Clintonville Station/Praire Path

  • riispark99
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 5, 2006
      Yesterday I rode my bike on the Praire Path from Wayne to Elgin.
      This is one of the most peaceful stretches since it goes through
      forest preserve, farmland and marshes. I had numerous chipmonks
      cross my path as well as two good sized box turtles. There are
      still a lot of cement signal and gate casings along the path though
      some unfortunately have been ripped out and lay on their sides along
      the path. It was nice to see that when the path reaches the river
      in Elgin a lot of the cement casings that held the overhead
      electric wires are still in the ground. I can imagine at this point
      the train stopping and the conductor raising the pole to the above
      lines.

      I have two questions things I was wondering about on my trip. First,
      the Clintonville station even today is in a remote spot and I was
      wondering why the CA&E built a station in the middle of nowhere and
      of all the stations along the way why did this one survive?

      Secondly, just outside of Elgin the path crosses the Metra lines. I
      realize that at some points the present day path doesn't follow the
      exact ROW. Did the CA&E cross the tracks (I guess these are CNW)
      here and how was this handled? Was there a tower at this point?
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 5, 2006
        Hello

        Correct me if I'm wrong but when you arrive in Elgin
        you go under an abandon railroad bridge..this is right
        before you approach the river and right after you
        cross the 2 sets of tracks (Metra). Wasn't that CNW?
        When you ride along the river and pass the Butera food
        store if you look up on the hill you should see a
        railroad depot.

        Mike

        --- riispark99 <kend@...> wrote:

        > Yesterday I rode my bike on the Praire Path from
        > Wayne to Elgin.
        > This is one of the most peaceful stretches since it
        > goes through
        > forest preserve, farmland and marshes. I had
        > numerous chipmonks
        > cross my path as well as two good sized box turtles.
        > There are
        > still a lot of cement signal and gate casings along
        > the path though
        > some unfortunately have been ripped out and lay on
        > their sides along
        > the path. It was nice to see that when the path
        > reaches the river
        > in Elgin a lot of the cement casings that held the
        > overhead
        > electric wires are still in the ground. I can
        > imagine at this point
        > the train stopping and the conductor raising the
        > pole to the above
        > lines.
        >
        > I have two questions things I was wondering about on
        > my trip. First,
        > the Clintonville station even today is in a remote
        > spot and I was
        > wondering why the CA&E built a station in the middle
        > of nowhere and
        > of all the stations along the way why did this one
        > survive?
        >
        > Secondly, just outside of Elgin the path crosses the
        > Metra lines. I
        > realize that at some points the present day path
        > doesn't follow the
        > exact ROW. Did the CA&E cross the tracks (I guess
        > these are CNW)
        > here and how was this handled? Was there a tower at
        > this point?

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • glen brewer
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 5, 2006
          I believe that the Clintonville building was actually a large
          substation and may not have had a waiting room or an agent for
          passengers. It was probably only a flagstop.

          If you look at my photograph taken after operations ended, you can
          still see the flag still in place.

          Glen
          Remembering the 'Ror'n' Elgin: http://www.homestaydenver.com/cae

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 5, 2006
            --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, Mike <mi0ke@...> wrote:

            > Hello
            >
            > Correct me if I'm wrong but when you arrive in Elgin
            > you go under an abandon railroad bridge..this is right
            > before you approach the river and right after you
            > cross the 2 sets of tracks (Metra). Wasn't that CNW?
            > When you ride along the river and pass the Butera food
            > store if you look up on the hill you should see a
            > railroad depot.

            Yes, you do go under an abandoned bridge which I examined during my
            trip. It was a one track bridge and I wasn't sure at first if this
            was the CA&E or the CNW. I believe this was a CNW spur. The Butera
            is in a strip mall that was the site of the great Elgin Watch Company
            till the mid 1960's. The depot serviced the watch company.
          • roygbenedict@juno.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 6, 2006
              The two railroads (the North Western and the Milwaukee Road, now Metra) crossed at grade. Their crossing probably was protected by an interlocking tower, but the CA&E was not involved in the crossing. Rather, the CA&E went under both of the railroads, curving to do it. Between the two underpasses it also went under a minor street which was on a trestle at this point. Just north of the trestle was the Collingbourne flag stop, which had a cast concrete waiting shelter.

              ROY G. BENEDICT | Publishers' services
              PO Box 368, River Grove IL 60171 � R-Benedict-11@...
              Voice, message and fax: (773) 625-5263
              .
              .

              riispark99 wrote:

              Yesterday I rode my bike on the Praire Path from Wayne to Elgin. . . .
              just outside of Elgin the path crosses the Metra lines. I
              realize that at some points the present day path doesn't follow the
              exact ROW. Did the CA&E cross the tracks (I guess these are CNW)
              here and how was this handled? Was there a tower at this point?
            • wgwiech
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 6, 2006
                Hi all,

                The abandoned railroad bridge (single track) is part of the the
                former CNW line that went through downtown Elgin and on to Crystal
                Lake, McHenry, and eventually terminating at Williams Bay, WI. The
                line branches off of the West Chicago - Belvidere line, just the
                other side (south) of the Metra (former Milwaukee Road) tracks. The
                depot (on National Street) is part of the same former CNW line. For
                years (after the railroad had no use for it) I remember that it was
                a TV repair shop. Glad it was saved and preserved.

                What I don't remember is if the CA&E crossing under the Metra tracks
                is still there or if it has been filled in.

                -Bill

                --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "riispark99" <kend@...>
                wrote:

                > --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, Mike <mi0ke@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello
                > >
                > > Correct me if I'm wrong but when you arrive in Elgin
                > > you go under an abandon railroad bridge..this is right
                > > before you approach the river and right after you
                > > cross the 2 sets of tracks (Metra). Wasn't that CNW?
                > > When you ride along the river and pass the Butera food
                > > store if you look up on the hill you should see a
                > > railroad depot.
                > >

                > Yes, you do go under an abandoned bridge which I examined during
                my
                > trip. It was a one track bridge and I wasn't sure at first if
                this
                > was the CA&E or the CNW. I believe this was a CNW spur. The
                Butera
                > is in a strip mall that was the site of the great Elgin Watch
                Company
                > till the mid 1960's. The depot serviced the watch company.

              • Randall Hicks
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 7, 2006
                  --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "wgwiech" <wgwiech@...> wrote:
                  > What I don't remember is if the CA&E crossing under the Metra tracks
                  > is still there or if it has been filled in.
                  >
                  > -Bill

                  It's been filled in. That's why the path crosses the Milwaukee tracks
                  at grade now. It seems like a lot of work to fill in a bridge like
                  that, but evidently it's worth it in reduced maintenance, since they
                  did it everywhere else along the CA&E.

                  The CN&W bridge is still there because it isn't used, as you
                  mentioned. Very rusty. It's a skew through truss at about a 45
                  degree angle, so not well suited to spanning the mighty Kishwaukee,
                  unfortunately. :)