Re: [thegreatthirdrail] Re: Can you identify these locations?

  • roygbenedict@juno.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2010
      In the post below, George Foelschow responded a few days ago to a question about the locations of four CA&E photos. One of them, with the distant streetcar off at the left and the conductor at the switch stand at the right, was on the cover of the Summer 1989 First & Fastest, edited at that time by Richard R. Kunz. The caption information says:

      "Late on a weekday afternoon in 1941 we are at Lockwood Avenue, at the west end of Chicago Aurora & Elgin's midday storage yard at Laramie Avenue, The 201 heads a four-car train westbound out of the yard. With the motorman's hand on the whistle cord and the conductor at the switch stand, the motorman will pull his train westbound onto the eastbound main line. The train crew will immediately change ends to run eastbound over the Garfield Park branch of the Metropolitan 'L' to CA&E's Wells Street Ternunal where the terminal switch crew will reverse the train in preparation for a very fast run westbound as a rush-hour Wheaton Express. The 201 was one of four cars, odd numbers only, 201-207, built by Niles Car & Manufacturing Co. in 1904, the second order of cars delivered to the CA&E. In the left background we see an eastbound CSL Harrison Street car.--Photograph and caption, JOE L. DIAZ."

      Amazing what one accidentally runs across while looking for a currently relevant item regarding the South Shore Line.

      ROY G. BENEDICT
      R-Benedict-11@...
      .
      .

      From: "George" <gfoelschow@...>
      To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [thegreatthirdrail] Re: Can you identify these locations?
      Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 23:42:21 -0000

      The fourth picture appears to be in single track territory with an unprotected grade crossing in the background. I don't recognize it as being on the Elgin branch. Looking at CERA B-105, Ferry Road on the Aurora branch fits the description. Hart Road on the Batavia branch does also, but the heavy rail and two-car train probably rules it out. Picture three might also be in the "pasture" at Lockwood, since Joe often visited an aunt or grandmother in the Harrison/Laramie neighborhood, but I'm not sure.