Re: [thegreatthirdrail] Re: Third Rail

  • twtrains@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 20, 2012

      In a message dated 12/20/2012 3:49:44 P.M. Central Standard Time, tomleaton@... writes:

      I believe that there was interchange with the Burlington, along Hwy 25 in Aurora, which would have given them connections at both ends of the line.   In DuPage County, 1958-1960 Freight movements were common enough for the distinctive sound of the loco's horns to be heard weekly if not sooner.  ( a single note horn, like an SW-1). Those twin red steeple cabs were colorful.
      Tom

      To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: gfoelschow@...
      Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 18:17:40 +0000
      Subject: [thegreatthirdrail] Re: Third Rail

      --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "kendietz@..." <kendietz@...> wrote:

      > Wow. I imagine with all the crossings the freight took a long time to get from point to point.
      >
      > Which brings me to some more questions.
      >
      > How much freight was moved after passenger service stopped? What companies besides Ovaltine would have been involved in the service? Elgin Watch Company? Where would the pickup points for receiving freight cars been? The B&O or Grand Trunk at Forest Park? At the Indiana Harbor line in Bellwood? Somewhere out West?

      The original investors of RELIC (Railway Equipment Leasing and Investment Corporation), forerunner of today's Fox River Trolley Museum, originally planned to buy the CA&E rails from Elgin to Wayne, location of the EJ&E interchange, and operate a freight railroad, Fox River & Eastern. Nothing came of this scheme, and the result was the museum at South Elgin on the rails of the AE&FRE.

      There was no rail connection from CA&E to the Elgin Watch Company. There may have been one with the C&NW, adjacent to the watch company to the east.