Re: CA&E slide show

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 24 7:31 AM
      Information I have regarding a Volume III from Mr Plachno is that while
      it was always planned, and is guesstimated to be roughly 85-90%
      complete, dont' expect to see it anytime soon, if ever. My
      understanding is that he's had a fairly rough go of things in his
      personal life over the last several years, and Volume III is one of
      the "collateral" victims.

      I know there are several other projects from Plachno equally in limbo,
      including a book on the North Shore's Electroliners. This particular
      project I have some inside information on, and the author is working
      with an outside source to at least bring that project to fruition.

      It would be a shame to see the trilogy not completed, maybe someone
      with an interest and/or skill set will contact Mr Plachno and help to
      move this project along. I can't see any way that it wouldn't be
      successful.

      John
    • glen brewer
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 24 9:23 AM
        I also live far away from the old tracks, and I also would love to see
        Steve Hyett's information.

        But, why not do it the modern way: on a web page?

        Glen

        --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, <afishel@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Tom, I appreciate your comments and "hope" that we and future
        > generations will have a chance to better know the CA&E through the
        efforts
        > of knowledgeable people and holders of archives of the CA&E.
        >

        > Alan
        >

        > _____

        IRM or
        > other locations, we could use this as a means to preserve the CA&E as we
        > all remember it. As we all know there are few photographic/video
        > collections of the CA&E available. Julie Johnson's book that was done in
        > the 60's was the first. I never got a copy and I wish now that I had.
        > There have been books done by CERA Bulletin 106, Gordon Lloyds book,
        Larry
        > Plachno's two books and the two videos, Sunday River was one and I can't
        > remember the other one. I used to own it buit I passed it on, and never
        > got a copy.
        >
        > As I look back on this thread, I hope I haven't built anyone's hopes
        up as
        > I brought up the memory of something that may or may not be able to come
        > to fruitation. I imagine an undertaking of this magnitutde will take
        a lot
        > of time and energy, and MONEY, and if this is able to work out, we all
        > have to look at the possibility of this not being profitable, as the
        CA&E
        > although popular in the midwest, will not make any money elswhere. This
        > may have to be an limited edition release. Just my two cents.
        > Tom Kaufman

      • riispark99
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 24 10:23 AM
          Steve Hyett is a Naperville historian who has presented before the
          Illinois Prairie Path Assoc. several times in the past.

          Maybe someone can reach him in that suburb.
        • Frank Devries
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 24 12:04 PM
            I can certainly appreciate life throwing one a curve
            ball. I hope all works out well for Mr. Plachno. I
            hope he will be convinced to continue/resume work on
            the third book. I have recently read the second book,
            and found it absolutly facinating. Having lived in
            Wheaton most of my life, and riding the "prarie path"
            for large distances, I find it absolutly facinating.
            I also enjoy the Urban Archeology that such reading
            inspires.

            Frank D.

            --- thegreatthirdrail <thegreatthirdrail@...>

            http://mail.yahoo.com