Re: [thegreatthirdrail] Re: 3 @ Aurora

  • John Almond
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30, 2009
      Re: [thegreatthirdrail] Re: 3 @ Aurora Your answers are good thoughts.  All make sense.

      Have you checked out the ROARIN’ ELGIN shirts on EBAY under sasme?

      John in Tucson

      On 4/30/09 9:58 AM, "Mitch Markovitz" <art.mark@...> wrote:

      --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com <mailto:thegreatthirdrail%40yahoogroups.com> , "John Almond" <almondj@...> wrote:

      > I just posted a portion of a slide recently made available.  Can somebody explain why a pair of cars are waiting in a siding while one car is "active"?  This is at Aurora.

      From what I know historicly and practicly you need spares. If a car came in and the air went, or the controls didn'[t work on the east end there's no time to deadhead a car from Wheaton. Most likely the cars were either for a later evening run where more traffic was expected, or it's a Sunday and the cars are for the morning rush on Monday.

      Or...There was a fan trip and the extra is in the siding.

      Mitch

    • roygbenedict@juno.com
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2 9:32 AM
        As part of its normal operating routine, CA&E laid up equipment at various points including the Aurora Terminal siding and Eggert's near National St., Elgin overnight and weekends, and a pocket east of Batavia Jct., various sidings west of Forest Park, and Laramie Ave. and Wells St., Chicago in middays. This practice reduced mileage-related costs such as power and some car maintenance items.

        Train crews rode scheduled trains, picked up the equipment, prepared it for service (reversing seats, etc.), and departed on their schedule. From a comparison of westbound and eastbound schedules, one could probably guess which equipment originated at Aurora in the morning. And it was explictly noted in the employee timetables.

        I presume that the equipment had a fairly regular scheduled rotatation so that every car would return to Wheaton frequently enough for attention from the car cleaners, as well as maintenance inspections. But I've never seen anything in writing that specified how it was achieved. With its short runs, the CA&E did not consider it necessary to clean cars after every one-way trip.

        Today valuable assets probably wouldn't be left unattended, but it was fairly common in the CA&E's time. The CA&E had some extra protection compared to other railroads in the form of public fear of the third rail (not that the Aurora location benefited directly from it).

        ROY G. BENEDICT | Publishers' services
        PO Box 368, River Grove IL 60171 � R-Benedict-11@...
        Voice, message and fax: (773) 625-5263
        .
        .

        From: "John Almond" <almondj@...>
        To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [thegreatthirdrail] 3 @ Aurora
        Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 16:39:30 -0000

        Message 3 of 11 , May 2 10:30 AM
          Re: [thegreatthirdrail] 3 @ Aurora Your response is appreciated.  It makes a lot of common sense.

          Can you imagine the graffiti if such a procedure was followed today?

          John in Tucson

          PO Box 368, River Grove IL 60171   �   R-Benedict-11@... <mailto:R-Benedict-11%40alumni.uchicago.edu>

          From: "John Almond" <almondj@... <mailto:almondj%40comcast.net> >
          To: thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com <mailto:thegreatthirdrail%40yahoogroups.com>
          Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 16:39:30 -0000

          I just posted a portion of a slide recently made available. Can somebody explain why a pair of cars are waiting in a siding while one car is "active"? This is at Aurora.

        • George Foelschow
          Message 4 of 11 , May 3 11:18 AM
            In the post-1953 era, CA&E lined up three weekday early morning trains at the Riverside Drive Elgin terminal: the 6:10, 6:50, and 7:14 departures. I don't know which trains came from Eggert siding, but it was obviously a "last in first out" situation.

            On one memorable Saturday afternoon, I was on my lunch break from Blum's Restaurant checking out the cars at Eggert siding and encountered a group of toughs from Wheaton hanging out at National Street station. This resulted in an altercation that left me slightly bloody with a ripped shirt. I doubt that my opponents were Wheaton College students, given my knowledge of that institution.
          • John Almond
            Message 5 of 11 , May 3 12:52 PM
              Re: [thegreatthirdrail] AM Rush in Elgin ( was: 3 @ Aurora) You are the third person who provided great information about parked trains.  Where was Eggert in relationship to the Elgin terminal?  I was raised in Wheaton and do not remember any toughs.  The few problem children seemed to live in Warrenville (Diddy Wah to WCHS students).

              John in Tucson

              On 5/3/09 11:18 AM, "George Foelschow" <gfoelschow@...> wrote:

              In the post-1953 era, CA&E lined up three weekday early morning trains at the Riverside Drive Elgin terminal: the 6:10, 6:50, and 7:14 departures. I don't know which trains came from Eggert siding, but it was obviously a "last in first out" situation.

              On one memorable Saturday afternoon, I was on my lunch break from Blum's Restaurant checking out the cars at Eggert siding and encountered a group of toughs from Wheaton hanging out at National Street station. This resulted in an altercation that left me slightly bloody with a ripped shirt. I doubt that my opponents were Wheaton College students, given my knowledge of that institution.

            • John Gorak
              Message 6 of 11 , May 3 2:50 PM

                Thank goodness, someone remembers the old "Diddy Wah" designaion given to Warrenville. I lived next to the tracks outside the Wiesbrook road stop, but my family considered us part of Warrenville. I don't remember any toughs there either, except the parking section along railroad ave near the C,A&E station was a magnet for teenagers to park and smooch, and I remember a lot of them came from other towns and tried to "look" tough.  Warrenville was not incorporated at that time. I believe the "Diddy Wah" was hand painted on the C,A&E bridge over the DuPage river in Warrenville - I remember being there for years. Does anyone remember what year it was created?
                Also, does anyone in this group have, or know of, any photos of C,A & E at St. James farm? Especially with the wooden car bridge for "Old Butterfield - later Hoy" that it went under.  This would be tremendous if I could find some. Thanks.

                John Gorak                email: epopt@...

                Message 7 of 11 , May 3 4:20 PM
                  --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, John Almond <almondj@...> wrote:

                  > You are the third person who provided great information about parked trains.
                  > Where was Eggert in relationship to the Elgin terminal? I was raised in
                  > Wheaton and do not remember any toughs. The few problem children seemed to
                  > live in Warrenville (Diddy Wah to WCHS students).
                  >
                  > John in Tucson

                  "Eggert" is shorthand for the sidings and coach storage tracks between Lake Street and National Street in Elgin. The CA&E stored cars in a siding directly behind the site of the Fox River Division's Grove Avenue carhouse, inherited by Elgin City Lines as a bus garage. Please refer to the maps in CERA B-105, page IV-11 or Plachno's Volume I, page 120. Both maps were drawn by a noted cartographer.

                  My mention of toughs from Wheaton riding the CA&E to stir up trouble in Elgin unfortunately reinforces the NIMBY arguments against new rail transit - that it will enable the wrong people to invade the neighborhoods of the righteous. I'm sure most people from Wheaton were, and are to this day, law-abiding.
                • doug polhamius
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 3 9:58 PM
                    Wheaton College?
                    Amen.
                    Doug, in Utah

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 4 10:01 AM
                      Eggert (later Strown) was one of the coal retailers in the northeast quadrant of the CA&E main and National St., thus less than a mile from Elgin terminal, under trolley wire all the way in the later years of the railroad.

                      From: John Almond <almondj@...>
                      To: <thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com>
                      Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 12:52:25 -0700