309 Dedication Day at IRM - A report

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2008
      Possibly the nicest day of 2008 so far, bright, clear, crisp, not
      too hot, and the mosquitos haven't quite hatched as yet. A perfect
      backdrop for the formal rededication of CA&E #309 and it's return to
      service at IRM.

      The car posed in the center door of Barn 4, under the big CA&E sign,
      served as a podium for a short series of remarks by IRM's President,
      Ray Pieschuk, IRM General Manager, Nick Kallas, and finally the
      project member and frequent contributor to our little group Randall
      Hicks.

      A banner was strung across the door, 309 motored through briskly
      (really no other way to describe it), and then was coupled up to the
      308 for a series of mainline runs. Cake and refreshments were served
      prior to the runs.

      The 308/309 train ran flawlessly, briskly (really, just the best way
      to describe it) taking power and moving almost effortlessly down the
      mainline. As someone who's ridden the IRM mainline far too many times
      to count over the last 35 -40 years, my attention is usually focused
      inside the car I'm in, and the amount of detail and painstaking work
      really is on display. Some things you have to really know a bit about
      to understand and appreciate to put them into the right perspective
      (for example the hand lettering through out the cars), down to things
      that you've seen a hundred times but then somehow seem almost new for
      the first time (I was drawn to the overhead storage bins, they're so
      small, almost dainty, they almost seem to be to quaint to actually be
      functional or useful on any level !)

      For a really good understanding of a lot of this type of stuff, as
      well as to what goes into making it all come back to life, Randall's
      blog, Hicks Car Works is really required reading.

      http://hickscarworks.blogspot.com/

      Overall just a good day with good people, getting their well deserved
      day in the limelight. Randall noted that he'd spent roughly 30 years
      so far on this, one day in the sun out of all that work really is a
      horrible ratio, but your work will live on and be appreciated for
      many more years to come, because of the collected work and sacrifices
      of your team. Congratulations to all and I think I can speak for all
      of us, Thank you.

      John C
      (Photos posted in the Photos section)
    • Randall Hicks
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6, 2008
        Thanks for the kind words, John. We were all gratified by the public
        appreciation for our work, it makes it all worth while. See you soon!

        Randy
      • Randall Hicks
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 22, 2008
          We now have some professional video of the dedication ceremony posted
          to our blog, for the benefit of those who couldn't be there:

          http://hickscarworks.blogspot.com/2008/07/video-of-309-dedication.html

          Randall

          Visit Hicks Car Works!
          http://hickscarworks.blogspot.com/