Re: South Elgin's Rio Open Car - Early AEFRE/RELIC/FRTM Operations

    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 31, 2009
      Similarily, I have an old VHS video that was compiled by RELIC/FRTM members perhaps 10-12 years ago. Old home movies of the early days of the operations. Materials from Don Idarius, Frank Reese, Dale Crone, Joe Hazinski, Chuck Galitz and Andy Roth.

      Very interested stuff to see, this is mostly pre-car barn days, everything stored outside. Included is some extensive footage of the Rio open car in regular operations, including stops along the line to use the telephone for instructions from the dispatcher. (Real phones with wires, boys and girls, none of this wireless stuff !)

      I've asked a couple times over the years if this could be reproduced commercially, but apparently it's a combination of the economics (low rate of return for the investment) and getting copyright approvals.

      Maybe this will serve as a bit of a reminder to FRTM that such an item might have some interest ?

      John C