Re: Fare charts

  • Philip Fukuda
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 6, 2007
      --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Hicks"
      <fullparallel@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone on list have access to a CA&E timetable including fare
      > charts from the 1950's? I'm trying to figure out how much it cost to
      > ride between different points on the line. Thanks!
      >
      > Frank Hicks

      Frank,
      I've added a 1953 CA&E Fare Schedule to the Photo section. It
      looks like something the conductor would have carried to
      calculate fares aboard the train. However, it only shows
      fares between Forest Park-Wheaton and other points.

      I don't have a passenger tariff from that era which would
      have shown fares between all points (for example, Aurora and
      Batavia Junction).

      Phil Fukuda
    • roygbenedict@juno.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 7, 2007
        Batavia to Batavia Junction was 20c, so I presume Aurora to Batavia Junction also was 20c
        (the Fox River terminal fares usually were in parity with one another).

        Aurora, Elgin or Batavia to Wheaton (or the local stops near Wheaton such as Emory) was
        44c.

        These are in the period between 1953 and 1957.

        My understanding is that the 1953 fares to Forest Park were uniformly 18c less than the
        pre-1953 fares to Wells Street, subject to a 20c minimum between any points. (The 18c
        reduction represented the then price of a CTA fare, which was 5 rapid transit tokens for
        90c.) Thus you could infer most of the Wells Street fares from the 1953 fare chart which Phil
        mentions.

        ROY G. BENEDICT | Publishers' services
        PO Box 368, River Grove IL 60171 � R-Benedict-11@...
        Voice, message and fax: (773) 625-5263
        .
        .

        <fullparallel@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone on list have access to a CA&E timetable including fare
        > charts from the 1950's? I'm trying to figure out how much it cost to
        > ride between different points on the line. Thanks!
        >
        > Frank Hicks

        Frank,
        I've added a 1953 CA&E Fare Schedule to the Photo section. It
        looks like something the conductor would have carried to
        calculate fares aboard the train. However, it only shows
        fares between Forest Park-Wheaton and other points.

        I don't have a passenger tariff from that era which would
        have shown fares between all points (for example, Aurora and
        Batavia Junction).

        Phil Fukuda
      • Frank Hicks
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 8, 2007
          > I've added a 1953 CA&E Fare Schedule to the Photo section. It
          > looks like something the conductor would have carried to
          > calculate fares aboard the train.

          Thanks!! That's exactly what I was looking for!

          Frank Hicks