Third Rail

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 17, 2012
      After the stoppage of passenger service the CA&E still operated freight service. My questions regarding this are:

      Was the third rail still 'hot' during this time or was it switched off and on as needed? Where was it activated from? Was it done in sections as needed? Or was the whole line activated?

      Was anything done to alert the public of the danger of the third rail during this time? I'm sure a lot of folks walked down the rails after service was halted.
    • glen brewer
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 17, 2012

        "I'm sure a lot of folks walked down the rails after service was halted."

        Like me? Actually, I never did walk down the tracks until after the last train had been run (ie, the clean-up train). I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that spurs such as the Ovaltine spur in Villa Park were controlled with a large knife switch located in a wooden box on a pole. I once watched as the trainman switched the power on. Totally a guess, but I would imagine that the power was not on continuously after regular passenger service ended.  I seriously doubt that management spent any money (or had any money to spend) to alert people of power on/off.

        Glen Brewer
        Railroad Glory Days

      • Ken
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 17, 2012
          What did the 'clean up train' do? Do you recall when you went down by the stations was there any signage left on or around with the CA&E logo? Anything inside?

          --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "glen brewer" <gbrewer@...> wrote:

          > "I'm sure a lot of folks walked down the rails after service was
          > halted."
          >
          > Like me? Actually, I never did walk down the tracks until after the last
          > train had been run (ie, the clean-up train). I don't know the answer to
          > your question, but I do know that spurs such as the Ovaltine spur in
          > Villa Park were controlled with a large knife switch located in a wooden
          > box on a pole. I once watched as the trainman switched the power on.
          > Totally a guess, but I would imagine that the power was not on
          > continuously after regular passenger service ended. I seriously doubt
          > that management spent any money (or had any money to spend) to alert
          > people of power on/off.
          >
          > Glen Brewer
          > Railroad Glory Days <http://railroadglorydays.com>

        • Larry M
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 17, 2012
            Perhaps the one way to know if the power was on would have been if the block signals were on or not. I know that the power on the North Shore Line was on for at least part of the following week after the last train ran most likely to move cars around.

            Larry

            Sent from my iPhone with IOS 6.0

            On Dec 17, 2012, at 11:08, "glen brewer" <gbrewer@...> wrote:

            "I'm sure a lot of folks walked down the rails after service was halted."

            Like me? Actually, I never did walk down the tracks until after the last train had been run (ie, the clean-up train). I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that spurs such as the Ovaltine spur in Villa Park were controlled with a large knife switch located in a wooden box on a pole. I once watched as the trainman switched the power on. Totally a guess, but I would imagine that the power was not on continuously after regular passenger service ended.  I seriously doubt that management spent any money (or had any money to spend) to alert people of power on/off.

            Glen Brewer
            Railroad Glory Days

          • T.U. Leaton
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 17, 2012
              In the two or three years after passenger service stopped, the line ran freights both day and night from the IHB interchange Westbound.  The block signaling was definitely on, and quite visible at night, and the dual steeplecabs must have had full third rail power.  The block signals were were closely spaced, and after a train passed while standing at a crossing looking down the right of way, you could watch as many as three block signals at once cycling through red, amber and green.  During those years the railroad was kept up, and there was no need to post special warnings that had not been there previously.   Neighbors knew about the third rail, (but I always wondered if wandering pets ever ran afoul of it).  After the freights stopped I am pretty sure the power went off as well, since the president wrote us a pass to enter the Wheaton yards and take photos.
              Tom

              To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 18, 2012
                "What did the 'clean up train' do?"

                It was one last train to pick up any freight cars ramaining on the line.  You can see two photos of it passing through Villa Park, westbound, on my web site.

                "Do you recall when you went down by the stations was there any signage left on or around with the CA&E logo? Anything inside?"

                Nothing much changed at the stations for several years. They were locked, of course. I think the Villa Avenue station remained as an operating drug store with only the waiting room shut down, contents intact. I don't know when the station sign was removed, but I believe it was still there when the rails were removed, and I don't remember any notices regarding service.

                Villa Avenue

                Danger

                Station sign

                Glen Brewer
                Remembering the 'Ror'n' Elgin
              • Thomas Kaufman
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 18, 2012
                  --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "glen brewer" wrote:
                  The clean up train removed all freight cars that had remained on the industry sidings to return them to their owners. One other hting that wasn't mentioned was after the cessation of passenger service, I remember the CA&E removed the crossing gate arms from the grade crossings and every time the freight train operated, (twice a day as Glen mentioned both night and day), a member of the crew usually the flagman/brakeman had to flag the crossing before the train could occupy the grade crossing. That procedure is still in use today if the grade crossing has automatic protection and the device fails.

                  "What did the 'clean up train' do?"

                  It was one last train to pick up any freight cars ramaining on the line.
                  You can see two photos of it passing through Villa Park, westbound, on
                  my web site.

                  "Do you recall when you went down by the stations was there any signage
                  left on or around with the CA&E logo? Anything inside?"/brake

                • kendietz@rocketmail.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 19, 2012
                    Wow. I imagine with all the crossings the freight took a long time to get from point to point.

                    Which brings me to some more questions.

                    How much freight was moved after passenger service stopped? What companies besides Ovaltine would have been involved in the service? Elgin Watch Company? Where would the pickup points for receiving freight cars been? The B&O or Grand Trunk at Forest Park? At the Indiana Harbor line in Bellwood? Somewhere out West?

                  • twtrains@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 19, 2012
                      The CA&E pulled every freight car back west of DesPainse Ave in Forest Park, before September 20, 1953. Sad day!

                      Wow. I imagine with all the crossings the freight took a long time to get from point to point.

                      Which brings me to some more questions.

                      How much freight was moved after passenger service stopped? What companies besides Ovaltine would have been involved in the service? Elgin Watch Company? Where would the pickup points for receiving freight cars been? The B&O or Grand Trunk at Forest Park? At the Indiana Harbor line in Bellwood? Somewhere out West?

                      --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Kaufman" <thomas.kaufman@...> wrote:

                      > --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "glen brewer" wrote:
                      > The clean up train removed all freight cars that had remained on the industry sidings to return them to their owners. One other hting that wasn't mentioned was after the cessation of passenger service, I remember the CA&E removed the crossing gate arms from the grade crossings and every time the freight train operated, (twice a day as Glen mentioned both night and day), a member of the crew usually the flagman/brakeman had to flag the crossing before the train could occupy the grade crossing. That procedure is still in use today if the grade crossing has automatic protection and the device fails.
                      >
                      > "What did the 'clean up train' do?"
                      >
                      > It was one last train to pick up any freight cars ramaining on the line.
                      > You can see two photos of it passing through Villa Park, westbound, on
                      > my web site.
                      >
                      > "Do you recall when you went down by the stations was there any signage
                      > left on or around with the CA&E logo? Anything inside?"/brake
                      >
                      > Nothing much changed at the stations for several years. They were
                      > locked, of course. I think the Villa Avenue station remained as an
                      > operating drug store with only the waiting room shut down, contents
                      > intact. I don't know when the station sign was removed, but I believe it
                      > was still there when the rails were removed, and I don't remember any
                      > notices regarding service.
                      >
                      > Villa Avenue
                      >
                      > Danger
                      >
                      > Station sign
                      >
                      > Glen Brewer
                      > Remembering the 'Ror'n' Elgin

                    • STANFORD NETTIS
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 19, 2012
                        Coal for the Elgin Mental Hospital was not delivered by the C A & E.
                         It was delivered by the Aurora  Elgin & Fox River Electric Co. Which came off of the Illinois Central.

                        The trackage from the I C interchange to apx Rte 31 is now operated by the Fox River Trolley Museum.

                        Stan Nettis membr FRTM

                        Coal delivered to the Elgin Mental Health Center was one until the EPA told them no no no more coal!

                         Joe

                        --- In mailto:thegreatthirdrail%40yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Kaufman" <thomas.kaufman@...> wrote:

                        > --- In mailto:thegreatthirdrail%40yahoogroups.com, "glen brewer" wrote:
                        > The clean up train removed all freight cars that had remained on the industry sidings to return them to their owners. One other hting that wasn't mentioned was after the cessation of passenger service, I remember the CA&E removed the crossing gate arms from the grade crossings and every time the freight train operated, (twice a day as Glen mentioned both night and day), a member of the crew usually the flagman/brakeman had to flag the crossing before the train could occupy the grade crossing. That procedure is still in use today if the grade crossing has automatic protection and the device fails.
                        >
                        > "What did the 'clean up train' do?"
                        >
                        > It was one last train to pick up any freight cars ramaining on the line.
                        > You can see two photos of it passing through Villa Park, westbound, on
                        > my web site.
                        >
                        > "Do you recall when you went down by the stations was there any signage
                        > left on or around with the CA&E logo? Anything inside?"/brake
                        >
                        > Nothing much changed at the stations for several years. They were
                        > locked, of course. I think the Villa Avenue station remained as an
                        > operating drug store with only the waiting room shut down, contents
                        > intact. I don't know when the station sign was removed, but I believe it
                        > was still there when the rails were removed, and I don't remember any
                        > notices regarding service.
                        >
                        > Villa Avenue
                        >
                        > Danger
                        >
                        > Station sign
                        >
                        > Glen Brewer
                        > Remembering the 'Ror'n' Elgin

                      • twtrains
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 19, 2012
                          The CA&E pulled every freight car back west of Des Planes Ave in Forest Park, before the connection was severed. September 20, 1953. Sad day!

                          --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "kendietz@..." <kendietz@...> wrote:

                          > Wow. I imagine with all the crossings the freight took a long time to get from point to point.
                          >
                          > Which brings me to some more questions.
                          >
                          > How much freight was moved after passenger service stopped? What companies besides Ovaltine would have been involved in the service? Elgin Watch Company? Where would the pickup points for receiving freight cars been? The B&O or Grand Trunk at Forest Park? At the Indiana Harbor line in Bellwood? Somewhere out West?
                          >
                          > --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Kaufman" <thomas.kaufman@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "glen brewer" wrote:
                          > > The clean up train removed all freight cars that had remained on the industry sidings to return them to their owners. One other hting that wasn't mentioned was after the cessation of passenger service, I remember the CA&E removed the crossing gate arms from the grade crossings and every time the freight train operated, (twice a day as Glen mentioned both night and day), a member of the crew usually the flagman/brakeman had to flag the crossing before the train could occupy the grade crossing. That procedure is still in use today if the grade crossing has automatic protection and the device fails.
                          > >
                          > > "What did the 'clean up train' do?"
                          > >
                          > > It was one last train to pick up any freight cars ramaining on the line.
                          > > You can see two photos of it passing through Villa Park, westbound, on
                          > > my web site.
                          > >
                          > > "Do you recall when you went down by the stations was there any signage
                          > > left on or around with the CA&E logo? Anything inside?"/brake
                          > >
                          > > Nothing much changed at the stations for several years. They were
                          > > locked, of course. I think the Villa Avenue station remained as an
                          > > operating drug store with only the waiting room shut down, contents
                          > > intact. I don't know when the station sign was removed, but I believe it
                          > > was still there when the rails were removed, and I don't remember any
                          > > notices regarding service.
                          > >
                          > > Villa Avenue
                          > >
                          > > Danger
                          > >
                          > > Station sign
                          > >
                          > > Glen Brewer
                          > > Remembering the 'Ror'n' Elgin

                        • Joe
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 19, 2012
                            oops...You are very much right. I stand corrected! That's what I get for typing before I think

                             Joe

                            Coal delivered to the Elgin Mental Health Center was one until the EPA told them no no no more coal!

                             Joe

                            Wow. I imagine with all the crossings the freight took a long time to get from point to point. Which brings me to some more questions. How much freight was moved after passenger service stopped? What companies besides Ovaltine would have been involved in the service? Elgin Watch Company? Where would the pickup points for receiving freight cars been? The B&O or Grand Trunk at Forest Park? At the Indiana Harbor line in Bellwood? Somewhere out West?
                            --- In mailto:thegreatthirdrail%40yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Kaufman" <thomas.kaufman@...> wrote: > > --- In mailto:thegreatthirdrail%40yahoogroups.com, "glen brewer" wrote: > The clean up train removed all freight cars that had remained on the industry sidings to return them to their owners. One other hting that wasn't mentioned was after the cessation of passenger service, I remember the CA&E removed the crossing gate arms from the grade crossings and every time the freight train operated, (twice a day as Glen mentioned both night and day), a member of the crew usually the flagman/brakeman had to flag the crossing before the train could occupy the grade crossing. That procedure is still in use today if the grade crossing has automatic protection and the device fails. > > "What did the 'clean up train' do?" > > It was one last train to pick up any freight cars ramaining on the line. > You can see two photos of it passing through Villa Park, westbound, on > my web site. > > "Do you recall when you went down by the stations was there any signage > left on or around with the CA&E logo? Anything inside?"/brake > > Nothing much changed at the stations for several years. They were > locked, of course. I think the Villa Avenue station remained as an > operating drug store with only the waiting room shut down, contents > intact. I don't know when the station sign was removed, but I believe it > was still there when the rails were removed, and I don't remember any > notices regarding service. > > Villa Avenue > > Danger > > Station sign > > Glen Brewer > Remembering the 'Ror'n' Elgin >
                          • glen brewer
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 19, 2012
                              The gates were still operational in Villa Park when the last train came through -- in fact, they were still in place on July 18, 1961 when this photo was taken.

                              Villa Avenue July 18, 1961

                              --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Kaufman" wrote:

                              > --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "glen brewer" wrote:
                              > The clean up train removed all freight cars that had remained on the industry sidings to return them to their owners. One other hting that wasn't mentioned was after the cessation of passenger service, I remember the CA&E removed the crossing gate arms from the grade crossings and every time the freight train operated, (twice a day as Glen mentioned both night and day), a member of the crew usually the flagman/brakeman had to flag the crossing before the train could occupy the grade crossing. That procedure is still in use today if the grade crossing has automatic protection and the device fails.
                              >
                              > "What did the 'clean up train' do?"
                              >
                              > It was one last train to pick up any freight cars ramaining on the line.
                              > You can see two photos of it passing through Villa Park, westbound, on
                              > my web site.
                              >
                              > "Do you recall when you went down by the stations was there any signage
                              > left on or around with the CA&E logo? Anything inside?"/brake
                              >
                              > Nothing much changed at the stations for several years. They were
                              > locked, of course. I think the Villa Avenue station remained as an
                              > operating drug store with only the waiting room shut down, contents
                              > intact. I don't know when the station sign was removed, but I believe it
                              > was still there when the rails were removed, and I don't remember any
                              > notices regarding service.
                              >
                              > Villa Avenue
                              >
                              > Danger
                              >
                              > Station sign
                              >
                              > Glen Brewer
                              > Remembering the 'Ror'n' Elgin

                            • glen brewer
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 19, 2012
                                Correct link:

                                Villa Avenue July 18, 1961

                                Glen

                                --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "glen brewer" wrote:

                                > The gates were still operational in Villa Park when the last train came
                                > through -- in fact, they were still in place on July 18, 1961 when this
                                > photo was taken.
                                >
                                > Villa Avenue July 18, 1961
                                >

                                > --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Kaufman" wrote:
                                > >
                                > > --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "glen brewer" wrote:
                                > > The clean up train removed all freight cars that had remained on the
                                > industry sidings to return them to their owners. One other hting that
                                > wasn't mentioned was after the cessation of passenger service, I
                                > remember the CA&E removed the crossing gate arms from the grade
                                > crossings and every time the freight train operated, (twice a day as
                                > Glen mentioned both night and day), a member of the crew usually the
                                > flagman/brakeman had to flag the crossing before the train could occupy
                                > the grade crossing. That procedure is still in use today if the grade
                                > crossing has automatic protection and the device fails.
                                > >
                                > > "What did the 'clean up train' do?"
                                > >
                                > > It was one last train to pick up any freight cars ramaining on the
                                > line.
                                > > You can see two photos of it passing through Villa Park, westbound,
                                > on
                                > > my web site.
                                > >
                                > > "Do you recall when you went down by the stations was there any
                                > signage
                                > > left on or around with the CA&E logo? Anything inside?"/brake
                                > >
                                > > Nothing much changed at the stations for several years. They were
                                > > locked, of course. I think the Villa Avenue station remained as an
                                > > operating drug store with only the waiting room shut down, contents
                                > > intact. I don't know when the station sign was removed, but I believe
                                > it
                                > > was still there when the rails were removed, and I don't remember any
                                > > notices regarding service.
                                > >
                                > > Villa Avenue
                                > >
                                > > Danger
                                > >
                                > > Station sign
                                > >
                                > > Glen Brewer
                                > > Remembering the 'Ror'n' Elgin

                              • George
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 20, 2012
                                  --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "kendietz@..." <kendietz@...> wrote:

                                  > Wow. I imagine with all the crossings the freight took a long time to get from point to point.
                                  >
                                  > Which brings me to some more questions.
                                  >
                                  > How much freight was moved after passenger service stopped? What companies besides Ovaltine would have been involved in the service? Elgin Watch Company? Where would the pickup points for receiving freight cars been? The B&O or Grand Trunk at Forest Park? At the Indiana Harbor line in Bellwood? Somewhere out West?

                                  The original investors of RELIC (Railway Equipment Leasing and Investment Corporation), forerunner of today's Fox River Trolley Museum, originally planned to buy the CA&E rails from Elgin to Wayne, location of the EJ&E interchange, and operate a freight railroad, Fox River & Eastern. Nothing came of this scheme, and the result was the museum at South Elgin on the rails of the AE&FRE.

                                  There was no rail connection from CA&E to the Elgin Watch Company. There may have been one with the C&NW, adjacent to the watch company to the east.
                                • T.U. Leaton
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 20, 2012
                                    I believe that there was interchange with the Burlington, along Hwy 25 in Aurora, which would have given them connections at both ends of the line.   In DuPage County, 1958-1960 Freight movements were common enough for the distinctive sound of the loco's horns to be heard weekly if not sooner.  ( a single note horn, like an SW-1). Those twin red steeple cabs were colorful.
                                    Tom

                                    To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: gfoelschow@...
                                    Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 18:17:40 +0000