Hi Joyce;

    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 9, 2010
      Hi Joyce; For some reason, Yahoo won't let me reply to your last message so I'll just start another new post.

      It does seem like you & I are the only ones here on a regular basis any more; I keep hoping some of our other old faithfuls will return when they can. I know how it is to be really busy (like I've been from time to time when it seems like I hardly get a spare minute to be on the computer) but I'm grateful that you still stick around to share both your camping and non-camping news and photos with us.

      We don't have any plans to go anywhere this month, especially since I'm in charge of my mother's funeral arrangements, which will take place in September. I feel like a funeral director, but I don't mind, since this is the last thing I can do for my Mom. But, we do plan on getting away for 11 days in September and we'll be more than ready for it by then! It'll just be another trip to Vermont (for the third time this year) but that's okay; we'll have lots of family around.

      Talk to you soon! ~ Beth
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 10, 2010
        HI Beth,
        You will busy this month with your mother's funeral, yes this will be the last thing you will do for her but what a wonderful job you have done. She would be so proud of you.
        11 days in Vermont sound wonderful, it will be good for you to get away for a while and rest and have some down time and a few laughs.

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 28, 2010
            Hi Joyce;

            Wow, time goes by so fast! It has been a busy few weeks since I've last checked in and I kept thinking that "I'll get on the site tomorrow" but it just kept going on & on.... tomorrow... tomorrow....

            Anyway, it's nice to see a little activity on the message board while I was gone!

            Yes, we are SO looking forward to going to Vermont again for a week and a half! Lorne & I both need the rest and it will be nice to see our family up there, too. Plus, after living in our motor home for two years, we do miss it and we really enjoy getting back in it for a while. If we had the where-with-all, we'd be full-timers again!

            Thanks for your kind comments about my Mom's funeral. It will happen not long after we return home. We had to set the date ahead so that family and friends could make their arrangements to attend and the end of September was the best time for everyone to be on Cape Cod for the funeral. In a way, I'm glad we had to put it off to give my Dad time to adjust to Mom being gone; this has been really hard on him and he's the sort to want to grieve in private, not in public at a funeral.

            Are you at the campground this weekend? We've got beautiful weather here; I hope you do, too!

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 28, 2010
              Hi Beth,

              Yes, we are at the campground. I can't believe that next weekend is already our last weekend here, it went by so fast.

              I am glad you will get away and get some rest it is very draining and almost blur like to plan a funeral.

              I would love to be a full time RV'er, maybe in a few years, if I can ever talk my husband into selling the house.

              yes, the weather is wonderful.

              Have a great day and take care of yourself.

              Joyce

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 31, 2010
                Hello, Joyce!

                Is Labor Day weekend you last weekend? I hope the weather cooperates with Hurricane Earl coming up the coast!

                We're heading out early Thursday morning.... as early as we can get rolling, to beat the worst of the mid-day heat (supposed to be beastly hot that day) and arrive before noon.

                But, in the mean time, one more day of work and then packing up the motor home. Can't wait to hit the road.... free! Free at last!!!

                Today I had a nice long talk with the minister who will officiate at my Mom's funeral; it was great to see him after many years and we had fun catching up.... gabbed for hours. I also gave the house a good cleaning and Hubby & I did our final grocery shopping trip before we leave.

                Well, I suppose I'd better get going and get the last of my chores done- it's getting late.

                I hope you have a GREAT last weekend at the campground!

                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 1, 2010
                  Hi Beth,

                  You too! have a great vacation and take a little time for yourself.

                  Yes, I hope this storm doesn't hit on our last weekend in Bar Harbor.

                  Joyce

                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 14, 2010
                    Hello, Joyce;

                    How was your Labor Day weekend? Did the storm affect Bar Harbor? Amazingly, we did get rain bands and high winds all the way up at Lake Champlain! It rained rather heavy at times and it was very windy- enough to shake our 10 ton motor home! But, it did clear off from time to time that we were able to get out and sight-see and go apple picking at Allenholm Farm, which was great fun. Allenholm Farm also makes and serves Maple ice cream..... YUM!!!! I've never had it before and it was delicious!

                    We also took the Grand Isle Ferry over to New York to take a drive around Plattsburg, since we'd never been there before. Despite the wind, the ride was pretty smooth- but lots of spray was coming over the rail! It was cool to see more of the lake and I was able to take some photos, which I will post shortly.

                    Not long after we returned home, it was time to finish preparations for my Mom's funeral. Luckily the weather cooperated; it was a mild, slightly overcast day and not as windy as it often is on the Cape. The service went beautifully; I was happy to see so many people there- even some of my parents' old crew from their live-aboard charter boat, Freya (63' schooner). The Memorial Luncheon held after in honor of my Mom also went well- and went by so fast! The group of people filled the Village Hall that we had rented for the event and I tried to take at least a few minutes to talk to everyone.... by the time I was finally sitting down to have a quick bite to eat, people were just starting to leave and I was surprised to see that it was 3:30pm already!

                    Anyway, I hope my Mom would have been pleased. This was my first attempt at putting together a funeral, AND the first time I'd ever been to a funeral, and I wanted very much to get it right for Mom.

                    Now it's baby-time. Both daughters are pregnant, but one is due any minute - in fact- many people at the funeral were wondering if she'd make it through the service; but she's still hanging in there, much to her annoyance. She wants to get it over-with and finally get to meet the little girl she's been anticipating for so long! :-)

                    Hope all is well with you and your family! ~ Beth

                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 15, 2010
                      Hi Beth,

                      We had to leave Bar Harbor because the storm was suppose to be bad, so we ended up coming home, well as turned out it was nothing, I was really sad about that. We have winterized out camper and it is put away for the season. I am glad to see that your mom's memorial went well for you.  Not much else going on here in Maine just getting ready for the winter.

                      Congratulations on your new grandchildren to be. Time goes by so fast my grandson is 17 and my granddaughter is 12, but I also have a new grandson that is almost 2.

                      Joyce

                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 16, 2010
                        Hi Joyce;

                        I'm so sorry to hear that your Labor Day weekend at Bar Harbor was ruined by the storm..... especially since it was a no-show. :-/ Do you think you'll go back there again next year?

                        Our temperatures have been fairly mild; I don't think our nights have dropped any lower than the mid-forties, yet, so we've been putting off the winterizing process in hopes we might get to go on one more late season camping trip, but hubby Lorne has had to work every weekend since we returned home from Vermont (except the weekend of my Mom's funeral) so it never panned out.

                        Thanks for the congrats! I love be a grandma! I think these two babies will be the last of my grandkids. One daughter is having her third girl and she says that this is it for her, and my other daughter's husband already has two kids from his first marriage, so they are just going to have this one baby.... so they say.... you know how that goes.... best laid plans of mice and men and all!

                        Well, I'm off to start a busy day of cooking and cleaning! Hope you're having a great weekend!

                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 16, 2010
                          Hi Beth,

                          So far the temps haven't been too bad, very cool and windy today, after yesterdays rain. I love being a grandmother too! My grandchildren are growing up so fast.

                          I am looking forward to next season camping, I hope I find someplace nice to go.

                          Joyce

                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 24, 2010
                            Hello, Joyce;

                            We've had quite a bit of wind and rain, too, although the last few days have been pleasant- breezy and cool (temps in the 50's) but sunny. It looks as though we're in for a dark, damp week coming up to get us into the mood for Halloween. Today, most of the grandkids will be over for a pumpkin carving day- should be a busy and messy day!

                            Have you picked out any camp grounds for next year, yet? We're looking at a State Park in the Lake Champlain Islands that we checked out this summer, but we haven't made any concrete plans, yet. We're still considering going to some new places, too- something within a day's drive of the Cape. Like you, we're hoping to find somewhere nice to go.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 24, 2010
                              Hi Beth,

                              I haven't found any place yet, I want to checkout a campground about an hour and 15 minutes a way from here they also offer 3 month stay for the summer, I really liked leaving the camper in one spot and traveling every Thursday after work. But not Bar Harbor this time it was quite the long ride. This is a little closer, but I haven't had a chance to visit the campground yet.

                              We have plans for Halloween weekend we are going to Bethel Maine and staying over night they are having a dance and party so it should be lots of fun, we are going with 2 other couples. We are staying at Sunday River Resort, I hope it is lots of fun.

                              Joyce

                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 27, 2010
                                Happy Birthday, Joyce!

                                I hope you have something fun planned for your special day!

                                Are you going to drive to this other campground and look it over?

                                Your Halloween weekend sounds like a wonderful time! Is it a costumed event? I'm not big into dressing up, but I do love to see other people's costumes; some people are SO clever when they rig something up! Last year, my daughter Virginia and her hubby went to a party as Morticia and Gomez Addams and they looked GREAT!

                                Please let us know how it goes!

                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 27, 2010
                                  Hi Beth,

                                  Thanks  for  the birthday wishes, I am going to drive to the campground and check it out.
                                  I don't like to dress up either, this party is I think a fifties theme. I am not sure If I am going to wear 50's clothing or not.

                                  Joyce

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 24, 2010
                                    Joyce;

                                    How did you like the campground?

                                    I saw your photos of the 50's party on Facebook; it looked like fun! Now nice of Elvis to drop in! The costumes were a hoot!

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 24, 2010
                                      Hi Beth,

                                      It was fun, not to many people stayed for the dance it was a party that was giving tribute to all the people who drive for Community Concepts Transportation,this is a group that transport low income people or the elderly to dr.app. and other places they get paid gas mileage . My friend is retired and he does this a few days a week, so a lot of elderly people volunteer and they went home early. LOL
                                      We still had fun!

                                      Joyce