Re: [thegreatthirdrail] Re: CA&E HO scale Models for sale

  • RD347@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 13, 2009
      Models will also be offered at the Elmhurst Model Swap meet on Jan 8th, better prices than Ebay..

      Thanks

      Stan Wdowikowski
      Illinois Railway Museum
      Electric Car Dept.
    • schlimm1946
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 19, 2009
        I was fortunate to acquire several and they are wonderful indeed!

      • schlimm1946
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 19, 2009
          Could anyone share suggestions for model paints that are generally available and reasonably close to the post-1940 color schemes used?
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 19, 2009
            Common model paint mixes were listed in an article in First and Fastest some time back, I'll dig through the pile and see if I can find it for you. Are you looking for the blue/grey/red, or the red/whitish gray schemes ?

            John C
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 19, 2009
              Try this link...

              http://northshoreline.com/modelinfo2.html

              A brief note of caution to one and all... "Colors" are represented in varying degrees/scales on different computer monitors, much the same way that different lighting conditions and films portray "accurate color" in photos.

              Add to this that then whatever color gradient you choose will also be affected not only in the differences between wet paint and dry, but also the lighting of where your model is seen.

              Best bet, use the guide as a starting point, and mix/match to your personal taste and preference. There is no "right" or "wrong", even perfectly matched model paint from original samples would be "wrong" within weeks as nature/sunlight/"real" weathering took their toll on the prototype's paint.

              Enjoy !
              John C
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 19, 2009
                One more final (Really, truly final, I promise !) note..

                The listing on the northshoreline link (which is related to the aforementioned F&F article) is based on model paint formulas as those paints were available a number of years back. I beleive this
                info is about 15-20 years old at this point, and as such, some of the manufacturers have changed these colors plus/minus one way or the other, some colors may no longer be available, etc.

                Again, best practice use the guide as a start and mix/match to your preferences !

                John C
              • schlimm1946
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 19, 2009
                  Thanks! I'll be going with some in red/whitish/blueish/gray and the some in the colonial blue, white & red door schemes. My faint memories of the cars in the mid to late 50's was that they had varying degrees of fading.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 21, 2009
                    Some more model offerings on eBay, all being sold to help support IRM's efforts to bring the real ones back to Chicago.

                    Currently offered :
                    HO Scale - Brass
                    Niles 300-308
                    Niles 12
                    Stephenson 30-58, 101-109

                    HO Scale - Resin Body
                    Jewett 129-137 (Ex-North Shore cars)

                    HO Scale - Resin Kit
                    Pullman 400-419

                    O SCALE !!
                    Brass
                    St Louis - 450 series
                    Niles - 300-308
                    Kuhlman - 311-315

                    All on eBay, search for "aurora elgin".
                    Great stocking stuffers :-) and the proceeds are helping IRM bring the real ones back from Cleveland. Best wishes to all on bidding.

                    John C
                  • RD347@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 21, 2009
                      Don't get confused, these models have nothing to do with the shipping of the CA&E cars purchased from the Trolleyville collection. IRM still needs support for the shipping cost and please send donations..

                      Stan