Nov - Dec 1922 CA & E wreck, Monterrey Ave., Villa Park

  • insullmagnate
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2011
      On the Shore Line Interurban Historical Society's Web site, you can find a link to selected digital reproductions of photographs from the Julie Johnson collection, and some digitized documents. In the "miscellaneous" section are several photographs of the derailment and overturning of a Chicago, Aurora & Elgin train near Monterrey Avenue in Villa Park in late 1922, after the train collided with an automobile on the crossing. The caption, I believe, indicated the wreck occurred in December 1922. (At least my notes from this summer say that.)

      However, an abstract of a 1964 article by John Cloos in this discussion list's message #802 (excerpted below) indicated the wreck occurred on a Sunday afternoon in November 1922.

      I'm working to find and obtain a copy of Electric Traction Quarterly Vol 2, No 3 (1964) for the complete article. I have a copy of ETQ Vol 1, No 2 (December 1962) with the article "Chicago Aurora & Elgin: Parlor Cars," but that doesn't mention the late 1922 derailment, which involved the parlor-buffet car "Florence." In the past, I searched the major CA & E books: Krambles, ed., THE GREAT THIRD RAIL (1961); Johnson, AURORA 'N' ELGIN (1965); and Plachno, SUNSET LINES, Vols 1-3 (1986-1989). However, I'm not as familiar with some sources about the CA & E as with, say, Indiana electric railroads. I suspect I'm missing or not thinking of something. So I turn to wiser, more knowledgeable people.

      Can anyone on the list recommend either some published modern account of this November or December 1922 CA & E accident that I've somehow missed or didn't think to look for, or a source from late 1922-1923 that described the accident and its aftermath?

      Eventually, I'd like to search microfilm copies of western suburban newspapers from the time of the accident, but want to pin down a specific date first. (I could not find any article in the digitized CHICAGO TRIBUNE, but that may reflect the lack of a digitized image, not the lack of an article back in 1922.) Right now, I'm not able to visit a library in Wheaton or Villa Park, and interlibrary loan has become complex and problematic with a recent financial crisis among library consortia, so I'm trying to learn of sources in advance.

      Any suggestions for sources about this late 1922 collision and derailment? Would the Illinois Commerce Commission have investigated and reported on this CA & E accident, the way the Interstate Commerce Commission would have investigated and reported about interstate railroad accidents? (Again, I'm more familiar with Indiana and Ohio sources, and past inquiries by letter to the Illinois Commerce Commission about records that might remain in ICC custody have gone largely unanswered.)

      Thanks in advance for guidance.

      Martin Tuohy
      Tinley Park, IL

      ______________________________
      Message 802 excerpt:

      Re: CAE 321 Wreck
      According to Jim Johnson's Electric Traction Quarterly, (Vol 2, #3,
      Spring of '64), in what is described as "The Great Third Rail Wreck of
      1922", are the following details :

      On a Sunday afternoon in November 1922 [November 5, 12, 19, or 26], the eastbound Parlor Dining car train rolled around the curve just west of Montgomery Ave in Villa Park. The train, having left Wheaton at 4:55 PM, consisted of half motor, dining car Florence, the 313, and the 321. The motor end of the Florence was to the rear, ie, the "unpowered" end of the car was leading the train. At 5:10 PM, the three car train, traveling at 70 mph, hit a Model T Ford at the Montgomery crossing.

      According to the article, all three cars received extensive vestibule damage, this is borne out by accompanying photos. The diner, Florence, ended up in the ditch alongside the right-of-way.
    • Carl Lantz
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2011
        Martin:
        I'm fairly certain that the Strahorn Library of IRM has a copy of ETJ-V2#3.
        If you are interested, I can copy the article and send it on to you
        or scan it and send a digital copy.
        I don't know if we have any extra copies for sale.
        I'll be there on Wednesday.

        Carl Lantz

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2011
          Thanks for the offer of reference assistance, Carl. I'll write to you off-list.

          Martin Tuohy
          Tinley Park, IL