Re: [thegreatthirdrail] Wheaton station

  • Tom Thomas
    Message 1 of 2 , May 13, 2006
      My guess is that the station was torn down in 1966.  If you visit the website for the Illinois Prairie Path, there is a summary of the history of the Prairie Path that mentions the City of Wheaton taking title to the right of way through downtown and paving it over for new parking spaces in 1966, the same year that Wheaton became an All-American City.  My guess is that the station was torn down just before the new commuter parking spaces were built.

      Tom Thomas

      Frank Hicks <fullparallel@...> wrote:
      I have a question about the Wheaton station.  Plachno's book states
      that the Wheaton station was built in 1911, but when was it torn down?
      I would guess that it was the early- to mid-1960's but if anyone
      knows the exact year, I would be very interested to know.  Thanks!

      Frank Hicks

      http://mail.yahoo.com