Re: I need help from Elgin historians

  • George Foelschow
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2006
      --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "riispark99" <kend@...>
      wrote:

      > I'm trying to figure out just where the buildings in this photo were
      > in relation to present day Elgin. I'm familar with area but not
      sure
      > where the Rialto Theatre and the Spiess Department store in the shot
      > were. I know where the Crocker theatre was---can anyone with the
      > knowledge of downtown Elgin tell me where the Crocker was in
      > relationship to the buildings in this photo? I think the Kimball Rug
      > building is the only one still standing or am I wrong? Thanks!
      >
      > Ken

      Photo 51 in that album was taken from the Chicago Street bridge, with
      the two cars at the end of track. Photo 31, looking north, shows the
      bridge in the background. The Kimball store is also in photo 4, next
      to the opera house. The Rialto Theatre replaced the opera house and
      faced the south end of Fountain Square on Grove Avenue. It was
      destroyed in a spectacular fire one Sunday in the fifties before CA&E
      quit. The Crocker Theatre was one block south, where Spring and Fulton
      Streets intersect with Grove. There was another small theatre, the
      Grove, at Grove and Prairie, which closed in the early fifties, but
      reopened after the Rialto fire.