Re: [thehappycampers8-D] Re: Ice Everywhere!

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 28, 2009
      Hello,

      That sounds wonderful, I would love to be in 72 degrees laying out in the sun.  I can't wait until I retire so I can lay in the sun all winter some place.

      Joyce

      Know Your Numbers: Get tips and tools to help you improve your credit score.
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2009
        Ann,

        Gosh, that sounds cold! We've been going through lots of hot
        chocolate, too- this icy, windy, raw weather just seems to go hand in
        hand with hot drinks! Especially after taking Sammy, who doesn't seem
        to mind the cold, for long walks.

        Good luck with avoiding frozen pipes!

        ~ Beth

        --- In thehappycampers8-D@yahoogroups.com, anne chlovechok
        <anne_chlovechok@...> wrote:

        > Hi, Becky, and hi everybody. I haven't gotten on in awhile, but I've
        been enjoying reading up on everybody's stuff. It's pretty bad up here
        in Cambridge, too. I cancelled an interview today (I work for the
        Jeffersonian) because of the ice. When I let my dogs out their legs
        kept going out from under them. I just hope we don't lose our heat.
        Though I went camping last weekend with the boy scouts and venture
        scouts at Muskingum Valley Scout Reservation up by Coshocton and it
        got down to 5F Saturday night. I stayed warm in my 4 season tent with
        toasty toes and a goose down comforter over my winter bag with a
        fleece insert. And I wore my furry hat in bed. Sunday morning my
        breath had condensed on the inside of the tent as ice crystals, so
        it's still set up in my dining room so it won't mildew. I should
        really put it away now, I guess. But my pipes don't have warm tents
        and sleeping bags to cuddle into, so I still hope we don't lose power.
        It's a stay-at-home
        > with hot chocolate kind of day. The folks in Maine probably get
        this kind of stuff all the time and think we're wimps!

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2009
          Becky;

          How's the ice situation down where you are now? This has sure been
          one heck of a winter! I'll bet that Timber has been enjoying the snow
          as much as Sammy has- this breed just seems to thrive in this kind of
          weather.

          Speaking of Sammy, he had to go to the Vet's recently with (sorry it's
          kind if a icky subject!) impacted/infected anal glands- it's
          supposedly very common in dogs, but I've never had a dog with this
          problem before. Poor Sammy! I'm glad they were able to fix him up
          quickly- but he'll be on antibiotics for quite a while. I know you've
          had several dogs so I was wondering if you've had any experiences with
          this before. The Vet said that there's nothing you can do to prevent
          the condition, but that some dogs are more prone to it that others.
          It seems like there ought to be SOMETHING a dog owner can do to keep
          this from happening! I read on line that it can help to add fiber to
          the dog's diet, so we're going to try giving him some oatmeal on
          occasion. Sammy loves oatmeal with non-fat yogurt, so it won't be any
          trouble to get him to eat it!

          How are your dogs doing? Have you posted any photos recent photos of
          them here? I looks like the Carousel Kennels Berner group has been
          deleted. I didn't have Internet for about six months so I wasn't able
          to keep up with it but when I looked for it this fall, it seemed to be
          gone. That's too bad, since I really enjoyed hearing about all the
          other puppies from the Kennel.

          Take care & stay warm!

          ~ Beth

          --- In thehappycampers8-D@yahoogroups.com, "Becky & Jim" <caesar@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Again -
          >
          > I forgot to say - hope everyone is staying safe and warm. We're
          > encrusted in ice here in SE Ohio. Even Ohio University closed down
          > today. Just waiting for our power to snap. All of our utilities are
          > underground... but unfortunately the big lines outside of our property
          > are not. Ugh!
          >
          > Stay warm and toasty!
          >
          > Becky, Jim & Timber
          > Athens, OH

        • anne chlovechok
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1, 2009
            Hi, Beth. My old dog, Blue, now gone, had impacted anal glands repeatedly...we finally had them removed. She used to do what I called the "Boot scootin' boogy" across my white carpet (that's the color that was in the house..I never would have picked it with kids and dogs!) leaving ikky streaks. After the surgery, no more problems. Kind of a radical solution if your dog isn't too bad, though.

            I've got another doggy problem right now. My old shih-tzu, Betty Boop, has taken to biting children. I can't blame her, really, but I don't know what to do. I don't want to have her put down, and I can't give her away to anyone with children in their lives, which is most people, really, and Shih- Tzu rescue doesn't think that they can place her. She hasn't really hurt anyone yet, but it's only a matter of time. And kenneling her when kids come over didn't work, as my brother brought a kid over and I wasn't home, and she was bitten. Betty always goes for the face, too, and scares the heck out of the child. She's broken the skin a couple of times, too. When I write this out, it seems obvious that she must go, but the thought of DOING IT stops me every time. Sigh.

            Well, I've got my tent put away, and no more camping scheduled until April. My furnaces are almost in, and then we can patch all the holes in the walls and ceilings from putting in ducts and from the pipes bursting. Home ownership: Such a joy.

            The kids should go to school tomorrow for the first time in a week. Yeah! More snow headed in. We'll be in school all summer at this rate. Well, off to a superbowl party to enjoy the food, company and commercials. Who is playing?

            Anne

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 1, 2009
              Anne;

              Thanks for your input on Sammy's problem. The Vet did warn us that if
              this happens repeatedly that removing the glands can solve the
              condition. Sammy wasn't scooting, but he was suddenly, obviously in
              pain, so we took him in as an emergency case and they had to put him
              under to fix him up- as he wasn't going to let ANYONE mess around back
              there!

              I'm so sorry about your situation with Betty Boop- where's the Dog
              Whisperer when you need him? What a heart breaking decision to have
              to make. {{{HUGS}}}

              Enjoy the Super Bowl party- I don't know who's playing, either-
              neither hubby Lorne nor I follow sports so we are clueless when big
              games come up!

              Please keep us posted on Betty Boop- best of luck with her!

              <anne_chlovechok@...> wrote:

              > Hi, Beth. My old dog, Blue, now gone, had impacted anal glands
              repeatedly...we finally had them removed. She used to do what I called
              the "Boot scootin' boogy" across my white carpet (that's the color
              that was in the house..I never would have picked it with kids and
              dogs!) leaving ikky streaks. After the surgery, no more problems. Kind
              of a radical solution if your dog isn't too bad, though.

              > I've got another doggy problem right now. My old shih-tzu, Betty
              Boop, has taken to biting children. I can't blame her, really, but I
              don't know what to do. I don't want to have her put down, and I can't
              give her away to anyone with children in their lives, which is most
              people, really, and Shih- Tzu rescue doesn't think that they can place
              her. She hasn't really hurt anyone yet, but it's only a matter of
              time. And kenneling her when kids come over didn't work, as my brother
              brought a kid over and I wasn't home, and she was bitten. Betty always
              goes for the face, too, and scares the heck out of the child. She's
              broken the skin a couple of times, too. When I write this out, it
              seems obvious that she must go, but the thought of DOING IT stops me
              every time. Sigh.

              > Well, I've got my tent put away, and no more camping scheduled until
              April. My furnaces are almost in, and then we can patch all the holes
              in the walls and ceilings from putting in ducts and from the pipes
              bursting. Home ownership: Such a joy.

              > The kids should go to school tomorrow for the first time in a week.
              Yeah! More snow headed in. We'll be in school all summer at this rate.
              Well, off to a superbowl party to enjoy the food, company and
              commercials. Who is playing?

              > Anne
              >

              > ________________________________

            • anne chlovechok
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 1, 2009
                Thanks, Beth. It was fun. by the way, I checked out that waves campground, and as a tent camper it looks sparse...only four sites in the direct sun. but it looks nice for campers. I'd love to go to the ocean this summer. Pittsburgh won the super bowl. The commercials were good. Anne

                ____________ _________ _________ __

              • Becky & Jim
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 8, 2009
                  Beth -

                  So sorry not to get back on sooner. I've been enjoying these sort of
                  spring like days and the computer was last on my list. Today we had
                  high fifties. It was wonderful! I actually washed all of our cars
                  and got to rinse off the concrete on our driveway. It had been
                  covered with ice for about a month and tons of cinders were mixed in
                  with the ice from our roads here. Yuck! All is clean - at least
                  until the next snowfall! haha I'm sure we haven't seen the end of
                  it. We even had the windows open in the house. Yes - Timber has
                  been loving all the snow and ice. He's such a funny boy - he would
                  walk around the yard until he found a pile of snow or ice and just
                  plop down on it. Now we're up to our eyeballs in mud. Lots of dog
                  towels in use today.

                  Yes - we have encountered the plugged up anal glands. For the faint
                  of heart or not a dog lover - quit reading here... I warned ya! Go
                  to the next paragraph if you don't want to read.
                  Cledus our Rottie had a problem about a year ago with his glands not
                  draining. The vet showed ME how to clear them out. Major yuck!
                  Anyway - we did the antiobiotic route and then I had to do this
                  nightly for about a week. Firm fitting rubber gloves are a necessity
                  for this and vaseline jelly. While one person is holding the head
                  securely - the other with rubber gloves on/with vaseline on one
                  finger - gentle inserts the finger into the anal opening. When your
                  finger is about 3/4 of the way in - you will feel the anal glands on
                  the top and bottom. They feel like small water filled balloons. You
                  gentle massage them and they will release. To me it felt like a huge
                  zit - when it released the size went away. Be prepared with a
                  towel. Once Cledus let me have it and it wasn't pretty. We had to
                  do this for about a week. Luckily - we only had one bout with it.
                  Vet wasn't sure what caused it - no change in foods, etc... Thank
                  goodness - we haven't had a recurrence. When those glands become
                  infected or full and they don't naturally let them loose - it can
                  cause a lot of pressure and affect their bowel movements. That's
                  what made us realize Cledus had a problem and he had gas really bad.
                  Sorry if I grossed anyone out. We're a dog family - so you do what
                  you have to do!

                  We hope to add to our family in the end of February or early March.
                  Mitzi is having a litter with Rush again and we're hoping for another
                  boy. His name will be Augie. My father-in-law passed away last
                  month and his middle name was August - so we all agreed that this pup
                  would have his nickname. Yep - the Carousel Yahoo group went away.
                  Mitzi had a woman sort of harrassing her on the group and she got
                  really upset with her. It was fun while it lasted... unfortunately I
                  couldn't keep in contact with our litter after the group closed. I
                  really would have liked to though. You're my best contact person
                  (and Mitzi of course), I wish Mitzi encouraged everyone to register
                  on the Berner Garde... it is such a wealth of information. Have you
                  guys registered Sammy on it? The BernerL yahoo group is fun too.
                  You're on that - aren't you? The Berner Garde has a wealth of Berner
                  information on it (health, xrays, pictures, etc...). Did I tell you
                  that Timber is carting now. Too cute! Jim built me a cart for
                  Christmas. It's too pretty to take out in the muddy yard right now.
                  We're doing parades and such. I think our dog club is going to be
                  working at a tree farm next Christmas. The family picks the tree,
                  the owner cuts and then our dogs will haul it out of the woods.
                  Can't wait!

                  I'm getting so excited to move to our new campground on the Ohio
                  River this summer. It will be really nice that we don't have to mow
                  our lot this year. It seemed every weekend when we would go down - I
                  would start off the weekend by mowing. Now I can just kick my feet
                  up and breath in the river life. I think we will need a bigger
                  camper though - with 4 humans (me, Jim, Braddock, Megan-Braddock's
                  girlfriend) and 3 big dogs - our camper will be rocking. I'm
                  starting to think about a new camper. Sort of thinking the bunkhouse
                  route. Jim and I would have a king size bed with a nice bedroom.
                  The bunkhouse would serve as all of the following: guest room (for
                  the kids when they're there), dog room when company comes over and
                  everyday storage - which there is never enough of! I haven't quite
                  got Jim sold on the bunk house concept yet though. I'm getting
                  spring fever and wanting to look at all the camper sales in our area.
                  We take our mom to the river with our 2 or 3 times a year - so I
                  guess the bunkhouse addition could be called a "mother-in-law suite
                  too! haha

                  Enjoy those spring days (if you're having them)! Don't lose your mud
                  boots - mine were nearly sucked off my feet today!

                  Boy - I'm windy! Sorry to bend your ear so long. Have a great week!

                  Becky, Jim, Braddock, Cledus, Timber and Mack (the Tomcat that
                  doesn't get to camp - he rules the roost when we're away)
                  Athens, OH