Re: [thegreatthirdrail] Digest Number 101

  • Tom Kaufman
    Message 1 of 2 , May 12 5:45 PM
      Frank:

      I would say your guess is pretty close. I was leaning toward the time
      frame 1960-1965, but alas I don't know the exact year. I do have a
      question though. I remember as a child growing up in Wheaton, that the CNW
      installed automatic gates in downtown Wheaton in the mid to late 50's, I
      think after the CA&E had quit running passenger trains. And I also
      remember the CNW gates were protecting both sets of tracks, but I don't
      think the CA&E could of afforded to contribute. Any ideas, anyone?

      Tom Kaufman

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • roygbenedict@juno.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 13 11:47 AM
        I agree that the installatiion of automatic gates along the C&NW in downtown Wheaton was AFTER the CA&E passenger service was suspended July 3, 1957.

        ROY G. BENEDICT | Publishers' services
        PO Box 368, River Grove IL 60171 � R-Benedict-11@...
        Voice, message and fax: (773) 625-5263
        .
        .

        Frank:

        I would say your guess is pretty close. I was leaning toward the time
        frame 1960-1965, but alas I don't know the exact year. I do have a
        question though. I remember as a child growing up in Wheaton, that the CNW
        installed automatic gates in downtown Wheaton in the mid to late 50's, I
        think after the CA&E had quit running passenger trains. And I also
        remember the CNW gates were protecting both sets of tracks, but I don't
        think the CA&E could of afforded to contribute. Any ideas, anyone?

        Tom Kaufman

        [The original question was: When was the Wheaton CA&E station torn down?]