NSL Cars on CA&E (was: hacking and NSL)

  • George
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2013
      --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "minnman554212000" <minnman554212000@...> wrote:

      > (snipped)
      > Can we presume that once the war was over with CA&E cars were not seen on NSL rail other than the attempt to have that one fan trip? Likewise, after the war did any NSL cars run on the CA&E including fan trips?
      >
      > L.

      According to CERA B-103 page III-30: "As late as May, '52, #141 was serving as the Batavia shuttle car. Some of these (referring to North Shore Line wooden cars) were running without couplers in '53 and all saw their last regular assignments in September of that year."

      Page III-31, referring to cars 129-137: "By 1946, rush hour traffic on CA&E had grown enough to demand more cars and these were brought back, this time on a permanent purchase from CNS&M."
    • David Sadowski
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2013

        Yes, the information I have is they were purchased outright by CA&E in 1946 and last saw service in September 1953, the time of the cutback to Forest Park.  I'm sure they didn't need as many cars at that point.

        On Apr 1, 2013 1:37 PM, "George" <gfoelschow@...> wrote:

        --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "minnman554212000" <minnman554212000@...> wrote:

        > (snipped)
        > Can we presume that once the war was over with CA&E cars were not seen on NSL rail other than the attempt to have that one fan trip? Likewise, after the war did any NSL cars run on the CA&E including fan trips?
        >
        > L.

        According to CERA B-103 page III-30: "As late as May, '52, #141 was serving as the Batavia shuttle car. Some of these (referring to North Shore Line wooden cars) were running without couplers in '53 and all saw their last regular assignments in September of that year."

        Page III-31, referring to cars 129-137: "By 1946, rush hour traffic on CA&E had grown enough to demand more cars and these were brought back, this time on a permanent purchase from CNS&M."

      • Don Ross
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2013
          Here are the NSL cars
          http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr268.htm

          Don

          At 01:37 PM 4/1/2013, you wrote:

          >--- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "minnman554212000"
          ><minnman554212000@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > (snipped)
          > > Can we presume that once the war was over with CA&E cars were not
          > seen on NSL rail other than the attempt to have that one fan
          > trip? Likewise, after the war did any NSL cars run on the CA&E
          > including fan trips?
          > >
          > > L.
          > >
          >According to CERA B-103 page III-30: "As late as May, '52, #141 was
          >serving as the Batavia shuttle car. Some of these (referring to
          >North Shore Line wooden cars) were running without couplers in '53
          >and all saw their last regular assignments in September of that year."
          >
          >Page III-31, referring to cars 129-137: "By 1946, rush hour traffic
          >on CA&E had grown enough to demand more cars and these were brought
          >back, this time on a permanent purchase from CNS&M."
        • hicksco2
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2013
            Does anyone have any photos of ex-NSL cars in service on the CA&E running without couplers? I imagine running cars without couplers would have severely limited their usefulness and also been a headache in case of a breakdown (though I suppose car 500 didn't have couplers either!). I'd be very interested to see photos of this, as I don't think I've ever seen any.

            Frank Hicks

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 2, 2013
              All of my photos have couplers.

              At 12:11 PM 4/2/2013, you wrote:
              >Does anyone have any photos of ex-NSL cars in service on the CA&E
              >running without couplers? I imagine running cars without couplers
              >would have severely limited their usefulness and also been a
              >headache in case of a breakdown (though I suppose car 500 didn't
              >have couplers either!). I'd be very interested to see photos of
              >this, as I don't think I've ever seen any.
              >
              >Frank Hicks
              >

              > > According to CERA B-103 page III-30: "As late as May, '52, #141
              > was serving as the Batavia shuttle car. Some of these (referring to
              > North Shore Line wooden cars) were running without couplers in '53
              > and all saw their last regular assignments in September of that year."

            • Seth Bramson
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 2, 2013
                And the cars do, too!! ( : > )).

                (Nice to see your inputs, Don! Hope you and yours are well and doing well.)

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 2, 2013
                  FYI we have pinned down the particulars for the photo at the head of my blog post.  It's 5th street in Milwaukee, and the picture was taken on July 14, 1946, on a CERA fantrip.

                  There is a picture taken on the other side of the street at the same location in CERA B-141 (Before the North Shore Line) on page 182.

                  There are some differences in the streetscape between this location and Greenleaf.  I wrote about these in a reply to Larry's comment.
                • David Church
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 3, 2013
                  One last set of photos of North Shore 700's in CA&E service, taken from Aurora Elgin Area Streetcars, Volume 3.  There they are in all their traction orange glory.

                  Dave

                  To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com
                  From: dsadowski@...
                  Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 16:32:29 -0500