Re: Cemetery spur

  • Randall Hicks
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
      --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, Dale Helsdon <dalec58@...> wrote:

      > If one travels along Roosevelt, east of the cemetary, there may still be remnents of the spur there.

      You really have to use your imagination to see any remnants of the branch. The only obvious place is (heading east along Roosevelt) where it curved north about a block west of Mannheim, behind some industrial buildings, and then under the IC. Farther north everything is pretty much obliterated. Too bad. Here are some pictures from 29 years ago:

      http://hickscarworks.blogspot.com/2008/06/ca-photo-album.html#Carmel

      Randall
    • Charles Happel
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
        my best guess from here is to make sure there are no breaks in the link and that the link is by itself on a single line.

        Chuck Happel

        "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."
        --Benjamin Franklin

        From: Michael Murray <themats@...>
        To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tuesday, June 2, 2009, 4:29 PM

        Here is a site with great info and some good pictures:

        http://www.greatthi rdrail.org/ routes/mt_ carmel.html

        Here is my map with placemarks indicating remnants and approximate photo locations with links.

        http://maps. google.com/ maps/ms?hl= en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&ll=41.871734, -87.8932&spn=0.022625, 0.04755&t=h&z=15&msid=10644002848261 3976414.00046b63 712eb1aba4a1f

        I'm a little sketchy on things inside of the cemetery and immediately east of there. If anyone can take a look and suggest corrections that would be great.

        Thanks,

        Mike Murray
        La Grange Park, IL

        From: RayCosyn <ray.cosyn@sbcglobal .net>
        To: thegreatthirdrail@ yahoogroups. com
        Date: Tuesday, June 2, 2009, 11:45 AM

        The branch line to Mt. Carmel started out in Bellwood and ran adjacent to route 45 (Wolf Rd? ), it then turned west before reaching Roosevelt Rd. I believe that there is still a bridge over the expressway that led to an industrial site on the south side of the expressway. I live on the west coast so I haven't seen the site in some years. I believe this line was to be expanded to provide a direct shot to Aurora through Utopia (Oak Brook) similar to the Insull's Skokie Valley line. Needless to say it never got off the ground.
        Ray Cosyn

        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
          This will probably work a little better:

          http://tinyurl.com/qdc58c

          Randall, I've included links to your pictures on the map, I hope that is ok.  If not, I'll pull them.  Also, I tried to figure out approximately where you were when you took them based on my memories of the area.  If anything is wrong, please let me know.

[...]

        • Don Ross
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
            Here is a picture of 318 on the line 52 years ago..
            http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr266.htm

            At 04:40 PM 6/2/2009, you wrote:
            >--- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, Dale Helsdon <dalec58@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > If one travels along Roosevelt, east of the cemetary, there may
            > still be remnents of the spur there.
            > >
            >You really have to use your imagination to see any remnants of the
            >branch. The only obvious place is (heading east along Roosevelt)
            >where it curved north about a block west of Mannheim, behind some
            >industrial buildings, and then under the IC. Farther north
            >everything is pretty much obliterated. Too bad. Here are some
            >pictures from 29 years ago:
            >
            >http://hickscarworks.blogspot.com/2008/06/ca-photo-album.html#Carmel
            >
            >Randall
          • T. Mealer
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
              Hey all,

              Here's a link to a ca 1939 aerial picture of the Westchester Branch / Mt Carmel Branch: http://tinyurl.com/ouamwm If you overlay Mike Murray's Google link on this, it'll line up quite nicely. Note that this is a 38 megapixel, 4.5mb jpeg image. It may take awhile to load.

              If you'd like to see the source of this picture, plus tons of other aerial shots from this era in Illinois, go here: http://www.isgs.uiuc.edu/nsdihome/webdocs/ilhap/

              You'll need a Mr Sids viewer to look at those images. The main page explains how to get it. The site is kind of frustrating to use, it's not made real clear what you gotta do.

              Mike Murray asked what you have to do to make URL's not get all garbled up. I go to http://tinyurl.com/ That will shrink down crazy long URL's.

              Regards

              T. Mealer
              Flowerfield, IL

              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
                Group,

                I've added the map to the links section of the group site.  And I finally figured out how to make the placemarks indicating location of a picture into link that actually takes you to the picture directly.

                The map can be edited by anyone, so if there are other pictures or information to be added please feel free.  The map is a lot less accurate at the west end, so I'll try to do the overlay as T. Mealer suggested.

                Don,

                I've looked at that shot a bunch of times.  Really nice.  I've added that to the map as well. Just double checking: Your shot is looking east and a little bit to the north, and the white crossbucks are on Oak Ridge Avenue.  Is that correct?

                Thanks,

                Mike Murray
                La Grange Park, IL

                At 04:40 PM 6/2/2009, you wrote:
                >--- In thegreatthirdrail@ yahoogroups. com, Dale Helsdon <dalec58@... > wrote:
                > >
                > > If one travels along Roosevelt, east of the cemetary, there may
                > still be remnents of the spur there.
                > >
                >You really have to use your imagination to see any remnants of the
                >branch. The only obvious place is (heading east along Roosevelt)
                >where it curved north about a block west of Mannheim, behind some
                >industrial buildings, and then under the IC. Farther north
                >everything is pretty much obliterated. Too bad. Here are some
                >pictures from 29 years ago:
                >
                >http://hickscarwork s.blogspot. com/2008/ 06/ca-photo- album.html# Carmel
                >
                >Randall

              • Don Ross

                  At 04:40 PM 6/2/2009, you wrote:
                  >--- In thegreatthirdrail@ yahoogroups. com, Dale Helsdon <dalec58@... > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > If one travels along Roosevelt, east of the cemetary, there may
                  > still be remnents of the spur there.
                  > >
                  >You really have to use your imagination to see any remnants of the
                  >branch. The only obvious place is (heading east along Roosevelt)
                  >where it curved north about a block west of Mannheim, behind some
                  >industrial buildings, and then under the IC. Farther north
                  >everything is pretty much obliterated. Too bad. Here are some
                  >pictures from 29 years ago:
                  >
                  > http://hickscarwork s.blogspot. com/2008/ 06/ca-photo- album.html# Carmel
                  >
                  >Randall

                • riispark99
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 3, 2009
                    I just want to thank all of you who responded to my question about the Mt. Carmel cemetery spur. I especially want to say thanks to Mike Murray for his work on tracing the route over the present google earth map. That was terrific! I had for years thought that the Westchester branch went up to Mannheim Rd then went south on the east side of the street. Thanks to Micheal I now know that it was the Mt. Carmel spur and that it crossed Mannheim shortly after turning south.

                    It's great to keep find new things to learn about the CA&E

                    Ken

                    --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, Michael Murray <themats@...> wrote:

                    > Group,
                    >
                    > I've added the map to the links section of the group site.  And I finally figured out how to make the placemarks indicating location of a picture into link that actually takes you to the picture directly.
                    >
                    > The map can be edited by anyone, so if there are other pictures or information to be added please feel free.  The map is a lot less accurate at the west end, so I'll try to do the overlay as T. Mealer suggested.
                    >
                    > Don,
                    >
                    > I've looked at that shot a bunch of times.  Really nice.  I've added that to the map as well. Just double checking: Your shot is looking east and a little bit to the north, and the white crossbucks are on Oak Ridge Avenue.  Is that correct?
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Mike Murray
                    > La Grange Park, IL

                  • Seth Bramson
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 3, 2009
                      >>>As I tell my students:

                      The beauty of this wonderful--but not quite yet perfected medium--is that,
                      through it, we find something new and we learn something new every day.

                      I will send another reminder of this coming weekend's St. Charles show
                      shortly!

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 3, 2009
                        Ken,

                        Glad I could help.  I'd been meaning to do something like that anyway, so you provided the impetus to do so!  If I have time over the summer I may try to do the same thing for other parts of the C.A.& E.

                        Mike Murray
                        La Grange Park, IL

                        I just want to thank all of you who responded to my question about the Mt. Carmel cemetery spur. I especially want to say thanks to Mike Murray for his work on tracing the route over the present google earth map. That was terrific! I had for years thought that the Westchester branch went up to Mannheim Rd then went south on the east side of the street. Thanks to Micheal I now know that it was the Mt. Carmel spur and that it crossed Mannheim shortly after turning south.

                        It's great to keep find new things to learn about the CA&E

                        Ken

                        --- In thegreatthirdrail@ yahoogroups. com, Michael Murray <themats@... > wrote:

                        > Group,
                        >
                        > I've added the map to the links section of the group site.  And I finally figured out how to make the placemarks indicating location of a picture into link that actually takes you to the picture directly.
                        >
                        > The map can be edited by anyone, so if there are other pictures or information to be added please feel free.  The map is a lot less accurate at the west end, so I'll try to do the overlay as T. Mealer suggested.
                        >
                        > Don,
                        >
                        > I've looked at that shot a bunch of times.  Really nice.  I've added that to the map as well. Just double checking: Your shot is looking east and a little bit to the north, and the white crossbucks are on Oak Ridge Avenue.  Is that correct?
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        >
                        > Mike Murray
                        > La Grange Park, IL

                      • Michael Murray
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 3, 2009
                          The plan isn't entirely fool-proof.  All of the photos I tried to link from the www.chicago-l.org  website say I don't have permission, so you'll have to check them out at their page for the Westchester Branch:

                          http://www.chicago-l.org/operations/lines/westchester.html

                          While there click on the links to the individual stations for Bellwood, Canterbury, and 22nd & Mannheim for more pictures.

                          Mike Murray
                          La Grange Park, IL

                          Glad I could help.  I'd been meaning to do something like that anyway, so you provided the impetus to do so!  If I have time over the summer I may try to do the same thing for other parts of the C.A.& E.

                          Mike Murray
                          La Grange Park, IL

                          I just want to thank all of you who responded to my question about the Mt. Carmel cemetery spur. I especially want to say thanks to Mike Murray for his work on tracing the route over the present google earth map. That was terrific! I had for years thought that the Westchester branch went up to Mannheim Rd then went south on the east side of the street. Thanks to Micheal I now know that it was the Mt. Carmel spur and that it crossed Mannheim shortly after turning south.

                          It's great to keep find new things to learn about the CA&E

                          Ken

                          --- In thegreatthirdrail@ yahoogroups. com, Michael Murray <themats@... > wrote:

                          > Group,
                          >
                          > I've added the map to the links section of the group site.  And I finally figured out how to make the placemarks indicating location of a picture into link that actually takes you to the picture directly.
                          >
                          > The map can be edited by anyone, so if there are other pictures or information to be added please feel free.  The map is a lot less accurate at the west end, so I'll try to do the overlay as T. Mealer suggested.
                          >
                          > Don,
                          >
                          > I've looked at that shot a bunch of times.  Really nice.  I've added that to the map as well. Just double checking: Your shot is looking east and a little bit to the north, and the white crossbucks are on Oak Ridge Avenue.  Is that correct?
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          >
                          > Mike Murray
                          > La Grange Park, IL

                        • Seth Bramson
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 3, 2009
                            Mike and all on this list:

                            Hoping to see--and meet some of--you this coming weekend at the St. Charles show!

                          • Scott Greig
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 3, 2009
                              I don't know if I'll be able to make it...I may be helping a couple of friends go through a collection.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 3, 2009
                                We'll hate to miss you.

                                Why not bring your friends and the collection and let me buy some of it at the show?!!

                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 3, 2009
                                  I'll hate to miss it too!

                                  Why not bring your friends and the collection and let me buy some of it at the show?!!
                                  From: Seth Bramson <sbramson@...>
                                  To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com
                                  Date: Wednesday, June 3, 2009, 8:11 PM

                                  Mike and all on this list:

                                  Hoping to see--and meet some of--you this coming weekend at the St. Charles show!

                                • tom leaton
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 3, 2009
                                    This aerial photo collection is remarkable.  You can take an aerial trip over Illinois around 1940 and see things that are lng gone.
                                    Dupage county image 26 depicts the intersection of Roosevelt and main in Lombard.  Lombard airport at Finley and Main can be seen, as well as part o flowerfield curve.
                                    Image 19 contains the CA&E Wheaton yards.
                                    --TL

                                    To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: bikertrash99@...
                                    Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 01:32:43 +0000