Re: Clintonville Substation

  • mr77100
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 21 4:08 PM
      --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "gauge18rr" <olanderson@...> wrote:

      > I see some new photos uploaded to the Elgin branch folder. Did the photographer see if the CA&E illuminated signal was still there, in the parking lot for the model railroad club? It was one of those yellow flag boards, and I recall it being lit up at night.
      > Thanks,
      > O. Anderson

      I took those pictures as well as the ones of Dunham Road. I did see a signal, but it was in the grass and not in the parking lot. How often is the substation open to visitors? BTW, changes are coming to Dunham Rd. The fill of the CA&E has been removed between the IC and IL 25 overpass for a storage yard. The ROW appears to be wrapped alongside Dunham Rd. and will use that bridge to pass over the IC and then swing back onto its own ROW and pass over IL 25. I guess the IC bridge and embankment between it and Dunham Rd will be removed. :O(
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2009
        Had an answer for this last week and neglected to post it.

        Had the opportunity to be in the neighborhood last Saturday and drove past. The semaphore signal is still in place, although I can't say for sure that it is wired and lit up at night (drove by mid-afternoon)

        I know the model rr club that occupies the building had some difficulties in recent times with wind damage to their roof. Anyone know the status of those repairs ? Also the Prince Crossing building, also being rehabbed for another model rr club. I heard great things with these folks and then suddenly nothing, at least publicly. How are they doing ?
      • Mike Clancy
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2009
          I ride the Great Western Trail and Prairie Path quite often...past both substations. I will stop by and find out what the status is when possible. Does anyone know about the bike path bridge that is to be built in Wayne over the EJE line?