new guy here, first posting

  • tommietraction
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2009

      Hi,

      Long time trolley, interurban and traction fan here,

      looking for info and photos on the Wheaton Shops.

      Also info on connection between

      C, A & E and the Fox Valley Lines.

      Also, where can I, or can I, get HO models of C, A & E trolleys?

      Also, is there contact info for the North West Traction Group

      which has a layout at the Spring High Wheeler shows at Harper College?

      I'm in Crystal Lake, IL, close enough to hear the Union Pacific.

      regards, Tommie Traction

      markeoffice@...

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2009
        Welcome !

        I don't beleive the Northwest Traction Group has a website or any "official" means of contact. If memory serves, they were part of the special Traction insert that was in Railroad Model Craftsman earlier this year,, I'm at work now so I don't have it at hand, but will check later this evening or over the weekend.

        For any CA&E (or for that matter Fox River) models, your best bet these days is either attending a traction meet (few and far between and mostly east coast these days), or eBay. CA&E cars in HO and O scales turn up there pretty regularly, I would only caution anyone to get a sense of the fair/current market values before making some random seller a rich person by bidding things out of the stratosphere.

        There's a pretty big amount of stuff out there, if you miss something you're still likely to have a shot at it again somewhere in the future. For example, Ken Kidder brought out the ex-Fox River 300 series cars in O scale brass in Sept 1961,, I've been able to get 3 of these cars so far this year and have a line on the last 4 I want,, not bad considering a nearly 50 year time span. (And the three I've gotten so far, one was original/never messed with, the other two were painted (One Shaker Hts, one a "home road"),, and all were very reasonably priced.)

        John C
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 4, 2009
          Well good news and bad news...

          Good news,
          Memory still works, the Northwest Traction Group was part of the May 2009 issue of RMC which had a special emphasis on traction.

          Bad news, no specific contact info.

          John C
        • Mark Contractor
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 4, 2009
            I'll ask at closest hobby shops...

            thanks

            Tommie Traction

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 5, 2009
              Check with the folks at Chicagoland Hobby.
              That used to be THE place for traction modeling although it has fallen off since Rich Bosak and some others have passed away.
              I know that some of the folks from NW Traction frequent the place.

              John C
            • dinwitty
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 5, 2009
                --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "thegreatthirdrail" <thegreatthirdrail@...> wrote:

                > Check with the folks at Chicagoland Hobby.
                > That used to be THE place for traction modeling although it has fallen off since Rich Bosak and some others have passed away.
                > I know that some of the folks from NW Traction frequent the place.
                >
                > John C

                let me link you here first.

                http://islandmodelworks.com/

                He doesnt have any CA&E but he doesnt need a high overhead to produce any model, if we all poke on him enough, maybe he can get down and make some CA&E.

                I have watched him put up interest for models like the new CTA stuff he has and he has produced them with great and fine detail.

                It wasn't too long ago the DownTown hobby made some CA&E kits, I recall one going up on ebay and too many buyers out there trying for just one item thats a very rare piece to find.
                I happenned to stumble on some CA&E car ends on ebay and will use one of the unbuilt North Shore kits to convert it into a Pullman car.

                The easy fix for a CA&E car is to get the Bowser Jewett car as it closely resembles some of the CA&E Jewetts. I can live with minor detail differences and your skilled enough you can mod it perfect.

                The brass do turn up every so often on ebay, but not the kits, I watch for it often all the time and nope, it does not. My layout will not have an operating CA&E but I will represent it at the Wells street station, with a parked car or 2.

                -Lynn-
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 5, 2009
                  A minor correction, the Chicagoland Traction CA&E Pullman kits have been out of production for about 25 years. Maybe we have different perspectives, but to me, that's a pretty long time.

                  The HO kits were (one man's opinion) a bit rough. The sides didn't have the nice smooth surface that the O Scale kits did. Better than nothing though. As far as the O scale kits, the resin in the very first kits is apparently not holding up very well. One of my cars which was from the very first production run literally exploded a couple weeks ago, total structural failure of one of the sides along all the window posts. I've had some communication from a couple other folks, apparently it's not an isolated incident.

                  I beleive MTS Imports has the ex-North Shore/then CA&E wood cars still available as resin cast bodies.

                  John C