Re: [thegreatthirdrail] Re: CTA expertise needed!

  • rpcosyn
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 8, 2013
      Figuratively, however given the bump, pull, jerk of the L ride it actually felt like flying.

      -- Sent from my HP TouchPad

      On Jul 8, 2013 7:30 AM, David T. Koyzis <dkoyzis@...> wrote:

      I assume you don't mean "literally" literally. ;-)

      David T. Koyzis | Professor and Chair, Political Science
      Redeemer University College | 777 Garner Road East | Ancaster, ON L9K 1J4
      905.648.2139 x4251 | 1.877.779.0913 | F: 905.648.2134
      dkoyzis@... | www.redeemer.ca

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 9, 2013
        It was not normal operation to change trains at Laramie as Larry experienced (below). Laramie was the terminal for storage and maintenance of Garfield equipment, so I presume he happened to encounter a situation where the 6000s were being called in for some problem.

        David is right (below) that the Van Buren Street operation of CTA trains seemed very slow. The key word is seemed. However, it is easy to overlook that it eliminated six station stops along that stretch, and a few others elsewhere along the Garfield route in the same era. One of the employees of the CTA Staff Engineer's Office commuted on the CA&E and recorded his results, which I believe we published a dozen or so years ago. His study showed, if I recall, a small rather than huge cost in time.

        ROY G. BENEDICT
        R-Benedict-11@...
        .
        .

        From: "minnman554212000" <minnman554212000@...>
        To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [thegreatthirdrail] Re: CTA expertise needed!
        Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 05:44:56 -0000

        I took only one trip on that line in June, 1957. By that time the Garfield Park trains went through the old CA&E station as the Van Buren L west of Wells was either being torn down or was torn down. . . . I then took a quick round trip on the CA&E (my only, alas) to Elmhurst. Little did I know that a few weeks later that service would come to a sudden end. Coming back we had the 6000 series to Laramie where, for some reason, we had to transfer to the older 4000 series cars back to the Loop. I am not sure what the rationale was for the transfer at Laramie . . . All and all it was NOT a fun ride on the temporary tracks.

        Larry

        --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, David Church wrote:

        > As a side note to the Van Buren street trackage for the displaced Garfield Park L: there were NO crossing gates. And as the train approached EACH crossing , the signal much like a stop light turned red. The train had to make a complete stop then wait a complete traffic light to for green to proceed. Then move from a dead stop across each crossing trying to not stall because of flow speed and Third rail gap. It was a tortuous ride that I still well remember. No wonder CA&E wanted no part of it. It was lose lose for them. This running added a huge amount of time to each trip. Their schedule would have been a shambles.
        30-second trick for a flat belly
        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/51dc74562d20f74565461st04duc