Re: [thegreatthirdrail] Re: wood cars

  • Larry M
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 10, 2009
    • 1 Attachment
    • 76 KB
    Do you recall if each car had to have the knife switch used from overhead to third rail or just the lead car?  Were these the Metropolitan cars?  I remember that the NSL Skokie cars flew down the grade from the Channel and coasted past Crawford.  I also think that the process was from rear car to the lead car but again I am not sure if each car had to have the switch thrown or just the lead.  The Electroliners had a switch the precluded opening a cabinet. In this case I believe that the switch from one power source to the other was internal and controlled by that switch.

    As a matter of interest I am attaching a picture showing a brand new 6000 car on the transfer table facing an open ended wooden car at Skokie Shops. Yes, I had permission to visit and take pictures.  I don't have a date but I would imagine it was around 1956 or 57.  At that time CTA was far more generous with photography at their various locations.

    Larry

    From: Larry M <minnman554212000@ yahoo.com>
    To: thegreatthirdrail@ yahoogroups. com
    Date: Friday, July 10, 2009, 6:39 PM

    I do recall the second accident and, yes, it was a matter of the motorman having one hand on the controller and the other hand on the knife switch.  I also believe it was an entire train that burned to the ground; not just a single car.  At that time I was a senior at New Trier HIgh School.  There was one snide comment that CTA was saving money by scrapping their wooden cars enroute.  Another interesting fact that the last of the open platform cars ran on the Ravenswood even though Evanston also had the ones with trolley poles as well.

    Larry

    Message 2 of 18 , Jul 10, 2009
      Scott Greig <sbgreig_m1@...> wrote:

      > What used steel interurban cars, that fit the CA&E's clearance requirements, were available immediately after WW2?

      LVT might have been open to selling some 700s to the CA&E in 1947.
      http://www.davesrailpix.com/lvt/htm/lvt120.htm
      They sold lightweights to Speedrail in '49.

      Baltimore and Annapolis gave it up around 1950 and the cars they had then could have been of use to the CA&E, though the power was different.
      http://www.davesrailpix.com/odds/md/htm/wba19.htm

      Didn't the North Shore have some dining cars which were scrapped rather than rehabbed? Those might have been of use - but an investment in rebuilding, for certain.

      I had thought earlier that the L&WV cars of Scranton might have been of use to the CA&E, but looking at photos now makes me think they were maybe 3 or 4 windows too long for rapid transit curves.

      maybe there were other options...
      O.
    • Al Reinschmidt
      Message 3 of 18 , Jul 11, 2009
        If you look at the photos of the 6000s

        http://www.davesrailpix.com/pw/htm/pw161.htm

        and the 'Liners

        http://www.davesrailpix.com/pw/htm/pw164.htm

        while on the P%W you will note that they had step extension plates at the doors as the high level platforms were farther from the track centers than in Chicago.

        Now look at this photo of LVT 710 at 69th street, no step extensions.

        http://www.davesrailpix.com/lvt/htm/lvt071.htm

        This leads me to suspect that the 700s were slightly too wide to be used in Chicago.

        --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "gauge18rr" <olanderson@...> wrote:

        > Scott Greig <sbgreig_m1@> wrote:
        > >

        > > What used steel interurban cars, that fit the CA&E's clearance requirements, were available immediately after WW2?
        >
        > LVT might have been open to selling some 700s to the CA&E in 1947.
        > http://www.davesrailpix.com/lvt/htm/lvt120.htm
        > They sold lightweights to Speedrail in '49.
        >
        > Baltimore and Annapolis gave it up around 1950 and the cars they had then could have been of use to the CA&E, though the power was different.
        > http://www.davesrailpix.com/odds/md/htm/wba19.htm
        >
        > Didn't the North Shore have some dining cars which were scrapped rather than rehabbed? Those might have been of use - but an investment in rebuilding, for certain.
        >
        > I had thought earlier that the L&WV cars of Scranton might have been of use to the CA&E, but looking at photos now makes me think they were maybe 3 or 4 windows too long for rapid transit curves.
        >
        > maybe there were other options...
        > O.

      • Larry M
        Message 4 of 18 , Jul 11, 2009
          The NSL diners remained on the property at Highwood until 1955.  I have pictures of the three cars taken in May, 1955..  Cars 414 and 416 were also former diners converted during WW2 and in the same order as Sliverliner 415 which remained as Electroliner back up until abadonmen.  414 and 416 were made into coaches with onl two motors rather than four and were usually assigned to New Trier High School service.  They had seats taken from CRT cars.  They deadheaded to Indian Hlls station and crossed over to head north to Highwood.  They were destroyed in the 1955 fire at Highwood along with a number of other cars including some trailers.

          Larry