Re: [thegreatthirdrail] Re: [CHICAGOTRANSIT] CTA expertise needed!

  • Larry M
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 5 11:53 AM
      Western ave had service at that time with both pre and post WW2 pcc cars. Service ended in 1956. I think some the PCC cars were one man and were transferred from Cottage Grove when that line was bussed.

      L.

      Sent from my soon to be replaced iPhone with IOS 6.1.

      On Jul 5, 2013, at 12:27, David Sadowski <dsadowski@...> wrote:

      Ashland did have streetcar service when the temporary Van Buren trackage went into service, but as this line used Red Cars, it was out of service by 1955 when the picture was taken.  Presumably the wires had been torn down by then.

      According the Chicago Surface Lines by Alan R. Lind, third edition, page 228, streetcar service on Ashland was replaced by buses on February 13, 1954.On page 254, the same book reports that streetcar service on Damen ended May 13, 1951, more than two years before the Van Buren operation began.

      On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Raymond Bellock <rayb749@...> wrote:

      what the earliest year that the public housing high rises were built/lived in at the northwest corner of the E'way and Western Avenue. I don't know how far east the street running went but I can't believe that at one time Damen and Ashland didn't have wires. I worked for the county welfare Dept in '63-64. My territory was Damen to California from the e'way south to Lexington. I also remember a rail line (beltway) about 2600 west. It was elevated and it doesn't appear in this pix. Could have been elevated as part of the over-all construction?

      To: CHICAGOTRANSIT@yahoogroups.com
      CC: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: dsadowski@...
      Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 10:21:16 -0500
      Subject: [thegreatthirdrail] Re: [CHICAGOTRANSIT] CTA expertise needed!

      If that's trolley wire visible in the photograph, I'd say the cross street must be Western Avenue.

      On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 1:18 AM, interurbans <afishel@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from interurbans included below]

      This kind of fits with the discussion on the Garfield Park line and the detours for the building of the Congress Expressway.

      Alan

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 6 12:21 PM
        At Van Buren Street, Damen Avenue had trolley wires, but that line was changed to bus before the temporary alignment of the Garfield L. Ashland Boulevard did not have streetcars; the Ashland cars were on Paulina Street because of the boulevard.

        The railroad (a Chicago & North Western belt, but the Chicago entry the long way around of the Panhandle, PCC&StL) was elevated much earlier than this era, with unfortunate implications for Madison Street cable car line for a while.

        ROY G. BENEDICT
        R-Benedict-11@...
        .
        .

        . . . I can't believe that at one time Damen and Ashland didn't have wires. . . . I also remember a rail line (beltway) about 2600 west. It was elevated and it doesn't appear in this pix. Could have been elevated as part of the over-all construction? . . .
        1 Weird Fruit Melts Fat
        Cut Pounds of Stomach Fat Every Week With This Secret Fruit
        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/51d86e5d817d86e5d62afst01duc
      • minnman554212000
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 7 10:23 PM
          This is totally OT and has been the message has been deleted.

          Larry
          Owner
          The Great Third Rail.

          --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, simanton@... wrote:

          > Then let's head down to Belmont and Laugh Our Troubles
          snip!

        • minnman554212000
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 7 10:44 PM
            I took only one trip on that line in June, 1957.  By that time the Garfield Park trains went through the old CA&E station as the Van Buren L west of Wells was either being torn down or was torn down.  The section along Van Buren on the temporary track was frustrating as we did have to stop for a red traffic signal which went through a normal and usually long cycle.  Once we went back up on the L structure everything was fine.  I then took  a quick round trip on the CA&E (my only, alas) to Elmhurst. Little did I know that a few weeks later that service would come to a sudden end.   Coming back we had the 6000 series to Laramie where, for some reason, we had to transfer to the older 4000 series cars back to the Loop.  I am not sure what the rationale was for the transfer at Laramie as I would have thought that a two car 6000 set would have no issues with the street crossings if that was the reason.  By that time Western Ave. no longer had the streetcars and I believe the wires had been removed.

            All and all it was NOT a fun ride on the temporary tracks.X-(

            Larry

            --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, David Church wrote:

            > As a side note to the Van Buren street trackage for the displaced Garfield Park L: there were NO crossing gates. And as the train approached EACH crossing , the signal much like a stop light turned red. The train had to make a complete stop then wait a complete traffic light to for green to proceed. Then move from a dead stop across each crossing trying to not stall because of flow speed and Third rail gap. It was a tortuous ride that I still well remember. No wonder CA&E wanted no part of it. It was lose lose for them. This running added a huge amount of time to each trip. Their schedule would have been a shambles.
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On Jul 5, 2013, at 8:05 AM, "borowmaq@..." borowmaq@... wrote:
            >
            > > Hi:
            > >
            > > The class of cars in the first photo is the 4000s, of course, and the subgroup would be the plushies (4251-4455). The location is Lake/Wells, on the east side of the junction known as Tower 18 -- at the time, reputedly the busiest rail junction in the world. It's in front of the 201 N. Wells St. building, which has been transformed from offices to condos and still stands today. The photo was snapped from the old Randolph/Wells platform, which was a passenger stop at the time but today just houses switching equipment for the rebuilt Tower 18.
            > > I cannot pinpoint the other photo beyond saying that it is one of the temporary crossings on Van Buren Sreet installed while the Eisenhower Expressway was under construction. And no, it was not the only one on that stretch of track, which is reputedly why the CA&E refused to use the temporary track to come downtown.
            > >
            > > Bob Bresse-Rodenkirk
            > >
            > > --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "interurbans" afishel@ wrote:
            > > >
            > > > This kind of fits with the discussion on the Garfield Park line and the
            > > > detours for the building of the Congress Expressway.
            > > >

            > > > Alan

          • Scott Greig
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 7 10:52 PM
              Was this on a weekend?  I seem to recall that Garfield service operated only to Laramie on weekends or just Sundays; sounds almost like the 6000s were being used as a connecting shuttle between Forest Park and Laramie and the 4000s were holding down the base Garfield service out of Laramie.

> [...]

              > > I cannot pinpoint the other photo beyond saying that it is one of the temporary crossings on Van Buren Sreet installed while the Eisenhower Expressway was under construction. And no, it was not the only one on that stretch of track, which is reputedly why the CA&E refused to use the temporary track to come downtown.
              > >
              > > Bob Bresse-Rodenkirk
              > >
              > > --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "interurbans" afishel@ wrote:
              > > >
              > > > This kind of fits with the discussion on the Garfield Park line and the
              > > > detours for the building of the Congress Expressway.

            • Larry M
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 7 11:47 PM
                It was a weekday as I recall. I got downtown a few hours early and had time for the ride. I had a piano lesson afterwards at the Chicago Conservatory  which was on Van Buren east of Wabash after the ride. I think the Douglas was being routed via Lake to the old Logan Square connection.

                Larry

> [...]

                > > I cannot pinpoint the other photo beyond saying that it is one of the temporary crossings on Van Buren Sreet installed while the Eisenhower Expressway was under construction. And no, it was not the only one on that stretch of track, which is reputedly why the CA&E refused to use the temporary track to come downtown.
                > >
                > > Bob Bresse-Rodenkirk
                > >
                > > --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "interurbans" afishel@ wrote:
                > > >
                > > > This kind of fits with the discussion on the Garfield Park line and the
                > > > detours for the building of the Congress Expressway.

              • rpcosyn
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 8 5:34 AM
                  I commuted round trip from the south side of Chicago to York High in Elmhurst for 3 months in early 1954. This was about 3 months after the CA&E stopped running into the loop. The stop and go on the L was a real drag along Van Buren, but once I got on the Roaring Elgin at FP it was like a dream come true. We literally flew.

                  -- Sent from my HP TouchPad

                  On Jul 7, 2013 10:45 PM, minnman554212000 <minnman554212000@...> wrote:

> [...]

                  > > I cannot pinpoint the other photo beyond saying that it is one of the temporary crossings on Van Buren Sreet installed while the Eisenhower Expressway was under construction. And no, it was not the only one on that stretch of track, which is reputedly why the CA&E refused to use the temporary track to come downtown.
                  > >
                  > > Bob Bresse-Rodenkirk
                  > >
                  > > --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "interurbans" afishel@ wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > This kind of fits with the discussion on the Garfield Park line and the
                  > > > detours for the building of the Congress Expressway.

                • David T. Koyzis
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 8 7:30 AM
                    I assume you don't mean "literally" literally. ;-)

                    David T. Koyzis | Professor and Chair, Political Science
                    Redeemer University College | 777 Garner Road East | Ancaster, ON L9K 1J4
                    905.648.2139 x4251 | 1.877.779.0913 | F: 905.648.2134
                    dkoyzis@... | www.redeemer.ca

> [...]

                    > > I can not pinpoint the other photo beyond saying that it is one of the temporary crossings on Van Buren Sreet installed while the Eisenhower Expressway was under construction. And no, it was not the only one on that stretch of track, which is reputedly why the CA&E refused to use the temporary track to come downtown.
                    > >
                    > > Bob Bresse-Rodenkirk
                    > >
                    > > --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "interurbans" afishel@ wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > This kind of fits with the discussion on the Garfield Park line and the
                    > > > detours for the building of the Congress Expressway.

                  • George
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 8 8:10 AM
                      --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, Scott Greig <sbgreig_m1@...> wrote:

                      > Was this on a weekend?  I seem to recall that Garfield service operated only to Laramie on weekends or just Sundays; sounds almost like the 6000s were being used as a connecting shuttle between Forest Park and Laramie and the 4000s were holding down the base Garfield service out of Laramie.

                      In December 1951 CTA abandoned "L" service west of Desplaines Avenue to Westchester. CTA initiated bus service to Westchester from Desplaines. CA&E started serving local stops in Maywood and Bellwood and the tracks from Bellwood to Westchester were taken up. On Sundays, the Garfield Park "L" was terminated at Laramie Avenue. The Westchester bus was extended to the Marion station of the Lake Street "L". CTA started a Sunday-only bus line called "Garfield Park" from Desplaines through Oak Park on Harrison Street and connecting with the Lake "L" at Central Avenue station. On Sundays, CA&E offered local service at Desplaines, Oak Park Avenue, and added a stop at Austin Boulevard on the Oak Park/Chicago boundary. On September 20, 1953, coincident with CA&E ending service east of Forest Park, CTA reinstated 24/7 Garfield "L" service to Desplaines Avenue, connecting to CA&E.
                    • rpcosyn

> [...]

                        > > I can not pinpoint the other photo beyond saying that it is one of the temporary crossings on Van Buren Sreet installed while the Eisenhower Expressway was under construction. And no, it was not the only one on that stretch of track, which is reputedly why the CA&E refused to use the temporary track to come downtown.
                        > >
                        > > Bob Bresse-Rodenkirk
                        > >
                        > > --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "interurbans" afishel@ wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > This kind of fits with the discussion on the Garfield Park line and the
                        > > > detours for the building of the Congress Expressway.

                      • Roy G. Benedict
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 9 1:35 PM
                          It was not normal operation to change trains at Laramie as Larry experienced (below). Laramie was the terminal for storage and maintenance of Garfield equipment, so I presume he happened to encounter a situation where the 6000s were being called in for some problem.

                          David is right (below) that the Van Buren Street operation of CTA trains seemed very slow. The key word is seemed. However, it is easy to overlook that it eliminated six station stops along that stretch, and a few others elsewhere along the Garfield route in the same era. One of the employees of the CTA Staff Engineer's Office commuted on the CA&E and recorded his results, which I believe we published a dozen or so years ago. His study showed, if I recall, a small rather than huge cost in time.

                          ROY G. BENEDICT
                          R-Benedict-11@...
                          .
                          .

                          From: "minnman554212000" <minnman554212000@...>
                          To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 05:44:56 -0000

                          I took only one trip on that line in June, 1957. By that time the Garfield Park trains went through the old CA&E station as the Van Buren L west of Wells was either being torn down or was torn down. . . . I then took a quick round trip on the CA&E (my only, alas) to Elmhurst. Little did I know that a few weeks later that service would come to a sudden end. Coming back we had the 6000 series to Laramie where, for some reason, we had to transfer to the older 4000 series cars back to the Loop. I am not sure what the rationale was for the transfer at Laramie . . . All and all it was NOT a fun ride on the temporary tracks.

                          Larry

                          --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, David Church wrote:

                          > As a side note to the Van Buren street trackage for the displaced Garfield Park L: there were NO crossing gates. And as the train approached EACH crossing , the signal much like a stop light turned red. The train had to make a complete stop then wait a complete traffic light to for green to proceed. Then move from a dead stop across each crossing trying to not stall because of flow speed and Third rail gap. It was a tortuous ride that I still well remember. No wonder CA&E wanted no part of it. It was lose lose for them. This running added a huge amount of time to each trip. Their schedule would have been a shambles.
                          30-second trick for a flat belly
                          http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/51dc74562d20f74565461st04duc