Happy New Year (Belated!)

    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 30, 2011
      I think this is the longest I've ever gone without posting here; between the new job and family obligations, I've just been straight out! But, I'm not complaining- I just miss having the time to chit-chat.

      Even though it's the middle of January, we're already looking at camp grounds. There's a place up in Maine we're checking out called Wild Duck Campground in Scarborough Maine. http://www.wildduckcampground.com/index.html Has anyone been there?

      We'd still like to go to Vermont at least once and we're hoping to do a longer trip to Niagara Falls or maybe Canada, if we can work out all the logistics involved in going to another country. We know people who cross the border a few times a year and they can't bring certain things in their trailer- no meat, no eggs, etc. Plus, we'd have to be sure the pets are up on their shots.... something many parks require, too.

      Anyway, we're still deciding. And we're watching gas prices. UGH. The good news is that my new job is mobile and I can work anywhere I can get the Internet. I may invest in one of those Internet cards you can get through your cell phone company.

      Well, time to get back to work!

      Take care~ Beth
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 30, 2011
        Hi Beth,

        Happy New Year! LOL! I actually visited that campground and didn't care for it. It is adults only, very small and most spots were shady and under trees. We took a ride through this park when we were camping down the road at Bailey's Resort.

        Maine Campgrounds - Hid'n Pines Family Campground & Powder Horn Family Camping Resort, Old Orchard Beach, Maine I stayed at Hid'n pines campground in Old Orchard and I like it there in is in about the same area that you are looking at.
        I have been looking around at campgrounds too! Checking different place on line.

        Joyce

        In a message dated 1/30/2011 5:19:31 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, blp7171@... writes:
[...]

      • anne chlovechok
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 30, 2011
          Those are nice, Beth. I've seen people use them, and if my work depended on it, I'd invest in one. I camped this weekend with the Boy Scouts at Iditerod (Ohio version). It wasn't that cold; only mid-20's at night. I have a good sleeping bag, so stayed pretty warm. My 11-year-old went for his first time, and he was pretty trepidatious. But now he knows he can do it. That is good for him, as he lost his father in September, and he's been feeling very low. I won't camp again until April. Looking forward to the warmer weather...though I have to say, there is something magical about seeing all those tents in the snow field, with a fire burning and everyone huddled around it. Makes for good companionship.
          Take care!
          Anne

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 31, 2011

            Hi Joyce!

            We were actually looking for an adults-only campground, since we are empty-nesters and really like the peace & quiet of the places that are for adults, only. If we had kids with us, of course we'd need a kid-friendly place; but other than that, we find most family-type campgrounds to be noisy and rather crowded. We also need shady sites, since the interior our motor home gets hot very fast in the sun. Do you recall how big the sites were? We're 40 feet long and 23' wide when the slide and awnings are out, so lot size is a concern. We were considering going up for Memorial Day weekend, but my Dad may need a ride to my sister's place in Vermont that weekend, so we'll put off making plans until we see when we'll be driving him up. Dad will be visiting the family north-east for a while, coming to Cape Cod first and then going up to see my sister and her family, so we're going to try to work a trip out of whenever he needs to go to Vermont.

            I'll check into those other places you mentioned, too, thanks! What with gas prices climbing so quickly, we're looking at places that are a 6 or 7 hour drive from the Cape- or less!

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 31, 2011
              Hello, Anne;

              It must have pretty chilly camping in the snow last weekend! My BIL is a scoutmaster in NW Vermont and I know they camp out even in the winter up there, but my goodness- I'm afraid I've gotten to the point where I really like the comfort of my motor home, even during the warm weather! My hat's off to you!

              I'm sorry to hear that your 11 year old lost his dad. I hope the camping trip helped to keep him occupied and keep his spirits up.

              ~ Beth

              --- In thehappycampers8-D@yahoogroups.com, anne chlovechok <anne_chlovechok@...> wrote:

              > Those are nice, Beth. I've seen people use them, and if my work depended on it,
              > I'd invest in one. I camped this weekend with the Boy Scouts at Iditerod (Ohio
              > version). It wasn't that cold; only mid-20's at night. I have a good sleeping
              > bag, so stayed pretty warm. My 11-year-old went for his first time, and he was
              > pretty trepidatious. But now he knows he can do it. That is good for him, as he
              > lost his father in September, and he's been feeling very low. I won't camp again
              > until April. Looking forward to the warmer weather...though I have to say, there
              > is something magical about seeing all those tents in the snow field, with a fire
              > burning and everyone huddled around it. Makes for good companionship.
              > Take care!
              > Anne
            • anne chlovechok
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 31, 2011
                I wish I could go to an adults only campground! Someday. Not yet, that's for sure! Anne

                We were actually looking for an adults-only campground, since we are empty-nesters and really like the peace & quiet of the places that are for adults, only. If we had kids with us, of course we'd need a kid-friendly place; but other than that, we find most family-type campgrounds to be noisy and rather crowded. We also need shady sites, since the interior our motor home gets hot very fast in the sun. Do you recall how big the sites were? We're 40 feet long and 23' wide when the slide and awnings are out, so lot size is a concern. We were considering going up for Memorial Day weekend, but my Dad may need a ride to my sister's place in Vermont that weekend, so we'll put off making plans until we see when we'll be driving him up. Dad will be visiting the family north-east for a while, coming to Cape Cod first and then going up to see my sister and her family, so we're going to try to work a trip out of whenever he needs to go to Vermont.

                I'll check into those other places you mentioned, too, thanks! What with gas prices climbing so quickly, we're looking at places that are a 6 or 7 hour drive from the Cape- or less!

                ~ Beth

                > Happy New Year! LOL! I actually visited that campground and didn't care for
                > it. It is adults only, very small and most spots were shady and under
                > trees. We took a ride through this park when we were camping down the road at
                > Bailey's Resort.
                >
                > _Maine Campgrounds - Hid'n Pines Family Campground & Powder Horn Family
                > Camping Resort, Old Orchard Beach, Maine_ (http://www.hidnpines.com/) I
                > stayed at Hid'n pines campground in Old Orchard and I like it there in is in
                > about the same area that you are looking at.
                > I have been looking around at campgrounds too! Checking different place on
                > line.
                >
                > Joyce

              • anne chlovechok
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 31, 2011
                  Thanks, Beth. Jim (my ex...still on very good terms) died in a house fire in September. Never woke up, thank God. We have five children. Now I'm trying to put it all back together. You can imagine. No insurance, we're losing the house. Good grief. But we'll be fine...thank God for social security (I'm on the dole!) and for the loving support of friends and family. I think faith and attitude are everything. I'm looking for a full time job now, which will cut into the camping, I'm afraid. Odd place to find myself at 48. But you never know.

                  It was chilly...but we kept warm with layers, campfire, good sleeping bags, toasty toes and dinner in the lodge!

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 31, 2011
                    Anne;

                    I'm so sorry! :-(

                    I might know of some work for you; I've been working for AOL since November and managed to get my daughter a job with them, too. It's on-line and from wherever you can get on the Internet. All you need are writing and computer skills- nothing hard.

                    Let me know if you are interested. You can call me if you want- (774-237-0388) I'll be home all day except to take the dog out for a half hour walk around noonish.

                  • anne chlovechok
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 31, 2011
                      What sort of writing do they need, Beth? (I can't call right now...I'm at work).
                      Anne

                      I might know of some work for you; I've been working for AOL since November and managed to get my daughter a job with them, too. It's on-line and from wherever you can get on the Internet. All you need are writing and computer skills- nothing hard.

                      Let me know if you are interested. You can call me if you want- (774-237-0388) I'll be home all day except to take the dog out for a half hour walk around noonish.

                      ~ Beth

                      --- In thehappycampers8-D@yahoogroups.com, anne chlovechok <anne_chlovechok@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks, Beth. Jim (my ex...still on very good terms) died in a house fire in
                      > September. Never woke up, thank God. We have five children. Now I'm trying to
                      > put it all back together. You can imagine. No insurance, we're losing the house.
                      > Good grief. But we'll be fine...thank God for social security (I'm on the dole!)
                      > and for the loving support of friends and family. I think faith and attitude are
                      > everything. I'm looking for a full time job now, which will cut into the
                      > camping, I'm afraid. Odd place to find myself at 48. But you never know.
                      >

                      > It was chilly...but we kept warm with layers, campfire, good sleeping bags,
                      > toasty toes and dinner in the lodge!
                      > Anne
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Elizabeth Allbright
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 31, 2011
                        OH Anne! So sorry you're going through these kind of challenges! Life just tosses us whatever...and you're so right, it's all about your attitude.
                        I would also recommend this blog: http://workathomemafia.com/   she posts lots of work at home jobs and the posts are quite detailed. Also, since she has a ton of experience in the field, I trust her listings.
                        Best of luck to you!
                        ~Lizbeth

                      • anne chlovechok
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 31, 2011
                          Thanks, Lizbeth!

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 31, 2011
                            Just short blurbs, for their news site "Patch" (www.Patch.com) no special training is needed. I am a "Calender Editor" and they're also branching me into some other categories as well. They had me free-lancing as a Business Directory Editor for while, because the Calender Editor job that I applied for didn't start for a few weeks and they needed some people for their Business Directory department in the mean time. But, this is s real job with Health Benefits through Aetna and a 401K. AOL is still building this site, so I haven't found my hours to be too regular, yet. Sometimes I'm going like crazy and sometimes my hours are fewer, but it should settle down eventually. What they need are people who can write; it doesn't have to be profound, but it does have to be correct. Apparently, what with texting and all, they're having a hard time finding people who can still compose full sentences with the proper upper and lower case letters, punctuation and words completely spelled out, etc.

                            Just let me know if you'd like more information. ~ Beth

                            --- In thehappycampers8-D@yahoogroups.com, anne chlovechok <anne_chlovechok@...> wrote:

                            > What sort of writing do they need, Beth? (I can't call right now...I'm at work).
                            > Anne
                          • anne chlovechok
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 31, 2011
                              I would, thanks. I'm a part-time newspaper feature writer at a daily in SE Ohio, so I should be able to handle the writing aspect. I am curious. (And I've only just learned how to text, so shouldn't be too corrupted yet!)

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 31, 2011
                                Anne;

                                Try this site: http://www.patch.com/ and then click on "Ohio" on the right. Look for towns anywhere near you, although they don't have to be in your area. I'm working on some cities that are almost 100 miles away. There should be a lead editor shown in the upper-left hand corner, with his or her email address. I would write a REALLY GOOD letter to a handful of editors, telling them about yourself, your experience and your interest in working for them. Be up-beat and enthusiastic; that's what they're looking for. You might mention that you know someone who already works for Patch who thinks you'd be good at it- they don't know me since I'm across the Country, but it might help.

                                Feel free to call if you want to talk about it. ~ Beth

                                --- In thehappycampers8-D@yahoogroups.com, anne chlovechok <anne_chlovechok@...> wrote:

                                > I would, thanks. I'm a part-time newspaper feature writer at a daily in SE Ohio,
                                > so I should be able to handle the writing aspect. I am curious. (And I've only
                                > just learned how to text, so shouldn't be too corrupted yet!)
                                > Anne
                              • anne chlovechok
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 31, 2011
                                  Interesting!

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 31, 2011
                                    Beth,

                                    Check out the campgrounds in Salisbury Beach, small quite and not many kids it is called Beach Rose Campground.
                                    I will try and think of some others also.

                                    Joyce

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 31, 2011
                                      Hi Beth,

                                      There were lots of shady sites there, I  don' know how big there were. I will check on some other campgrounds too!
                                      Joyce

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 31, 2011
                                        Thanks so much, Joyce! I REALLY appreciate your input! ! Beth

                                        > There were lots of shady sites there, I don' know how big there were. I
                                        > will check on some other campgrounds too!
                                        > Joyce
                                      • Happy
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jan 29, 2012
                                          Anne; I've found Adult Only campgrounds to be much more peaceful and relaxing! I'm sold on the idea!