CA&E 308

  • Robert J. Thomas Ph.D., M.P.H.
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2006
      I had the IRM webpage up and used their webcams to follow actions at
      the Museum today, Jul2.

      Caught 308 and another CA&E car during a trip from the station
      Eastbound and a high speed run Westward.

      If I couldn't be there in person, I at least saw the cars run.

      Had the Spaulding Tower webcam up, plus the Main Line webcam. Also
      added ther CTC boaed to follow equipment passage.

      Thanks IRM !

      The real test will be the equipment parade on the Fourth of July.

      ...but the camera at Barn 2 needs some PM: lens cleaned !

      Bob T
    • Randall Hicks
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 3, 2006
        --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert J. Thomas Ph.D.,
        M.P.H." <rejthomas@...> wrote:
        > Caught 308 and another CA&E car during a trip from the station
        > Eastbound and a high speed run Westward.
        >
        > If I couldn't be there in person, I at least saw the cars run.

        Great, but that was NOT a "high speed run". If it had been, the cars
        would've been a blur. You trying to get me in trouble?? :)
      • Robert J. Thomas
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3, 2006
          When in view of Spaulding Tower webcam westbound, you should be starting to brake for the road and the "old" track!  ...else it's time IRM invested in a radar gun !  (Ha! Back to you !)

          > Caught 308 and another CA&E car during a trip from the station
          > Eastbound and a high speed run Westward.
          >
          > If I couldn't be there in person, I at least saw the cars run.

          Great, but that was NOT a "high speed run". If it had been, the cars
          would've been a blur. You trying to get me in trouble?? :)

        • Alan Fishel
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 3, 2006
            How can all of the rest of us out here be able to view the IRM web cameras? What is the URL and anything we need to know to get on line to view the action?

            Alan

            Many thousands of miles from the IRM but wanting to see the action. (now in Manila Philippines)

              > How can all of the rest of us out here be able to view the IRM web
              cameras? What is the URL and anything we need to know to get on line
              to view the action?

              Just log in to irm.org. There will be several choices along the left
              side of the page for webcams. They pop up and you can choose the size
              and update rate.

              Enjoy!
            • Randall Hicks
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 4, 2006
                <rejthomas@...> wrote:
                > ...else it's time IRM invested in a radar gun ! (Ha! Back to you !)

                Actually, IRM does use a radar gun to check compliance with the rules.
                Safety is very important to us. Since the older equipment doesn't
                have any sort of speedometer, the operating department generally hands
                out warnings instead of speeding tickets, so to speak. But it IS
                serious business. I just hope you're now ashamed of yourself. (Ha!)
              • Robert J. Thomas
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 4, 2006
                  While spending time at Johns Hopkins, week-end "un-wind" time ws spent on track crew, serving pull-offs for the 25th Street loop (to Pete Schmidt's drawings) and then went through their 1/2 year course for conductor (with written testand student onductor runs), motorman (with written and atudent runs0 such that Pete named me Safety Officer at BSM when he ran things.  These were on their hand-brake cars but did qual on 7407,

                  [Only had a brief intro to air brakes from John H, in the late 70s at IRM, but never had opportunity to do it officially.]

                  Business -wise I'm past administrator of the Consulatants Division of the ASSE.

                  I was a consultant to Directorate of Technical Support at OSHA in DC.

                  Yes, safety is the first worth to be learned !

                  Bob T

                  Gottcha !!

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 5, 2006
                    Gentlemen:

                    My apologies for a self-serving verbose response.  I was in "parallel" when I should have written in "series".

                    Bob T

                    .