Re: CA&E / AE&FRE Display at High Wheeler Show-New Home Page Photo

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2009
      As I put the finishing touches on some of the elements of the afore-
      mentioned display, I'll post some here for those that aren't in the
      area to attend the show.

      Our new home page photo is AE&FRE #48 (ex Aurora Plainfield & Joliet
      #101) This is the rarity of Birney cars on the AE&FRE, it has a single
      set of doors at each end. All the other AE&FRE Birneys had double sets
      of doors. This car operated primarily in Aurora city service.

      The model is a standard Corgi diecast, with some modifications.
      The roof vents were changed, new headlights, trolley retrivers
      repositioned, the window guards trimmed to a more appropriate size, and
      of course, new paint and lettering. (If anyone wants AE&FRE lettering,
      contact me off-list, I had to produce my own lettering and decals,
      happy to share with anyone interested.

      I'll put a photo album up in the next couple of days to share as much
      of the display on-line as possible.

      John
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2009
        I have posted an album of photos of the display entitled "High Wheeler 2009" in the photo section. The display was very well received and I would like to thank a few people especially for their interest and support.

        This includes (but is by no means limited to) :
        Ed Halstead
        Ralph Taylor from FRTM
        Joe Hazinski from FRTM
        Jim Gonyo from FRTM
        Jeff Delhaye from IRM
        The Villa Park Historical Society
        and the members of Midwest Rails (a large scale modular railroad club)

        It was especially nice in a public railroad show like this where so many of the visitors are at best casually interested in trains or the idea thereof, to be able to stir and rekindle some memories of times and trains past.

        I promise to expand and continue this display, including hopefully finally finishing the 1:6 scale AEFRE Birney this spring. Watch for announcements of other display dates.

        Thanks again for the interest and support !
        John