Re: [thehappycampers8-D] Re: Hi

  • anne chlovechok
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 2 6:45 AM
      Hi, Beth.

      Turns out the tires are on backwards because they aren't the correct tires for the camper. They are too wide, and needed to be turned around to fit. Huh. So they're aired up and fine for now, but must eventually be replaced.

      I got all new lights from a junkyard dealing with campers near Zanesville (actually the guy doing the work got them) and they're getting me an original vent. The camper needs to be re-wired for safety, but the way I dealt with that was to simply get a 25 foot outdoor extension cord, bring it in through the side, and power everything with that. Even my purple, flashing bat lights. I'm going to have the stove/sink assembly removed, as the propane tank is no good anyway, and the thing seems to attract nesting wasps. I'll still have the nice little shelf that opens out, and will use my camp stove on that.

      Hooking up to the hitch was a bear. I didn't realize you need to pick it up and drop it on. Once I got that down, it was all good. It pulls fine, though I did have an odd pulling sensation occasionally, as if the camper were tugging back against the van.

      The vent did leak when it rained cats and dogs for 12 hours, but no biggie...I moved Cooper over to the table bed and put a tupperware underneath until it stopped. In the morning we boosted one of the kids up to place a tray over the vent.  I get the new vent cover next week. I was pretty proud of myself for getting it all set up by myself ... with a little help from my friend! The canopy is in good shape with only a couple of pinhole leaks. The chain and spring contraption for anchoring the canopy was interesting, and worked well once I figured it out. Anyone know why a Rockwood canopy would be covered with tiny "F's" all over?

      The funniest thing that happened on our maiden voyage was when, in the middle of the night, a racoon climbed up on the exterior table and stood on a tray full of utensils, which was hanging half way off the table. His scream as he and the tray fell, and the ensuing racket, woke us all up. That's when we discovered the rain! I think I'll add a couple of foam mattresses to my bed, but all in all, we were snug and comfy. I'm looking forward to going again in a couple of weeks.

      Anne

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 2 10:34 AM
        Ann;

        Wow, you've been busy! Any photos of the new pop-up camper, yet? It sounds like you're getting all it's little problems fixed- and any used camper is going to have some issues- thank-goodness that nothing has been too serious! You should be proud of yourself for figuring everything out!

        That raccoon must have been rather surprised to find himself on the ground with all kinds of utensils raining down on him!

        Did you get a rack for the back, yet?