CA&E Step Box

  • Randall Hicks
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 3 7:27 PM
      Does anyone have an authentic CA&E step box? If so, how would you
      like to post a picture or two, along with some measurements - height,
      width, and length would be enough. Thanks!

      Randall
    • seth bramson
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 3 7:36 PM
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 3 8:46 PM
          I've seen exactly two TMER&L marked dining car items
          (both silver pieces), and never a menu outside of
          pictures!

          Do we even know that the CA&E used step boxes? I
          tried for years to find out if sister company CNS&M
          ever used step boxes; my final conclusion was that
          they did not.

          --- seth bramson <sbramson@...> wrote:

> [...]
          mailto:thegreatthirdrail-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        • seth bramson
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 4 4:38 AM
            From: "Scott Greig" <sbgreig_m1@...>
            Subject: Re: [thegreatthirdrail] CA&E Step Box

            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 4 5:05 AM
              No actual proof either way,,, but from a practical/logical point of
              view I think the evidence would point away from such use. The fast
              load/unload turn around times would likely prohibit use of step boxes,
              at least to my opinion.

              I've never seen any photos of step boxes in use on the CA&E or North
              Shore, close scrutiny of photos at terminals, shop areas, etc.
              where "extra" equipment like headlights and all might be stored don't
              seem to show any boxes either.

              Obviously Randy is looking to make a replica box if such boxes ever
              existed,, a corollary question might be, where/are step boxes stock
              catalog type items that might have common dimensions ?

              John
            • seth bramson
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 4 5:31 AM
                From: "thegreatthirdrail" <thegreatthirdrail@...>
                Subject: [thegreatthirdrail] Re: CA&E Step Box

                > No actual proof either way,,, but from a practical/logical point of
                > view I think the evidence would point away from such use. The fast
                > load/unload turn around times would likely prohibit use of step boxes,
                > at least to my opinion.
                >
                > I've never seen any photos of step boxes in use on the CA&E or North
                > Shore, close scrutiny of photos at terminals, shop areas, etc.
                > where "extra" equipment like headlights and all might be stored don't
                > seem to show any boxes either.

                >>>Valid points, but an imp't ?: Were the trap door steps low enough and
                >>>close enough to the ground that female passengers and children could take
                >>>one step and be on the car?

                Even though I rode the N. S. I can't remember if step boxes were used.

                > Obviously Randy is looking to make a replica box if such boxes ever
                > existed,, a corollary question might be, where/are step boxes stock
                > catalog type items that might have common dimensions ?

                >>>Several of the railroad supply companies made step boxes. I can't think
                >>>of the names right now, but, if nobody has same on hand I can go the the
                >>>rrdiana@... list and ask them who made step boxes.
              • Lee Wells
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 4 6:56 AM

                  I don’t remember any step boxes, either. (But, memory from that long ago isn’t totally accurate).

                  However, when wandering around the Wheaton yards after abandonment, you’d think we would have stumbled across some. One per car? One per two cars? Anyway, there would have been a lot, if they existed. Only east Bellwood were the higher platforms, and there would have been no need there… I agree that we would have seen them in the shops (stored) or left in the cars….plus, one conductor for many cars would have made their use difficult.

                  lrw

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 4 9:36 AM
                    --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Wells" <drlee@...> wrote:

                    > I don't remember any step boxes, either. (But, memory from that long ago
                    > isn't totally accurate).

                    No, I'm sure you're right. I was thinking of at least one picture in
                    Johnson's book as showing a step box in use, but on closer inspection
                    I was wrong. Sorry to bother everybody - that's sort of embarrassing.
                    But those wood cars sure have the world's worst step design. A lot
                    of our visitors have trouble climbing into the car. Maybe what I
                    really need is a wooden ramp with four steps in place of the two.
                  • Joe Stupar
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 4 10:11 AM
                      I just wanted to comment on something interesting I
                      noticed, with the NSL and CA&E cars, and platforms.
                      Out at IRM, the platform seems very low when making
                      the first step onto the car, but it would seem that
                      the platform could not possibly be any higher, since a
                      lot of 3rd rail shoes will 'ride' on the wooden edge
                      of the platform. Some of us have nicknamed it the
                      wooden 3rd rail. A couple of months ago, I was
                      watching a NSL video which showed a close up of a
                      train coming into Great Lakes in the middle of winter.
                      The 3rd rail shoes were plowing their way through
                      drifts of snow shoveled off the platform. The ground
                      level platforms were outside the clearance zone of the
                      3rd rail shoes, and higher than them. This meant
                      people might have had to extend their foot farther,
                      but that the step could have been a lot lower. This
                      might account for people remembering things
                      differently. Of course, this still doesn't explain the
                      two very steep steps on the wood cars when compared to
                      3 steps on the steels or NSL cars.

                      Joe

                    • Ed Halstead
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 4 11:10 AM
                        Randall, I have a step box that the prior owner told me was from the
                        CSS&SB. It's not marked CSS&SB and is painted silver. It's in the
                        garage. If you want the dimensions I can get them and forward them to
                        you.

                        Ed
                        --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "Randall Hicks"
                        <randallhicks@...> wrote:

                        > Does anyone have an authentic CA&E step box? If so, how would you
                        > like to post a picture or two, along with some measurements - height,
                        > width, and length would be enough. Thanks!
                        >
                        > Randall

                      • Randall Hicks
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 4 12:52 PM
                          --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Halstead" <lkh604@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Randall, I have a step box that the prior owner told me was from the
                          > CSS&SB. It's not marked CSS&SB and is painted silver. It's in the
                          > garage. If you want the dimensions I can get them and forward them to
                          > you.
                          >
                          > Ed

                          That would be great. Thanks!

                          Randall
                          Visit Hicks Car Works!
                          http://hickscarworks.blogspot.com
                        • David Koyzis
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 4 6:33 PM

                            Here is an article that will interest members of this group, given the elaborate model railway in the basement of this building: County assures museum is not endangered.

                            David

                          • roygbenedict@juno.com
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 5 7:07 PM
                              I agree with Scott (below) that the North Shore Line did NOT use step boxes to my knowledge, and I agree with the inference that the CA&E did NOT use step boxes either.

                              I am sure that the CA&E did NOT use step boxes at the flag stations west of Wheaton while I used them in the last four years of operation. I seldom used the stations east of Wheaton, but I clearly remember getting off a PM rush period train at Berkeley with NO assistance. The doors and traps were just left open, I suppose the whole way from Bellwood to Wheaton.

                              I am sure that the Batavia shuttle car did NOT carry a step box in either vestibule, and I doubt that any other train did.

                              I have boarded and left South Shore Line trains at a great many low platforms over the past 50 years and never saw a step box on that line.

                              I don't think that step boxes were used on most of the typical interurban railways elsewhere. The great number of local stops would have mitigated against them.

                              ROY G. BENEDICT | Publishers' services
                              PO Box 368, River Grove IL 60171 � R-Benedict-11@...
                              Voice, message and fax: (773) 625-5263
                              .
                              .

                              Scott Greig wrote:

                              . . . Do we even know that the CA&E used step boxes? I
                              tried for years to find out if sister company CNS&M
                              ever used step boxes; my final conclusion was that
                              they did not.
                            • Ray Cosyn
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 5 10:13 PM

                                Having ridden the Aurora and Elgin multiple times in my life,I can ever remember then using step boxes to assist people on or off the train.Ditto the North Shore,as my grandmother used to ride it to and from Chicago from Wilmette and I can never remember her being assisted on or off the train with a step box.

                                PO Box 368, River Grove IL 60171 � R-Benedict-11@ alumni.uchicago. edu

                                Scott Greig wrote:

                                . . . Do we even know that the CA&E used step boxes? I
                                tried for years to find out if sister company CNS&M
                                ever used step boxes; my final conclusion was that
                                they did not.

                              • thosleaton
                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 6 2:54 PM
                                  While the CA&E seldom used raised "L" type platforms ( in Cook County
                                  and at Eola and Aurora), remember that they did build station
                                  platforms that were at about as high as the railhead, so step boxes
                                  may not have been a dire necessity.

                                  Cheers

                                  TUL

                                  --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "seth bramson"

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 10 3:54 PM
                                    <randallhicks@...> wrote:

                                    > Does anyone have an authentic CA&E step box? If so, how would you
                                    > like to post a picture or two, along with some measurements - height,
                                    > width, and length would be enough. Thanks!
                                    >
                                    > Randall

                                    Randell, please excuse the delay in responding with the measements, I
                                    had to install a new computer at home. The top of the step stool I have
                                    is 14" x 16", the bottom is 18" x 20", and it is 11" high. I think
                                    there was an article on building a step stool in Model Railroader but I
                                    don't know what issue. Feel free to contact me by email for photos.

                                    Ed
                                  • Randall Hicks
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Apr 10 7:41 PM
                                      wrote:

                                      > --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "Randall Hicks"
                                      > <randallhicks@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Does anyone have an authentic CA&E step box? If so, how would you
                                      > > like to post a picture or two, along with some measurements - height,
                                      > > width, and length would be enough. Thanks!
                                      > >
                                      > > Randall
                                      > >
                                      > Randell, please excuse the delay in responding with the measements, I
                                      > had to install a new computer at home. The top of the step stool I have
                                      > is 14" x 16", the bottom is 18" x 20", and it is 11" high. I think
                                      > there was an article on building a step stool in Model Railroader but I
                                      > don't know what issue. Feel free to contact me by email for photos.
                                      >
                                      > Ed

                                      Thanks, Ed, that will help get me started. I will probably make a
                                      crude test box out of plywood to those measurements and see if it
                                      helps at all next time the car is parked at the depot. Thanks to the
                                      collective wisdom of everybody, we now know there was no such thing as
                                      a CA&E step box, so the final product won't have to follow any actual
                                      prototype, I guess.