Fox River car 304 arriving in South Elgin !!!

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2009
      New information, literally hot off the electronic press...

      I have been informed by the fine folks at FRTM that Fox River 304 was loaded and left Cleveland at 9:32am EST today. The car is expected to arrive sometime overnight, and be unloaded at 9 AM tomorrow (Tues, 11/3)

      The carrier will then head to East Troy, Wisc to pick-up CTA 45 which is also finding a new home in South Elgin as well.

      Anyone making the trip to South Elgin in the morning, please observe all safety considerations and help the FRTM team by NOT getting in the way ! Pictures greatly appreciated !

      John C
    • Steven Heister
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2009
      Here it is leaving Cleveland with the Rock Hall in the background and on Interstate 90 headed west.

      Steve Heister

      Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2009
        A mildly amusing/interesting story to share..

        I just a little whie ago realized that tomorrow is the 3rd.

        The last time a Fox River passenger car of any kind was at Castlemuir in South Elgin (site of FRTM), was exactly 5 months ago, on July 3rd.
        I was honored to have been asked by FRTM to show my display of models and memorabilia of the Fox River Line & CA&E, "Interurbans of The Fox Valley" for their annual CA&E July 3rd "abandonment" festivities. I have both a scratchbuilt 1/2" scale car, and at the time two O scale cars (Now I'm up to 4 O scale cars, and I have a line on the last 3 I need, but that's another story)

        All of my FRTM cars were at Castlemuir that day.

        At the time, we knew about LSE's troubles and the likely event that the cars would soon be made available. Something that had been talked about, dreamed about, and continually shot down for so many years, had another, last/best chance of coming to fruition.

        As I just related to someone from FRTM just minutes ago,,,even as we sat there talking about "possibilities",, who would have dared to dream that reality would take place exactly 5 months later to the day ? My models soon to be replaced by the real thing,, just too cool for words, I honestly feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning.

        Christmas has indeed come early this year,, and this is just the tip of the iceberg kids,, wait till FRTM gets it's St Louis car, and the Pullman, St Louis cars, and the two wood cars get to IRM...

        You stop to think about what has happened in just about a 300 mile radius of Chicago in the last 6 or so months from a railfan point of view,,

        Greatly expanded Trolley and Diesel days at IRM, new steam debuting at FRTM of all places (Leviathan), IRM getting smoke in the air with UP 428 steaming for the first time in half a century, similar steam ups down at Monticello, the trips of SP 4449 coming and going through Chicago, Trainfestival and all that steam in Owosso,NKP 765 steaming in Indiana, and now all these "new" and very historic pieces coming to IRM and FRTM (and these were just SOME the extreme highlights,, there was a hell of a lot more this summer !),, 2009 has been a
        very very special year, and 2010 is looking like it will likely top even this.
        Great time to be around !

        JC