Rockhill Trolley Museum CA&E 315

  • Joel Salomon
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2010

    At the Rockhill Trolley Museum in Rockhill Furnace, PA we are slowly returning car 315 to as built condition with the exterior stained glass windows exposed. New frames have been installed on both sides of the car and the siding is being installed on one side. The original single window sills have been made and are ready to be installed.

    This past fall one end of the car was nearly completed with all new materials. The multiple layers of the floor was installed and the coupler was remounted under the platform for the first time since the car left Wheaton shops. The coupler and pilot had been removed to transport the car on the railroad flatcar to Pennsylvania. The trucks were moved in a gondola car.

    The interior of the car has had much of the paint removed in the coach section and varnish applied. The restroom was reinstalled using materials that were acquired from the CA&E in 1961 as the restroom had been removed from our car when the museum acquired it.

    Once question that is a mystery is what had happened to our 315 after the CA&E stopped operating. We have in our files, a receipt showing that the car was stored in a Chicago Northwestern roundhouse from April 14, 1962 through April 14, 1963 for the cost of $150.00. If anyone has information on the timeline of when and where 315 was at other times, we would be very glad to hear from anyone. The car arrived in Pennsylvania in May of 1963 and was unloaded in the East Broad Top Railroad Mt. Union yard and trucked 11 miles to Rockhill Furnace. Once in Rockhill, the car was placed on narrow gauge EBT trucks until the car could be reunited with its own power trucks.

    Also, if anyone has photos of 315 over the years, we would be extremely grateful as well.

    Joel Salomon
    Rockhill Trolley Museum
    www.rockhilltrolley.org