Saturday Morning Drive

  • Zach
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 23, 2012
      On Saturday, June 28th 1958, a local Lake Forest man is out for a morning drive in his 1955 Chevrolet Bel-Air. As he drives west on Old Elm Road, he approaches the right of way of the Chicago North Shore and Milwaukee Railroad. Suddenly, the wig wag signal guarding Old Elm Road swings into action and an air horn can be heard in the distance. As the man stops a blur of silver and red bursts out from behind the Sheridan Elms station, and charges past. The man takes note of a particularly clean car on the end of the train as it disappears into a trail of dust. The wig wag stops swinging, and the man continues on his drive into the quietness of Saturday morning.

      The man saw car 768, built by Standard Car Company in 1930. It was rebuilt as a Silverliner by the CNS&M's Highwood Shops and released into traffic the previous Tuesday, June 24th 1958. It would be the final of 31 cars rebuilt as Silverliners by the North Shore in the 1950's. Also in the train is car 750, rebuilt as a Silverliner in December 1952 and looking a little worse for wear. It would be repainted in 1959.

      This is a little something I wrote to accompany the drawing of the same name, which resides in the photo album, "nsl714's Traction Art" This didn't fit in the description tab of the photo, but I don't think it's complete without it, so here it is in full glory.

      Zach
    • Larry M
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 23, 2012
        I have photos on my website of 768 in the shops at Highwood during its conversion. I also have the signal bell and the rope from that car given to me by Mr. Cordell which I hung from my basement ceiling years ago. The Silverliners used buzzers instead to signal the motorman. The last Silverliner was in Spring, 1958. Car 409, former diner was converted in May, 1955 which I also have a photo of at Highwood. The NSL was always friendly to fans. Even young ones.

        Larry

        Sent from my iPhone
      • David Mummery
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 24, 2012