Re: [thegreatthirdrail] CA&E In the 1950s

  • Larry M
    Message 1 of 106 , Apr 15, 2012
      I did cover PCC cars on the CA&E before and came to the conclusion that they would require overhead rather than third rail. They would lack the riding quality and at best a top speed of 40 mph based on the picture window Pullman cars on the Green Line in Boston.   There were suburban PCC cars on the IT out of St. Louis and the Pacific Electric that were probably more suitable for the CA&E but not to downtown Chicago. Perhaps an add on order to the 2000 series which would have required high platforms at the stops with gauntlet tracks similar to Winnetka on the
      Shore Line. The 2000 series had a top speed of 70 mph. They could have had better interiors and ride quality.

      Of course this is little more than a "what if" and nothing more

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Apr 16, 2012, at 0:52, David Sadowski <dsadowski@...> wrote:

      The idea is somewhat akin to how SEPTA bought some 6000s from the CTA in the 1980s and these were used for several years until new equipment could be purchased for the Norristown line.  But in that case, the cars were, if anything, not quite wide enough, so they had to be adapted to fit existing platforms.

      CA&E would have had the opposite problem.  Some cars they might have been able to purchase may have been too wide.

      Most likely, the largest number of second-hand streetcars in the 1950s were PCCs.  I don't know to what extent they would have had the correct clearances.

      Of course, trains that used trolley poles could have been adapted to use third rail.  In some cases, trains that had low-level boarding could be adapted for high platforms.

      I'm sure someone will bring up riding quality.  But there were definitely PCCs that were used in Interurban service.

      For CA&E, there would have been two considerations... trains that could operate downtown over the CTA system, and trains that could only go so far as Des Plaines.  And I do recall that some CA&E platforms had platform extensions that could be flipped to allow freight to pass.

      =
    • David Sadowski
      Message 106 of 106 , Apr 29, 2012

        Um, in real life Eddie Haskell became an LA cop who was shot several times in the line of duty, and Wally is an artist who had someting on display in the Louvre in Paris.  Real life is always more interesting than what some people imagine.