Postcard Scene

  • Randall Hicks
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2006
      Where exactly between Elgin and Aurora is this nice view (home page)
      of the Fox River line? I think I have it figured out, but let's see
      if anybody else has a guess. Hint: I'd say we must be looking south.

      Next question: Anybody care to speculate on why the Prince Crossing
      substation building seems to have deteriorated much more than
      Clintonville? Did the model railroad club ever have to do heavy
      structural work on the Clintonville building?
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2006
        My guess on the postcard view is Stop 2, Aurora City Limits.

        As regards the condition of the Prince Crossing building versus
        Clintonville...I've kept a casual eye on the Prince Crossing
        building off and on for about 15-20 years. The building has seen
        some hard use, and never really appeared to have any kind of decent
        upkeep. It always seemed like the owners viewed it as a "cast-off",
        just some old building from a railroad long dead and gone. Just get
        whatever use you can out of it, and dump it afterwards.

        Clearly the Clintonville building has been in the hands of
        more "historic/preservation" minded individuals. There has never
        been what I consider a strong traction presence within the club that
        occupies the building, the traction guy(s) had a small section at
        the south end of the layout which bascially amounted to a glorified
        trolley loop. That is not meant as a slight or condemnation on any
        level to the club, just an observation. Having said that, it's very
        obvious, even from a very casual visit, that the club is very aware
        of their building's heritage and importance. I highly recommend a
        visit to the club, they usually have a series of open houses in
        either October or November. If you miss any advertising, you can
        usually get info from B&G Hobbies in Elgin.

        John
      • Randall Hicks
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2006
          --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "thegreatthirdrail"
          <thegreatthirdrail@...> wrote:

          > My guess on the postcard view is Stop 2, Aurora City Limits.

          But that section is alongside the road (now 31) and is all pretty
          straight.
          I would guess that it's at Campana Road north of Batavia, where the
          line veered away from the highway (31) to go under the North Western's
          Aurora branch. The underpass would be just behind the photographer.
          Anybody else?