CA and E colors

  • Gene Jannece
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30, 2010
    When I restored a motorman's stool at FRTM a while ago I found the expected colors underneath when I sanded it down for painting.

    There were two different shades of gray.   One was gray and the other was a bit bluer.   There was traction orange and the rich looking maroon.

    But that green color is really throwing me.   I do not believe it was ever used on the C A and E.

    The story of the stool is that someone dropped it off at the museum and said it had belonged to the railroad.   There is no way to tell for sure but the colors would  suggest it is true.    Except for that green!   Anyone have any thoughts?
  • Scott Greig
    Message 2 of 7 , Mar 30, 2010
      Do you have a pic of the stool itself?

      [Attachment(s) from Gene Jannece included below]

      When I restored a motorman's stool at FRTM a while ago I found the expected colors underneath when I sanded it down for painting.

      There were two different shades of gray.   One was gray and the other was a bit bluer.   There was traction orange and the rich looking maroon.

      But that green color is really throwing me.   I do not believe it was ever used on the C A and E.

      The story of the stool is that someone dropped it off at the museum and said it had belonged to the railroad.   There is no way to tell for sure but the colors would  suggest it is true.    Except for that green!   Anyone have any thoughts?

      Attachment(s) from Gene Jannece

      3 of 3 Photo(s)

    • Scott Greig
      Message 3 of 7 , Mar 30, 2010
        My understanding (from the North Shore at least) is that motorman's stools were issued unpainted when new (or with a basic finish, like varnish and maybe stain).  Individual motormen would customize "their" stools on their own time, frequently with a cushion and upholstery (often by dropping the upholstery shop guys a couple of bucks) and, in some cases, they would get painted by the individual users.

        Most painted stools I've seen were done with company paint (it was free after all), but I imagine there was nothing to prevent a motorman's using some shade of paint they'd bought on their own.

        Likewise, the CA&E and "L" shared terminal facilities all the way to 1957...perhaps some long-ago CA&E motorman grabbed an "L" stool for his run.  Green would certainly have been found on the "L" into the CRT era.

        Message 4 of 7 , Mar 31, 2010
          I understand that motorman's stools on the CA&E were often the private property of each motorman and had his employee number on the underside.  Often times the paint came from Wheaton Shop and even some upholstery work was done on the stools by fellow employees in the shop.  I suspect that the green paint was either a motorman's personal paint job or that the paint may have come the same source as the the paint that have may have been used inside the shelters.  The shelter at the Fox River Trolley Museum in South Elgin, which is from the Hollywood stop, had a green interior.  To me the orange is more problematical as I don't believe the CA&E used much orange, maybe on its gasoline motor cars and other such track equipment.

          Joe Hazinski

          To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com

          Message 5 of 7 , Mar 31, 2010
            Hmm...could the orange have been Fox River orange?

            To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com

            Message 6 of 7 , Mar 31, 2010
              Did the CA&E ever "brand" their initials on the underside of motorman's stools?  I know the "L" did pre-CTA...I have seen a couple of CRT-marked stools, and I have one marked for Chicago Elevated Railroads.

              To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com

              Message 7 of 7 , Mar 31, 2010
                From what I have been told the number was painted on the bottom not branded.  If they were the motorman's personal property there would be no reason for a railroad "brand". CA&E headlights in original condition (not repainted) have numbers painted on them.
                I wonder how many headlights the railroad actually had.  Some of the old Pyrene fire extinguishers had "Stolen from CA&E" embossed on the top.  Unfortunately I don't have one.

                To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com
                From: sbgreig_m1@...
                Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 19:13:52 -0700

                To: thegreatthirdrail@ yahoogroups. com
                From: gene.jannece@ gmail.com
                Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 20:21:22 -0500

                [Attachment(s) from Gene Jannece included below] When I restored a motorman's stool at FRTM a while ago I found the expected colors underneath when I sanded it down for painting.

                There were two different shades of gray.   One was gray and the other was a bit bluer.   There was traction orange and the rich looking maroon.

                But that green color is really throwing me.   I do not believe it was ever used on the C A and E.

                The story of the stool is that someone dropped it off at the museum and said it had belonged to the railroad.   There is no way to tell for sure but the colors would  suggest it is true.    Except for that green!   Anyone have any thoughts?

                Hotmail is redefining busy with tools for the New Busy. Get more from your inbox. Sign up now.