Hi

  • swolsky2
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 5 4:44 AM
      We spent the week at Pt. Sebago Maine and despite the terrible weather we had a pretty good time. I don't post here that much but was hoping someone could helpl me out with a small problem. I have a roo travel trailer and they ends fold out like a pop up and the canvas is all moldy. I tried a few things yesterday but doesn't seem to work that great. Any suggestions would be great. Sherri
    • Joyce
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 5 10:55 AM
        --- In thehappycampers8-D@yahoogroups.com, "swolsky2" <swolsky2@...> wrote:

        > We spent the week at Pt. Sebago Maine and despite the terrible weather we had a pretty good time. I don't post here that much but was hoping someone could helpl me out with a small problem. I have a roo travel trailer and they ends fold out like a pop up and the canvas is all moldy. I tried a few things yesterday but doesn't seem to work that great. Any suggestions would be great. Sherri

        Sherri,

        First, let it dry out really well and with a soft cloth and awesome cleaner (it is sold in the dollar store.) Spray and rub until the mold comes off let dry throughly again. You may have to do it more than once, also try a small patch to make sure the cleaner doesn't discolor the canvas.

        Joyce
      • swolsky2
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 5 2:05 PM
          --- In thehappycampers8-D@yahoogroups.com, "Joyce" <Jedcad@...> wrote:

          > --- In thehappycampers8-D@yahoogroups.com, "swolsky2" <swolsky2@> wrote:
          > >
          > > We spent the week at Pt. Sebago Maine and despite the terrible weather we had a pretty good time. I don't post here that much but was hoping someone could helpl me out with a small problem. I have a roo travel trailer and they ends fold out like a pop up and the canvas is all moldy. I tried a few things yesterday but doesn't seem to work that great. Any suggestions would be great. Sherri
          > >
          > Sherri,
          >
          > First, let it dry out really well and with a soft cloth and awesome cleaner (it is sold in the dollar store.) Spray and rub until the mold comes off let dry throughly again. You may have to do it more than once, also try a small patch to make sure the cleaner doesn't discolor the canvas.

          Joyce: Thanks I will try the Awesome cleaner. Wonder if Dollar Tree is still open right now.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 5 3:29 PM
            Sherri,

            We use it to clean our awning and the outside of our camper.

            Joyce

            In a message dated 7/5/2009 5:06:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, swolsky2@... writes:
            --- In thehappycampers8-D@yahoogroups.com, "Joyce" <Jedcad@...> wrote:

            > --- In thehappycampers8-D@yahoogroups.com, "swolsky2" <swolsky2@> wrote:
            > >
            > > We spent the week at Pt. Sebago Maine and despite the terrible weather we had a pretty good time.  I don't post here that much but was hoping someone could helpl me out with a small problem.  I have a roo travel trailer and they ends fold out like a pop up and the canvas is all moldy. I tried a few things yesterday but doesn't seem to work that great.  Any suggestions would be great.  Sherri
            > >
            > Sherri,
            >
            > First, let it dry out really well and with a soft cloth and awesome cleaner (it is sold in the dollar store.) Spray and rub until the mold  comes off let dry throughly again. You may have to do it more than once, also try a small patch to make sure the cleaner doesn't discolor the canvas.

            Joyce:  Thanks I will try the Awesome cleaner.  Wonder if Dollar Tree is still open right now.

                mailto:thehappycampers8-D-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mailto:thehappycampers8-D-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          • swolsky2
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 9 2:03 PM
              --- In thehappycampers8-D@yahoogroups.com, "Joyce" <Jedcad@...> wrote:

              > --- In thehappycampers8-D@yahoogroups.com, "swolsky2" <swolsky2@> wrote:
              > >
              > > We spent the week at Pt. Sebago Maine and despite the terrible weather we had a pretty good time. I don't post here that much but was hoping someone could helpl me out with a small problem. I have a roo travel trailer and they ends fold out like a pop up and the canvas is all moldy. I tried a few things yesterday but doesn't seem to work that great. Any suggestions would be great. Sherri
              > >
              > Sherri,
              >
              > First, let it dry out really well and with a soft cloth and awesome cleaner (it is sold in the dollar store.) Spray and rub until the mold comes off let dry throughly again. You may have to do it more than once, also try a small patch to make sure the cleaner doesn't discolor the canvas.
              >
              > Joyce

              Hi Joyce: I'm assuming it is the regular Awesome cleaner that is kind of yellow in color? I got that one and the organge degreaser. There were several kinds of Awesome cleaner. Also, I'm guessing it is ok to do the inside canvas as that is where the mold is. Thanks. Sherri

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 9 2:05 PM
                Hi Sherri,

                I buy the one in that is yellow, we have been using it for years.

                Joyce

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 10 2:44 AM

                  > Hi Sherri,
                  >
                  > I buy the one in that is yellow, we have been using it for years.
                  >
                  > Joyce
                  >

                  > In a message dated 7/9/2009 5:03:41 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                  > swolsky2@... writes:
                  >
                  > --- In thehappycampers8-D@yahoogroups.com, "Joyce" <Jedcad@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In thehappycampers8-D@yahoogroups.com, "swolsky2" <swolsky2@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > We spent the week at Pt. Sebago Maine and despite the terrible weather
                  > we had a pretty good time. I don't post here that much but was hoping
                  > someone could helpl me out with a small problem. I have a roo travel trailer
                  > and they ends fold out like a pop up and the canvas is all moldy. I tried a
                  > few things yesterday but doesn't seem to work that great. Any suggestions
                  > would be great. Sherri
                  > > >
                  > > Sherri,
                  > >
                  > > First, let it dry out really well and with a soft cloth and awesome
                  > cleaner (it is sold in the dollar store.) Spray and rub until the mold comes
                  > off let dry throughly again. You may have to do it more than once, also try
                  > a small patch to make sure the cleaner doesn't discolor the canvas.
                  > >
                  > > Joyce
                  >
                  > Hi Joyce: I'm assuming it is the regular Awesome cleaner that is kind of
                  > yellow in color? I got that one and the organge degreaser. There were
                  > several kinds of Awesome cleaner. Also, I'm guessing it is ok to do the
                  > inside canvas as that is where the mold is. Thanks. Sherri
                  > >
                  > Doesn't want to get the mold out of my canvas. Perhaps a soft brush?

                  > **************Summer concert season is here! Find your favorite artists on
                  > tour at TourTracker.com.
                  > (http://www.tourtracker.com/?ncid=emlcntusmusi00000006)

                • anne chlovechok
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 10 5:35 AM
                    Hi, Joyce, Beth and all...well, I finally bought a pop-up camper. It's a Rockwood, about 28 years old. There is no mildew and the canvas and screens are in good shape. I need a new vent cover (my friend has a cafeteria tray with a rock over the hole) and new rear light covers...the red ones...and a few other things. The propane tank is obsolete now, so I thought I'd take it off and have a metal rack made and welded on to make a carry area for bikes or coolers, whatever. The tires are on backward! So I have to be creative getting air in them...they're a bit low. Some rust on wheel rims and the weather stripping on top of camper needs to be reattached and caulked. I want to use it end of July. I need to haul it to the camper place for these repairs, but I'm afraid to try with low tires and no lights. Still, it was only $200. It's worth at least that! Anne

                        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/thehappyca mpers8-D/ join

                        http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 10 6:22 AM
                      Hello,

                      That is a good deal, it won't cost to much to do the repairs.  Sounds like you will be camping the end of July.

                      Joyce

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 11 10:46 AM
                        Sherri;

                        I'm glad the bad weather didn't put too much of a damper on your camping!

                        Just a thought about the mildew on your canvas.... mildew is common on boats, so you might try a boating store like West Marine or some place like that and ask the staff if they have any suggestions to get rid of the mildew and possibly treat the canvas afterward to keep it from coming back.

                        Good luck & please let us know how you make out!

                        ~ Beth

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 11 10:57 AM
                          Anne;

                          Those repairs shouldn't be too be a deal; it sounds like all the basics are in good shape- not bad at all for $200.00!

                          Just some ideas, but is the camper place very far away? Would they pick it up for you so you don't have to tow it there? Maybe they could get the tires turned around and bring a small compressor to fill them up properly before they bring it in. In any case, I wish you lots of luck with it and I hope it's already to go by late July!

                          I like your plan to put a rack on the back! Please keep us posted!

                          ~ Beth

                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 2, 2009
                            Hi, Beth.

                            Turns out the tires are on backwards because they aren't the correct tires for the camper. They are too wide, and needed to be turned around to fit. Huh. So they're aired up and fine for now, but must eventually be replaced.

                            I got all new lights from a junkyard dealing with campers near Zanesville (actually the guy doing the work got them) and they're getting me an original vent. The camper needs to be re-wired for safety, but the way I dealt with that was to simply get a 25 foot outdoor extension cord, bring it in through the side, and power everything with that. Even my purple, flashing bat lights. I'm going to have the stove/sink assembly removed, as the propane tank is no good anyway, and the thing seems to attract nesting wasps. I'll still have the nice little shelf that opens out, and will use my camp stove on that.

                            Hooking up to the hitch was a bear. I didn't realize you need to pick it up and drop it on. Once I got that down, it was all good. It pulls fine, though I did have an odd pulling sensation occasionally, as if the camper were tugging back against the van.

                            The vent did leak when it rained cats and dogs for 12 hours, but no biggie...I moved Cooper over to the table bed and put a tupperware underneath until it stopped. In the morning we boosted one of the kids up to place a tray over the vent.  I get the new vent cover next week. I was pretty proud of myself for getting it all set up by myself ... with a little help from my friend! The canopy is in good shape with only a couple of pinhole leaks. The chain and spring contraption for anchoring the canopy was interesting, and worked well once I figured it out. Anyone know why a Rockwood canopy would be covered with tiny "F's" all over?

                            The funniest thing that happened on our maiden voyage was when, in the middle of the night, a racoon climbed up on the exterior table and stood on a tray full of utensils, which was hanging half way off the table. His scream as he and the tray fell, and the ensuing racket, woke us all up. That's when we discovered the rain! I think I'll add a couple of foam mattresses to my bed, but all in all, we were snug and comfy. I'm looking forward to going again in a couple of weeks.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 2, 2009
                              Ann;

                              Wow, you've been busy! Any photos of the new pop-up camper, yet? It sounds like you're getting all it's little problems fixed- and any used camper is going to have some issues- thank-goodness that nothing has been too serious! You should be proud of yourself for figuring everything out!

                              That raccoon must have been rather surprised to find himself on the ground with all kinds of utensils raining down on him!

                              Did you get a rack for the back, yet?