Re: [thegreatthirdrail] Conductors Uniform

  • Mitchell Markovitz
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 25, 2011

      Who is making your vest, and of what fabric are they using? The proper fabric is a Raeford-Burlington Mills 14 oz. navy blue Dacron and wool blend.

      Waterbury Button Company has most of their old dies for manufacturing buttons available. You have to order a gross box, or 144 pieces and that will cast around $ 121.00. You could always sell the remainder, or a museum could go in on the deal.

      Here's a link to the NSL button

      www.waterburybutton.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=20559

      Good luck to us all.

      Mitch

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 26, 2011
        Mitch said:
        Waterbury Button Company has most of their old dies for manufacturing buttons available. You have to order a gross box, or 144 pieces and that will cast around $ 121.00. You could always sell the remainder, or a museum could go in on the deal.

        Maybe that's why they didn't reply to my inquiry. We'd like about a dozen CA&E buttons, but who can use the rest? I don't really want to go into the retail button business. Let me know if there's any interest.

        Randall
      • RayCosyn
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 26, 2011
          I am interested in a dozen buttons. Let me know how you wish to proceed.
          The CA&E buttons are very cool.

          Ray Cosyn
          Saratoga California

          Waterbury Button Company has most of their old dies for manufacturing buttons available. You have to order a gross box, or 144 pieces and that will cast around $ 121.00. You could always sell the remainder, or a museum could go in on the deal.

          Maybe that's why they didn't reply to my inquiry. We'd like about a dozen CA&E buttons, but who can use the rest? I don't really want to go into the retail button business. Let me know if there's any interest.

          Randall

        • Joe Stupar
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 26, 2011
            I and several others at IRM purchased several sets of buttons at the gift shop at East Troy a number of years back. I don't if I have any left now, I had an incomplete set and I gave some to other members to help complete their uniforms. I don't know if East Troy has these sets anymore, I believe they were trying to sell them out when we bought them.

            The transquip page says they sell buttons for about $4.00 each, at http://www.transquip.net/uniforms.html . Its possible they have purchased large enough orders of each kind and are selling them now. As was mentioned here, perhaps enough people could put in together to get a complete order as well. That may be what happened at East Troy.

            Joe

            > Waterbury Button Company has most of their old dies for
            > manufacturing buttons available. You have to order a gross
            > box, or 144 pieces and that will cast around $ 121.00. You
            > could always sell the remainder, or a museum could go in on
            > the deal.
            >
            > Maybe that's why they didn't reply to my inquiry.
            > We'd like about a dozen CA&E buttons, but who can use
            > the rest?  I don't really want to go into the retail
            > button business.  Let me know if there's any interest.
            >
            > Randall

            >     thegreatthirdrail-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          • George
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 26, 2011
              I'm convinced. I want some CA&E buttons too, so I'll go into the retail button business. I'll order a gross (or two if there is sufficient interest), make buttons available to members of this board at my cost including shipping, keep what I want, and donate the balance remaining to IRM and FRTM for their gift shops.

              If you are interested, please e-mail me OFF-LINE (<gfoelschow@...>) with your e-mail address and number of buttons desired. This incurs no obligation on your part. Such a deal.

              George Foelschow
            • Mitchell Markovitz
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 27, 2011

                First I want to say that I've spoken with the person that owns Transquip and he's knowledgeable and competent.

                The problems in the uniform garment industry preclude small orders of what is truly a standard railroad uniform, in the proper color cloth, in the standard format.

                The buttons that they have for sale are merely plain buttons with the horizontal lines on them They're not specific to any particular railroad.

                If 12 people were to chip in $20 each we could get a box of large and a box of small NSL uniform buttons. Four large buttons and 10 small buttons per uniform.

                As a sideline the North Shore stopped using silver buttons and trim for collectors around WWII. Same with the CA&E. The South Shore Line was the last railroad in the country to keep the gold-silver distinction in uniform trim up until the uniform standards changed in 2004.

                Mitch

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 27, 2011

                  If you sell the remainder or put them on eBay you can make a small profit. You have a good idea about polling the group.

                  Mitch