Re: [thegreatthirdrail] Digest Number 904[2 Attachments]

  • Thomas Kaufman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2013

      I beg to differ. This was a temporary arrangement and there were more than one crossing. This was the arrangement during the expressway construction when the Garfield Park L structure was removed. This is why the CA&E suspended passenger service in Sept 1953 because the management thought operating this way was unsafe and they couldn't afford the liability insurance required by the City of Chicago at the time. And if you watch the CA&E video by Sunday River Productions all the former street grade crossings of the CA&E were operated by the CTA until the traackage was replaced by the expressway construction and the trackage was relocated to the median of the expressway after construction was completed.

      Tom Kaufman
      Seminole FL