Re: [thegreatthirdrail] Re: CA&E HO scale Models for sale
- Models will also be offered at the Elmhurst Model Swap meet on Jan 8th, better prices than Ebay..ThanksStan WdowikowskiIllinois Railway MuseumElectric Car Dept.
- Could anyone share suggestions for model paints that are generally available and reasonably close to the post-1940 color schemes used?
- Common model paint mixes were listed in an article in First and Fastest some time back, I'll dig through the pile and see if I can find it for you. Are you looking for the blue/grey/red, or the red/whitish gray schemes ?
- Try this link...
A brief note of caution to one and all... "Colors" are represented in varying degrees/scales on different computer monitors, much the same way that different lighting conditions and films portray "accurate color" in photos.
Add to this that then whatever color gradient you choose will also be affected not only in the differences between wet paint and dry, but also the lighting of where your model is seen.
Best bet, use the guide as a starting point, and mix/match to your personal taste and preference. There is no "right" or "wrong", even perfectly matched model paint from original samples would be "wrong" within weeks as nature/sunlight/"real" weathering took their toll on the prototype's paint.
- One more final (Really, truly final, I promise !) note..
The listing on the northshoreline link (which is related to the aforementioned F&F article) is based on model paint formulas as those paints were available a number of years back. I beleive this
info is about 15-20 years old at this point, and as such, some of the manufacturers have changed these colors plus/minus one way or the other, some colors may no longer be available, etc.
Again, best practice use the guide as a start and mix/match to your preferences !
- Thanks! I'll be going with some in red/whitish/blueish/gray and the some in the colonial blue, white & red door schemes. My faint memories of the cars in the mid to late 50's was that they had varying degrees of fading.
- Some more model offerings on eBay, all being sold to help support IRM's efforts to bring the real ones back to Chicago.
Currently offered :
HO Scale - Brass
Stephenson 30-58, 101-109
HO Scale - Resin Body
Jewett 129-137 (Ex-North Shore cars)
HO Scale - Resin Kit
O SCALE !!
St Louis - 450 series
Niles - 300-308
Kuhlman - 311-315
All on eBay, search for "aurora elgin".
Great stocking stuffers :-) and the proceeds are helping IRM bring the real ones back from Cleveland. Best wishes to all on bidding.
- Don't get confused, these models have nothing to do with the shipping of the CA&E cars purchased from the Trolleyville collection. IRM still needs support for the shipping cost and please send donations..Stan