Off Topic: Trip to Kenosha

  • Damin Keenan
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 15, 2013
      Hi Everyone,

      My girlfriend and I are planning an overnight trip to Kenosha next
      weekend to celebrate my birthday. The main purpose is to see and ride
      the streetcars but I was wondering what museums and/or other cultural
      attractions are there to visit so that my darling GF doesn't get
      completely bored. We're planning on taking Metra in and from Kenosha.
      So we won't have a car. So any suggestions will need to be within
      walking distance from the trolley line.

      Also, is is possible to tour the streetcar shops?

      Thanks,
      Damin.
    • Damin Keenan
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 22, 2013
        Hi Everyone,

        I've posted photos of the Kenosha streetcar on Facebook
        (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10200983436413751.1073741825.1401880479&type=1&l=b21eff737a).
        You should not need to log in to see the album.

        BTW, I'd like to thank however forwarded my request to Brigit Correa of
        the Kenosha Convention and Visitor's Bureau. She was super helpful and
        even met Jen and I at the Metra platform on Saturday with a packet of
        tourism info for us.

        Thanks,
        Damin.

        On 9/15/2013 2:38 PM, Damin Keenan wrote:
        > Hi Everyone,
        >
        > My girlfriend and I are planning an overnight trip to Kenosha next
        > weekend to celebrate my birthday. The main purpose is to see and ride
        > the streetcars but I was wondering what museums and/or other cultural
        > attractions are there to visit so that my darling GF doesn't get
        > completely bored. We're planning on taking Metra in and from
        > Kenosha. So we won't have a car. So any suggestions will need to be
        > within walking distance from the trolley line.
        >
        > Also, is is possible to tour the streetcar shops?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Damin.

      • Bill Bolton
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 23, 2013
          On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 16:34:20 -0500, Damin wrote:

          > You should not need to log in to see the album.

          All I can see are a bunch of thumbnail images, there doesn't seem to
          be anyway to display them in a larger size.

          Cheers,

          Bill

          Bill Bolton
          Sydney, Australia
        • Damin Keenan
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 23, 2013
            Hi Bill,

            You should be able to click on the thumbnails to enlarge them. Of
            course, it was working fine yesterday but today it is not!

            Anyway, I created a duplicate album in the Photos section of this
            group. The name of the album is "Kenosha Streetcars."

            Thanks,
            Damin.

            On 9/23/2013 2:52 AM, Bill Bolton wrote:
            > On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 16:34:20 -0500, Damin wrote:
            >
            >> You should not need to log in to see the album.
            > All I can see are a bunch of thumbnail images, there doesn't seem to
            > be anyway to display them in a larger size.
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Bill
            >
            > Bill Bolton
            > Sydney, Australia
          • Bill Bolton
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 23, 2013
              On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 12:09:25 -0500, Damin wrote:

              > Anyway, I created a duplicate album in the Photos section of this
              > group. The name of the album is "Kenosha Streetcars."

              Thanks Damin!

              Cheers,

              Bill

              Bill Bolton
              Sydney, Australia
            • T.U. Leaton
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 19, 2013
                If you are driving from the South on you likely will pass Gurnee Mills Mall and Lakeside Mall.  Somewhat female-oriented.

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 20, 2013
                  Damin,

                  Further to my previous comment,  if going to Kenosha, you are less than an hour's drive from the East Troy trolley museum.  Ride a streetcar to Mukwonago, and show her the Elegant Farmer, a country/gourmet/food/bakery shop.  Best of both worlds, trolleys and food.
                  Tom

                  To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com
                  From: tomleaton@...
                  Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 00:38:47 -0500
                  Subject: RE: [thegreatthirdrail] Off Topic: Trip to Kenosha

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 20, 2013
                    There is an art/science museum on the lake where the trolley stops. Great view of the lake as well. The barn is first class and the motorman/mechanic/docent will take you thru the barn on a well staged tour.

                    Be sure to see the North Shore station while you are there as well. It has been preserved to the point where you can almost hear the Liners flying by.

                    To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com
                    From: tomleaton@...
                    Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 00:38:47 -0500

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 20, 2013

                      I lived in the area from 1991 to 1996.  Kenosha has done a fantastic job renovating that area.  You must remember that at one time Chrysler had a plant by the lake.  When the going got rough the plant was abandoned.   Kenosha made them tear it down as the city owned the land while Chrysler only owned the buildings on it. I saw the video of the smoke stack being dynamited.  You could literally hear people cheering. The result is a beautiful lake front with the museum and buildings making it a showcase.  As for the North Shore station I seem to recall that it was a restaurant  One more OT hint!  If you go to Kenosha stop by Tenuta's Grocery store on 52nd.  Best Italian grocery store this side of Boston!

                      I did the tour in 2005 and the people could not have been nicer!  I would post some of my photo work but since Yahoo changed things around I have second thoughts.  Besides there would be some who might scream that is is totally "off topic".

                      Thank you for your post, Ray.

                      Larry

                      Owner, The Great Third Rail

                      To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com
                      From: tomleaton@...
                      Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 00:38:47 -0500

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 20, 2013
                        The old NS station is currently being used as a school.  An addition has been built onto it.

                        Here is a picture I took earlier this year:

                        http://ceramembersblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/p1000263.jpg

                        It is the Cesar Chavez Learning Center.

                        To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com
                        From: tomleaton@...
                        Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 00:38:47 -0500

                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 20, 2013
                        Here is a shot from the 100 slide collection of Al Kalmbach.  The northbound liner is at the Kenosha station picking up passengers.  I do not recall a date and the slides, alas, are either gone or in some box.  I did a little touch up otherwise it is the original.  This was one of three stations built with the Insull touch.

                        [c] kalmbach publishing.
                      • rpcosyn

                          From: tomleaton@...
                          Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 00:38:47 -0500