Prince Crossing Station Restoration

  • dashund_2000
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 2, 2012
      Several weeks ago I stoped by the former CA&E Prince Crossing Station. The train modelers inside gave me a nice tour. I am happy to report that this station has come a long way and will continue to improve. However, I suggest that the outside be renovated to look close to what it did around 1957 or so( minus the track). Also, I would like the unsightly fence in the front replaced with something more elegant. Does anyone agree with me?
    • Jonathan Stevens
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 2, 2012
        Would be interested in visiting.  Could you send contact information for the group doing this work?

        One more thing, was there ever a CA&E stop on Pleasant Hill Rd.?

        Jon

        Several weeks ago I stoped by the former CA&E Prince Crossing Station. The train modelers inside gave me a nice tour. I am happy to report that this station has come a long way and will continue to improve. However, I suggest that the outside be renovated to look close to what it did around 1957 or so( minus the track). Also, I would like the unsightly fence in the front replaced with something more elegant. Does anyone agree with me?

      • Charles Happel
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 3, 2012
          There never was a stop at Pleasant Hill.  Jewell Road was very close to it, however.

          Chuck Happel

          If good things come to those who wait, then why is procrastination bad?
          -Philosoraptor

          Would be interested in visiting.  Could you send contact information for the group doing this work?

          One more thing, was there ever a CA&E stop on Pleasant Hill Rd.?

          Jon

          Several weeks ago I stoped by the former CA&E Prince Crossing Station. The train modelers inside gave me a nice tour. I am happy to report that this station has come a long way and will continue to improve. However, I suggest that the outside be renovated to look close to what it did around 1957 or so( minus the track). Also, I would like the unsightly fence in the front replaced with something more elegant. Does anyone agree with me?

        • Milton Lemke
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 3, 2012
            I disagree.  I think there was a stop at Pleasant Hill Road.  I grew up in that area and as I recall there was a small black shed placed in position where a station would most likely be to pick up passengers. However this might of been a flag stop.  The old store, which we use to call "Aunt Tillys" is still there and I do believe "Aunt Tilliys" use to serve waiting passengers.  As far as stations being too close, it seems to me that the CA&E stations were always closed to one another.  Look at Westley in Wheaton and the Wheaton station.  Villa Park Ardmore, and Villa, and so on.

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 3, 2012
              The only contact information I have is that the modelers work on Tuesday's.
            • George
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 3, 2012
                --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, Charles Happel <cghappel2001@...> wrote:

                > There never was a stop at Pleasant Hill. Jewell Road was very close to it, however.
                >
                > Chuck Happel

                I checked the maps in CERA B-105. There was a flag stop at Geneva Junction with several sidings while the Geneva branch was in existence. After the Geneva branch was abandoned, a siding remained on the Elgin branch identified as Pleasant Hill with an alternate name of Geneva Junction. In a sense, then, there was a stop at Pleasant Hill (though not exactly at Pleasant Hill Road) until 1938.
              • Milton Lemke
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 3, 2012
                  Then what was that black small shelter like building that sat on the northwest corner of Pleasant Hill Road, and the tracks?

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 3, 2012
                    It seems that shelter might be the remnants of Generva Junction, although I do not recall any platform remnants.  What time frame are we talking about?

                    Chuck Happel

                    If good things come to those who wait, then why is procrastination bad?
                    -Philosoraptor

                    Then what was that black small shelter like building that sat on the northwest corner of Pleasant Hill Road, and the tracks?

                    > There never was a stop at Pleasant Hill. Jewell Road was very close to it, however.
                    >
                    > Chuck Happel

                    I checked the maps in CERA B-105. There was a flag stop at Geneva Junction with several sidings while the Geneva branch was in existence. After the Geneva branch was abandoned, a siding remained on the Elgin branch identified as Pleasant Hill with an alternate name of Geneva Junction. In a sense, then, there was a stop at Pleasant Hill (though not exactly at Pleasant Hill Road) until 1938.

                  • T.U. Leaton
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 3, 2012
                      I can't help with the mystery, but most wood shelters were gray and red after the 'forties, I believe.
                      Tom

                      To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com
                      From: lemkejr@...
                      Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 13:29:28 -0700

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 4, 2012
                        Now as my memory serves me I do recall, I think, this small (black) shed(?) had tools in it.  But why would the CA&E leave tools out in the middle of no where?  I do vaguely recall that "Aunt Tilly's" served as a little coffee shop, or whatever, for waiting commuters.  Aunt Tilly's is still there and not too far from the Prairie Path. I mention Aunt Tilly's because when my folks moved to Pleasant Hill in 1950 (I was one year old then) I remember my Mom taking me (I was older then) to Aunt Tilly's so we she could buy some groceries, and I had ice cream! I sort of remember seeing some small tables near the windows, and a dinner top with stools.  Oh well, whatever it's all  gone now.  Except for Aunt Tilly.

                        To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com
                        From: lemkejr@...
                        Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 13:29:28 -0700

                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 5, 2012
                          If I am not mistaken, you answered your own question.  When I became familiar with the area, about 1960, things had changed.

                          To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com
                          From: lemkejr@...
                          Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 13:29:28 -0700

                          Then what was that black small shelter like building that sat on the northwest corner of Pleasant Hill Road, and the tracks?

                          > There never was a stop at Pleasant Hill. Jewell Road was very close to it, however.
                          >
                          > Chuck Happel

                          I checked the maps in CERA B-105. There was a flag stop at Geneva Junction with several sidings while the Geneva branch was in existence. After the Geneva branch was abandoned, a siding remained on the Elgin branch identified as Pleasant Hill with an alternate name of Geneva Junction. In a sense, then, there was a stop at Pleasant Hill (though not exactly at Pleasant Hill Road) until 1938.

                        • greatthirdrail_org
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 6, 2012
                            A quick look through my timetables shows that Geneva Junction reverted back to being called Pleasant Hill for a time. It was around until at least 1942. No mention of the stop is in my next timetable, which is from 1945.

                            http://www.greatthirdrail.org/pdf/1942-11-08.pdf

                            Don, GreatThirdRail.org

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 17, 2013
                              My wish is for someone to come forward and restore the Prince Crossing Station in West Chicago with some landscaping and remove the unsightly fence that was erected a few years back to prevent riders on the Illinois prairie path from using this section. Does anyone agree with me? They have finished the restoration of the building and it looks nice. Now lets finish the job on this gem and make it look like it did in 1957 (minus the tracks of course-hey why not reinstall them too:)
                              Jerry Hund
                            • 02c3095db1793f48a6cdaefd7cae97f5
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 11, 2014
                                I think that would be nice. There is not much of the line left. It would be nice to see that.