Interesting pic - North Shore on the CA&E

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 2006
      Interesting photo, shows CA&E Pullman 411, apparently trained with
      CNS&M 700, presumably on the CA&E. Can't tell for sure if the two cars
      are trained (Aren't there coupler differences, although an adaptor
      could be in use ??) but it appears as so, note that 411's pole is on
      the wire.

      http://www.davesrailpix.com/cae/htm/cae265.htm

      Anyone have any ideas ?
    • Scott Greig
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 7, 2006
        I suppose they could be coupled, though I don't know
        why they would be. The two cars could not have run in
        MU, as the North Shore's Westinghouse HLF control
        operated on about 150 volts, whereas the CA&E's GE
        type M control ran on 600 volts.

        Has anyone taken a real close look at the pic? They
        could just be stopped very close together.

        --- thegreatthirdrail <thegreatthirdrail@...>
        wrote:

        > Interesting photo, shows CA&E Pullman 411,
        > apparently trained with
        > CNS&M 700, presumably on the CA&E. Can't tell for
        > sure if the two cars
        > are trained (Aren't there coupler differences,
        > although an adaptor
        > could be in use ??) but it appears as so, note that
        > 411's pole is on
        > the wire.
        >

        > http://www.davesrailpix.com/cae/htm/cae265.htm
        >
        > Anyone have any ideas ?
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >
        > (Yahoo! ID required)

        mailto:thegreatthirdrail-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      • Mitchell Markovitz
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 7, 2006

          The CA&E car isn't close enough to the NSL car to be coupled, adaptor or not.

          Mitch

          Interesting photo, shows CA&E Pullman 411, apparently trained with
          CNS&M 700, presumably on the CA&E. Can't tell for sure if the two cars
          are trained (Aren't there coupler differences, although an adaptor
          could be in use ??) but it appears as so, note that 411's pole is on
          the wire.

          http://www.davesrai lpix.com/ cae/htm/cae265. htm

          Anyone have any ideas ?

          Mitch Markovitz, www.mitchmarkovitz.com 574.772.7939
        • Mitchell Markovitz
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 7, 2006

            My guess is that the picture is in Elgin. I think there was a yard track that had wire. If a bunch of cars were stored on a yard track, ready for service they all would have their poles up. They don't appear to be coupled. Just friendly.

            Mitch

            --- thegreatthirdrail <thegreatthirdrail@ yahoo.com>

          • roygbenedict@juno.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 7, 2006
              The location is the tail track at the east end of the "orchard" yard just west of Lockwood
              Avenue, Chicago. Photos of this location often have been misidentified as Wheaton, but the
              "alley arms" (offcenter arms on the electric distribution poles) are a clue to this spot in
              Chicago.

              If the 410 were coupled to the North Shore cars, you wouldn't see so much of its train door
              at that distance.

              ROY G. BENEDICT | Publishers' services
              PO Box 368, River Grove IL 60171 � R-Benedict-11@...
              Voice, message and fax: (773) 625-5263
              .
              .

              Interesting photo, shows CA&E Pullman 411, apparently trained with
              CNS&M 700, presumably on the CA&E. Can't tell for sure if the two cars
              are trained (Aren't there coupler differences, although an adaptor
              could be in use ??) but it appears as so, note that 411's pole is on
              the wire.

              http://www.davesrailpix.com/cae/htm/cae265.htm

              Anyone have any ideas ?
            • Joe Stupar
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 7, 2006
                I would tend to agree that they are not coupled, they
                are just sitting near each other. The two NSL cars
                look a lot closer than the 700 and the 411 are. The
                angle the photo is taken at blocks your view of the
                couplers and anti-climbers so it has hard to tell. As
                a side note, I have brought NSL cars into the barn out
                at IRM and brought them to within an inch of the
                coupler on 431. You can't tell they're not coupled
                unless you actually look at the couplers between the
                cars.

                Joe

                ---------------------------------

                wrote:

                > Interesting photo, shows CA&E Pullman 411,
                > apparently trained with
                > CNS&M 700, presumably on the CA&E. Can't tell for
                > sure if the two cars
                > are trained (Aren't there coupler differences,
                > although an adaptor
                > could be in use ??) but it appears as so, note that
                > 411's pole is on
                > the wire.
                >

                > http://www.davesrailpix.com/cae/htm/cae265.htm
                >
                > Anyone have any ideas ?
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                >
                > (Yahoo! ID required)

                mailto:thegreatthirdrail-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                Mitch Markovitz,www.mitchmarkovitz.com
                574.772.7939
              • Randall Hicks
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 8, 2006
                  --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "roygbenedict@..."
                  <roygbenedict@...> wrote:

                  > The location is the tail track at the east end of the "orchard" yard
                  just west of Lockwood
                  > Avenue, Chicago. Photos of this location often have been
                  misidentified as Wheaton, but the
                  > "alley arms" (offcenter arms on the electric distribution poles) are
                  a clue to this spot in
                  > Chicago.

                  From the paint schemes, this would be the late 30s. Also, the 700
                  appears to have a temporary bus jumper receptacle on the roof. These
                  were installed on the North Shore cars when they were being leased to
                  the CA&E for a short period.

                  And another reason you can't MU North Shore and CA&E cars is that the
                  control pipe gladhands are different.
                • RD347@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 8, 2006
                    In a message dated 11/8/2006 7:27:52 AM Central Standard Time, Randall.Hicks@... writes:
                    And another reason you can't MU North Shore and CA&E cars is that the
                    control pipe gladhands are different.
                    LOL Randy, Yea I bet RRs at that time could'nt figure out how to switch switch hoses or swap parts!!!

                    Stan Wdowikowski
                    Illinois Railway Museum
                    Electric Car Dept.