RE: [thegreatthirdrail] Memorial Day on the Prairie Path

  • Larry M
    Message 1 of 7 , May 29, 2006
      Ray: In 1999 I had an older bike that was an older
      Raliegh. I presently have a Look carbon fibre frame
      with top line gruppo which would not be appropriate
      for anything gravel for any long distance. When I
      first really started with a new bike I bought a Trek
      1000 and used to ride the Green Bay Trail where it was
      a fine grade gravel. Later I rode the former NSL ROW
      between Kenosha and Racine which was gravel but I also
      have a Trek 930 Mountain Bike.

      Larry from da Twin Cities where we are very bike
      friendly.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Ray Cosyn
      Message 2 of 7 , May 29, 2006
        Larry, where do you get on the NSL ROW and how far north does it go? I assume you are talking about the Shore Line route and not the Skokie Valley route.

        --- Ray Cosyn <ray.cosyn@...> wrote:

        > I have ridden the prairie path on a number of
        > occasions. I can attest that
        > it is 95% gravel with a few sections paved. I ride
        > it on 1" wide 26" tires
        > and have no problems at all. Although I live on the
        > west coast I try to get
        > to Chicago once a year and in the process I like to
        > relive the days of the
        > CA&E by riding the prairie path.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Larry M
        Message 3 of 7 , May 30, 2006
          THe Green Bay Trail starts in Wilmette and follow the
          ROW including the Winnetka Grade Seperation to Harbor
          in Glencoe. Unless things have changed - and they
          probably have since I am talking 1989-1990 - you hit
          the streets until the Glencoe Road (east) crossing.
          At that point you use can opt to take the ROW again or
          take city streets. I would do either. If I took the
          city streets I would find my way on Sheridan Road.

          Once you cross Lake-Cook I think you can continue on
          the ROW going by Ravinia Park's entrance. You stay on
          the ROW until you are a block from downtown Highland
          Park. Again, you have to take city streets - usually
          Sheridan Road to Highwood where you can once again
          join the ROW to Great Lakes. It's been a while but I
          think that covers it. I also think that at that time
          the ROW from Highwood to Great Lakes was paved.
          Actually you can take ROW one way and follow Sheridan
          Road from Lake Forest to Highland Park via Highwood
          for part of the way. Sometimes I would go through Ft.
          Sheridan but you had to watch the stop signs as the
          MP's would pull you over if you ran them.

          The Skokie Line starts somewhere in Waukegan to the
          south side of Kenosha and resumes on the north side of
          Kenosha to three blocks or so south of Washington
          where the station was. At that point that is the end
          of the main line bike trail on the NSL as well as the
          Shore Line. The trail from Waukegan to Racine was
          gravel when I was there.

          Larry

          === message truncated ===

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Joe Stupar
          Message 4 of 7 , May 30, 2006
            I don't remember a lot of the details, but a lot of
            the right of way on the North Shore in Illinois is
            open for biking. As was mentioned, the shore line
            route can be a little patchy but is not bad. I do
            remember detours over city streets in Glencoe and in
            Highwood. Near Great Lakes the shoreline path gets
            diverted through where North Chicago Junction was and
            onto the mainline. It is interesting to see all the
            original towers still standing with the transmission
            lines, but the neighborhoods in North Chicago aren't
            that great. You can continue on northward as was
            mentioned here. I believe everything north of Great
            Lakes was gravel, but the ride through Ft Sheridan,
            Lake Forest, Lake Bluff, and Great Lakes is all paved.

            Starting at Lake Bluff, by the metra station, you can
            also swing under the underpass and ride the mundelein
            branch to the west. This is paved as far as Waukegan
            Rd, and then it changes to gravel. One of the
            highlights here is riding over Roundout and seeing the
            J and the former Milw crossing. One the station
            platforms for the North Shore is still somewhat intact
            up there as well. I believe the path continues as
            gravel all the way to Mundelein.

            The Skokie Valley bike path starts at a park near
            where KO tower was, as it does not cross the CNW Lake
            Bluff line here, although I wish it did go to South
            Upton still. It is paved as far South as Deerfield I
            think, and continues as gravel to Lake Cook road. It
            is kind of a remote area, but I like being able to go
            fast with few roads to cross. The original North
            Shore bridges are used to cross Deerpath and Highway
            41, and a new bridge is installed at Old Elm Rd.

            Joe

            === message truncated ===

            http://mail.yahoo.com