Re: [thegreatthirdrail] Re: Watch fobs

  • Mitch Markovitz
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 17, 2013

      Andy,

      It's not all that painful to speak about the wreck as over the years that's helped me get over the thing. It was 20 years ago this past January. My watch was in the upper left pocket of my uniform vest. The chain, a heavy Simmons model made for railway use, shattered and disintegrated. The watch wasn't damaged at all.

      So you're aware of my experiences I was born in 1950 on the South Side of Chicago. I remember clearly the way the Loop was as early as '52. I had seen Desplaines Avenue as early as 1956 but can't recall seeing a CA&E train. My father made me aware of the line as discussions for the abandonment of the NSL mounted. I had seen the CA&E as a freight railway only and remember articles about it from Trains magazine.

      I rode the NSL many times as I did the South Shore Line. I began working at IRM in 1970. I'm one of the only electric railway enginemen that started at a museum and moved to a real interurban.

      I worked for the C&NW then The Milwaukee Road. I worked with many ex-NSL men. Howard Odinius got me my job on The Milwaukee. Three weeks later Howard had a fatal heart attack and I ended up being called off the extra board to fill his assignment out of Walworth.

      There were many similarities in the way the South Shore operated compared to the NSL.

      I knew a few CA&E men (Frank Kreczek amongst others) that frequented All Nation Hobby Shop in the Loop where I worked on my layovers in suburban service.

      Mitch

      From: Andy Dishroon <droon124@...>
      To: "thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com" <thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com>
      Cc: "<thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com>" <thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com>

      Mitch,

      My plan is to carry my Elgin (and its a model 7 not 313) daily. I figured that you probably meant railroad standards had to be of higher quality. As far as I know it's only 15 jewels so its not a railroad standard. I found a chain off a cheap pocket watch I got when I was a kid that I'll use. If you wouldn't mind I'd kind of like to hear a bit more about that head on wreck.

      Thanks,
      Andy-moderator.

      On Aug 16, 2013, at 9:26 AM, "Mitch Markovitz" <art.mark@...> wrote:

      To make my statement clear it's not that a Hamilton brand railroad watch had to be kept at a higher standard than an Elgin brand watch. All railroad grade watches had to withstand greater use and maintain an accuracy level beyond the "civilian" grade watches produced by the same companies.

      Elgin railroad grade watches were an excellent quality watch.

      My favorites however were those indeed that came from Hamilton. My main watch, an early 992B Railway Special, was produced in February of 1941, just when the Electroliners went into service. I purchased it in February of 1966 from Sam Linzur, of Central Time Service, who was the time inspector for the Santa Fe.

      Since then the watch has survived high school, art school, the C&NW, The Milwaukee Road, the South Shore Line, a head on train wreck and my children. It was 3 seconds off when I compared time this morning with the Naval Time service.

      Mitch

      Mitch Markovitz, www.mitchmarkovitz.com 574.772.7939

    • glen brewer
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 24, 2013