B/W Steeplecabs 3003-3004 Paint Scheme

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2010
      Were the B/W steeplecabs only in the gray/red paint scheme ?
      Haven't come across any photos of them painted any other way.

      John C
    • tom leaton
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2010

        www.greatthirdrail.org/ stations/main/wheaton.html

        To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com
        From: thegreatthirdrail@...
        Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 14:32:55 +0000
        Subject: [thegreatthirdrail] B/W Steeplecabs 3003-3004 Paint Scheme

        Were the B/W steeplecabs only in the gray/red paint scheme ?
        Haven't come across any photos of them painted any other way.

        John C

      • George
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2010
          --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "thegreatthirdrail" <thegreatthirdrail@...> wrote:

          > Were the B/W steeplecabs only in the gray/red paint scheme ?
          > Haven't come across any photos of them painted any other way.
          >
          > John C

          Check out Hopkins Peffer's Volume 3, "The Third Rail Line", page 153. They were presumably painted black, as were 2001 and 2002 in that era, according to CERA B-105. I don't believe anything was painted red/gray before the arrival of cars 451-460 in 1945.
        • tom leaton
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 2, 2010
            Here is a page showing them in all 3 ca&e color schemes

            http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr258.htm

            To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com
            From: thegreatthirdrail@...
            Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 14:32:55 +0000

            Were the B/W steeplecabs only in the gray/red paint scheme ?
            Haven't come across any photos of them painted any other way.

            John C

          • chicagoutopia
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 2, 2010
              The photos don't tell the entire story. The gray used was not the same blue-gray used on the passenger cars. It was a true gray - mix of black and white. The "freight gray" as it could be called, was also used on buildings and the like painted red and gray.

              The locomotives were painted black until quite late in their careers, perhaps 1950. When the decision was made to no longer paint them black, a red-silver/aluminum alternating stripe paint scheme was applied. In the first year the striping was reversed - the red applied where the silver/aluminum was and vice versa. Also, the silver/aluminum, like most silver/aluminium of the era, when weathered and aged turned gray.

              At this point a decision was made to just paint the locos red and gray. For these reasons models can be found with a red-silver or red-gray paint scheme plus the stripes alternating.

              --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, tom leaton <tomleaton@...> wrote:

              > Here is a page showing them in all 3 ca&e color schemes
              >
              > http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr258.htm
              >
              > To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com
              > From: thegreatthirdrail@...
              > Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 14:32:55 +0000
              > Subject: [thegreatthirdrail] B/W Steeplecabs 3003-3004 Paint Scheme

              > Were the B/W steeplecabs only in the gray/red paint scheme ?
              >
              > Haven't come across any photos of them painted any other way.
              >

              > John C

            • tom leaton
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 2, 2010
                So, if I understand correctly, the locos started out black, then became silver with red stripes.  Finally they were repainted mainly red, with blue-gray stripes.  Correct?

                To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com
                From: lkh604@...
                Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 20:45:59 +0000
                Subject: [thegreatthirdrail] Re: B/W Steeplecabs 3003-3004 Paint Scheme

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 2, 2010
                  Ed
                  I knew you could be counted on for definitive answers.
                  I knew they were originally black, but somehow forgot that fact.
                  Always wondered how long they stayed in the black scheme.

                  So, two more questions then,,
                  1) How soon into their life on the CA&E did they get the additional truss rods to strengthen the bodies
                  2) What decal sets (since we're speaking about models) are available for lettering/numbering the different schemes ?
                  (Personally looking for what I would assume would be white lettering as I'm most interested in a late '20s, early '30s era) O Scale of course !

                  Thanks to all for the assistance.

                • chicagoutopia
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 2, 2010
                    They were never painted in the blue-gray. That was reserved for passenger cars only. The freight locos plus the tower car #11 and #7, the tool car, were painted "freight" gray and red. The silver was replaced with gray.

                    Ed
                    --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, tom leaton <tomleaton@...> wrote:

                    > So, if I understand correctly, the locos started out black, then became silver with red stripes. Finally they were repainted mainly red, with blue-gray stripes. Correct?
                    >
                    > To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: lkh604@...
                    > Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 20:45:59 +0000
                    > Subject: [thegreatthirdrail] Re: B/W Steeplecabs 3003-3004 Paint Scheme

                    > The photos don't tell the entire story. The gray used was not the same blue-gray used on the passenger cars. It was a true gray - mix of black and white. The "freight gray" as it could be called, was also used on buildings and the like painted red and gray.
                    >

                    > The locomotives were painted black until quite late in their careers, perhaps 1950. When the decision was made to no longer paint them black, a red-silver/aluminum alternating stripe paint scheme was applied. In the first year the striping was reversed - the red applied where the silver/aluminum was and vice versa. Also, the silver/aluminum, like most silver/aluminium of the era, when weathered and aged turned gray.
                    >

                    > At this point a decision was made to just paint the locos red and gray. For these reasons models can be found with a red-silver or red-gray paint scheme plus the stripes alternating.
                    >

                    > --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, tom leaton <tomleaton@> wrote:
                    >

                    > > Here is a page showing them in all 3 ca&e color schemes
                    >

                    > > http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr258.htm
                    >

                    > > To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com
                    >
                    > > From: thegreatthirdrail@
                    >
                    > > Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 14:32:55 +0000
                    >
                    > > Subject: [thegreatthirdrail] B/W Steeplecabs 3003-3004 Paint Scheme

                    > > Were the B/W steeplecabs only in the gray/red paint scheme ?
                    >

                    > > Haven't come across any photos of them painted any other way.
                    >

                    > > John C

                    > > Hotmail is redefining busy with tools for the New Busy. Get more from your inbox.
                    >
                    > > http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_2

                  • chicagoutopia
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 2, 2010
                      John, some answers -
                      "...how long they stayed in the black scheme." Good question! 1st I doubt anyone knows for sure. Probably up until the late 40's or extremely early 50's. Only dated photos would help for sure.
                      "How soon into their life on the CA&E did they get the additional truss rods to strengthen the bodies" By truss rods you mean the rods added to the exterior near the hoods? I don't know, but I recall a mention of adding them in a book I read. Once again a study of photos would help.
                      "What decal sets (since we're speaking about models) are available for lettering/numbering the different schemes?" The CA&E like most small railroads wanted to same money. So in the repainting process, lettering, which was expensive, was often taped-over and the car repainted. The tape was removed and the lettering was there! Chances are the lettering on the locos when painted black was gold or one of the variations of gold used by the RR's. Since you're looking for I scale, take at look at the decals Greg Bosak has at Chicagoland Hobby (CLH). There was one set of CA&E decals Pete Busak had made for sale at CLH that included the freight locos, box motors, and Fox Valley cars.

                      Ed