  • John Almond
    Message 1 of 6 , May 19, 2013
      Hello, Fellow CA&E fans.

      Because the 2-car consist is on the right, it could be heading west  to Aurora.  Elgin trains did not have 2 cars very often.  It could be coming from the yards to eventual travel east, but first using the cross over between Wheaton Avenue and Hale Street.  The location is between Wheaton Avenue (in the photo) and West Street (behind the photographer).

      I also grew up in Wheaton ('45-'56).  From '28-'49 my father ran a pharmacy just across the street from the main station, at Hale and Liberty Drive.

      John Almond
    • David T. Koyzis
      Message 2 of 6 , May 19, 2013
        If you compare photographs # 2 and 3 you will recognize the DuPage County Courthouse in both. It's more distant in # 2, but you can still make it out.

        David T. Koyzis | Professor and Chair, Political Science
        Redeemer University College | 777 Garner Road East | Ancaster, ON L9K 1J4
        905.648.2139 x4251 | 1.877.779.0913 | F: 905.648.2134
        dkoyzis@... | www.redeemer.ca

          Because the 2-car consist is on the right, it could be heading west  to Aurora.  Elgin trains did not have 2 cars very often.  It could be coming from the yards to eventual travel east, but first using the cross over between Wheaton Avenue and Hale Street.  The location is between Wheaton Avenue (in the photo) and West Street (behind the photographer).

          I also grew up in Wheaton ('45-'56).  From '28-'49 my father ran a pharmacy just across the street from the main station, at Hale and Liberty Drive.

          John Almond

        • David Sadowski

            Because the 2-car consist is on the right, it could be heading west  to Aurora.  Elgin trains did not have 2 cars very often.  It could be coming from the yards to eventual travel east, but first using the cross over between Wheaton Avenue and Hale Street.  The location is between Wheaton Avenue (in the photo) and West Street (behind the photographer).

            I also grew up in Wheaton ('45-'56).  From '28-'49 my father ran a pharmacy just across the street from the main station, at Hale and Liberty Drive.

            John Almond

          • T.U. Leaton
            Message 5 of 6 , May 19, 2013
              Dave,

              You can see it now if you go to google maps. Then,  enter '10 N Wheaton Avenue, Wheaton IL'.  Select Street View and it will take you to a point about 200 feet North of image # 2.  The arrows will let you "walk" as far south as the grade crossing, and then you can turn and see all the background buildings in photo #2.    Without the CA&E.

              Regards,

              Tom Leaton

              To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com

                To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com