Is thegreatthirdrail dead?

  • dashund_2000
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 23, 2014
      Just wondering why nothing has been posted in the last several months?  Any ideas?

      JPH
    • twtrains
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 23, 2014
        YEP!

        Just wondering why nothing has been posted in the last several months?  Any ideas?
        JPH
      • Seth Bramson
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 23, 2014

          Is there any possibility of merging this wonderful list into and with the Shore Line group/list?  Actually, not a lot of action on that list, either, so perhaps--no offense meant, all--that might could be arranged.
          Just wondering why nothing has been posted in the last several months?  Any ideas?
          JPH
        • David Mummery
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 23, 2014
            Actually, since Yahoo made this switch all but 1 of the lists I'm on have dropped off

            Dave Mummery

            Is there any possibility of merging this wonderful list into and with the Shore Line group/list?  Actually, not a lot of action on that list, either, so perhaps--no offense meant, all--that might could be arranged.
            Just wondering why nothing has been posted in the last several months?  Any ideas?
            JPH

          • respondcode
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 24, 2014

              Most of the discussions have moved to Facebook,  https://www.facebook.com/groups/489659201089622/

            • Bill Bolton
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 24, 2014
                On 24 Jan 2014 05:33:13 -0800, respondcode@... wrote:

                > Most of the discussions have moved to Facebook

                That is certainly a very dismal thing!

                Bill Bolton
                Sydney, Australia
              • minnman554212000
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 25, 2014
                  the group is not dead. I have no problems posting on other Illinois electric lines as well as Chicag traction as long as we still focus on tge original content of the group. I did offer to move to Facebook but some if you made a major fuss over it. I can try to move the group and membership but keep the Yahoo group alive as well.we do have our cover photo which I can change from time to time.any additional input would be appreciated.Thank youLarry
                • Charles Happel
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 25, 2014
                    Amen!

                    Chuck Happel

                    "One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothing can beat teamwork" - Mark Twain

                    Subject: Re: [thegreatthirdrail] RE: Is thegreatthirdrail dead?
                    To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Friday, January 24, 2014, 6:02 PM

                    On 24 Jan 2014 05:33:13 -0800,
                    respondcode@... wrote:

                    > Most of the discussions have moved to Facebook

                    That is certainly a very dismal thing!

                    Bill Bolton

                    Sydney, Australia
                  • ken_w9lsl
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 25, 2014
                      That's unfortunate. Many people (myself included) want nothing to do with the train wreck that is Facebook. Why would you want to splinter our already small numbers by doing that?

                      Ken Ford
                      Aurora, IL

                      --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, <respondcode@...> wrote:

                      > Most of the discussions have moved to Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/groups/489659201089622/ https://www.facebook.com/groups/489659201089622/

                    • ken_w9lsl
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 25, 2014
                        --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, <dashund_2000@...> wrote:

                        > Just wondering why nothing has been posted in the last several months? Any ideas?
                        > JPH

                        I know that life has intruded into my hobby time, but I'm still researching and planning my O scale CA&E / AE&FR modeling. I'm having fun making occasional field trips looking for suitable locations to use for an operating diorama to take to shows.

                        Ken Ford
                        Aurora, IL
                      • Seth Bramson
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 25, 2014

                          This format--Yahoo--is, when it comes to groups and posting, much better and easier to use than Facebook.
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 25, 2014
                            I agree with Ken.

                            > That's unfortunate. Many people (myself included) want nothing to do with
                            > the train wreck that is Facebook. Why would you want to splinter our
                            > already small numbers by doing that?
                            >
                            > Ken Ford
                            > Aurora, IL
                            >
                            > --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, <respondcode@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> Most of the discussions have moved to Facebook,
                            >> https://www.facebook.com/groups/489659201089622/
                            >> https://www.facebook.com/groups/489659201089622/
                            >>

                            > ------------------------------------
                            >
                            > Yahoo Groups Links

                          • twtrains
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 25, 2014
                              I agree also

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 25, 2014
                                I am again making it quite clear that this group is not dead.  Or to misquote Mark Twain: "the reports of the death of this group is premature.".  There are a lot of us who do use FB as a way of easily communicating with friends or posting on various groups but my concern is that if you do not know what you're doing your privacy could be violated.  I am more and more concerned about FB being more intrusive to our own private lives.  That is wrong.  We have the NSA trying to do that already!

                                That being said I did offer to start a Facebook group after Yahell's fiasco.  It was turned down in no uncertain words.  Last night I did mention moving our list over and havng a group but on second thought I am withdrawing that offer as well.  I also have not been getting any postings from this group and did not until last night.  I have been busy with a number of other projects as well.  I do agree that Yahell's change was not warmly welcomed but it does work.  Sort of.

                                As for merging with another group my feelings are mixed on that as well.  What I would do is not consider anything relevant to an interurban or transit system within the State of Illinois as fair game in both a historic and present context as long as we also focus on the original  intent of this group:  The Great Third Rail.  We have members that are interested in modeling both the CA&E and other Chicago based services.  I encourage more of that as well.

                                I may change our cover page regarding any change of policy.  I am also  open to suggestions that might help to increase participation from members as well as bringing in more members.

                                I hope that this clarifies the issue.  I have given our membership a wider latitude to work from.

                                Thanks and try to stay warm!

                                Larry
                                Owner, moderator of  The Great Third Rail

                                www.umcycling.com    for Northstar, Boston and photos from the Chicago area dating back to 1954.

                                This format--Yahoo--is, when it comes to groups and posting, much better and easier to use than Facebook.
                                the group is not dead. I have no problems posting on other Illinois electric lines as well as Chicag traction as long as we still focus on tge original content of the group. I did offer to move to Facebook but some if you made a major fuss over it. I can try to move the group and membership but keep the Yahoo group alive as well. we do have our cover photo which I can change from time to time. any additional input would be appreciated. Thank you Larry

                              • Ken
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 25, 2014
                                  The reason I no longer post on yahoo is the fact I have to log in every time I want to go on and several times I had to re-register with yahoo because it wouldn’t accept
                                  my log in.  No problems going on facebook.

                                  Ken

                                  Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2014 11:17 AM

                                  I agree with Ken.

                                  > That's unfortunate. Many people (myself included) want nothing to do with
                                  > the train wreck that is Facebook. Why would you want to splinter our
                                  > already small numbers by doing that?
                                  >
                                  > Ken Ford
                                  > Aurora, IL
                                  >
                                  > --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, <respondcode@...> wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> Most of the discussions have moved to Facebook,
                                  >> https://www.facebook.com/groups/489659201089622/
                                  >> https://www.facebook.com/groups/489659201089622/
                                  >>

                                  > ------------------------------------
                                  >
                                  > Yahoo Groups Links

                                • twtrains
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 25, 2014
                                    Same here on Yahoo. You have to reset your password every time you sign in to these sites!

                                    Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2014 11:17 AM

                                    I agree with Ken.

                                    > That's unfortunate. Many people (myself included) want nothing to do with
                                    > the train wreck that is Facebook. Why would you want to splinter our
                                    > already small numbers by doing that?
                                    >
                                    > Ken Ford
                                    > Aurora, IL
                                    >
                                    > --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, <respondcode@...> wrote:
                                    >>
                                    >> Most of the discussions have moved to Facebook,
                                    >> https://www.facebook.com/groups/489659201089622/
                                    >> https://www.facebook.com/groups/489659201089622/
                                    >>

                                    > ------------------------------------
                                    >
                                    > Yahoo Groups Links

                                  • David Sadowski
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 25, 2014

                                      You can post to the group simply by sending an e-mail, and you can receive group messages by e-mail also.  Unless there is some other reason to do so, you can participate in the group without even bothering to log in to Yahoo, once you have set up your subscription to the group the way you want it.

                                      You don't even have to have the messages sent to your Yahoo e-mail.  They can go to any e-mail address you choose.

                                      Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2014 11:17 AM

                                      I agree with Ken.

                                      > That's unfortunate. Many people (myself included) want nothing to do with
                                      > the train wreck that is Facebook. Why would you want to splinter our
                                      > already small numbers by doing that?
                                      >
                                      > Ken Ford
                                      > Aurora, IL
                                      >
                                      > --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, <respondcode@...> wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >> Most of the discussions have moved to Facebook,
                                      >> https://www.facebook.com/groups/489659201089622/
                                      >> https://www.facebook.com/groups/489659201089622/
                                      >>

                                      > ------------------------------------
                                      >
                                      > Yahoo Groups Links

                                    • Larry M
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 25, 2014
                                        David,

                                        That is quite correct.  I restarted my PC and then went to open  Foxfire 26.0.  I have the Yahoo tool bar where I clicked on the mail icon and was  in without an issue.  This sounds more like a user issue.  I also get Yahoo email on my Galaxy S4 setting it up for that purpose along with my regular email account with my ISP.  Once in a great while I do have to log back in with my user name and password.  The time it takes is minimal and not really a major inconvenience.

                                        One has to remember that you can also store your messages you wish to keep from whatever group you are using or, in my case, make a folder for each group and store the messages that you wish to keep in the respective folder.

                                        With FB you also face the possibility of lack of privacy unless you go to set up.  I also have Trend Micro Titanium Maximum and beta test Trend Micro's Titanium which has a privacy app that is a help for most of the major browsers.  FB Purity is free and can be used with Foxfire and Google.  Facebook, on the other hand, does not give you the archival capabilities that Yahoo does.

                                        If any user is having log-on issues please replicate and let us know what browser you are using along with anything else that might be pertinent.  I am sure that someone who is a member of the group can help you out.

                                        Larry

                                        Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2014 11:17 AM

                                        I agree with Ken.