Re: [thegreatthirdrail] CTA to Yorktown

  • Tom Thomas
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22, 2008
      I posted similar comments to yours on the Chicago Tribune's website in response to the article.

      Those of us here all have known for years (some of us since abandonment) that the decision to allow the CA&E to expire was incredibly shortsighted.  The Westchester "L" could have easily and cheaply been extended out 22nd St. to Oakbrook and beyond back in the late 1960's when that are was starting to develop - regardless of what happened to the CA&E mainline to Wheaton.

      Now it looks like it's going to cost billions to replace a transit system that was once in perfect working order but was not in favor because interstate highway building was.

      Tom Thomas

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 24, 2008
        Don't hold your breath. The Illinois politicians of the day are
        unlikely to invest in anything that they don't control, which rules
        out DuPage County, for the next couple of years. As has been noted,
        they have had many chances to invest in rail transit and consistently
        fail to come through. The truth is that they are having a tough time
        funding the rail transit that currently exists. ( They should take
        lessons from Kenosha). Talk is cheap, though, and it can get a press
        release into the newspaper. --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com,
        "rpcosyn" <ray.cosyn@...> wrote:

        > I can't believe it. After all these years the politicians have come to
        > realize that the CTA needs to be extended to Yorktown. If our beloved
        > CA&E had been allowed to live a short time longer it could have been
        > easily extended to serve much of the area now tied up in traffic. The
        > plan to extend the Blue line west through Forest Park resonated with
        > me. In fact the high peed cut off to Aurora that Insull had envisioned
        > in the 20s, would have probably have met most of the requirements now
        > being recognized. Long live the Roaring-Elgin.

      • gauge18rr
        Message 3 of 4 , May 27, 2008
          It's interesting that the Westchester Line was originally planned to run all the way to
          Yorktown Mall and reach the Aurora line near Winfield. I wonder if the failed 1920s
          housing development in Westchester (now the Wolf Road Prairie) was intertwined with this
          plan - and perhaps Insull's collapse.

          I think a more practical extension of the Blue Line Follows the CA&E/CGW lines, then turns
          south along Manneheim, and back east to a park-n-ride at the mall near Wolf Road and I-
          290. From there, good luck with any future extensions. The price of land is sky high and
          DuPage politics would probably discourage participation with the City's transit system.

          I proposed this extension 15 years ago in the CATS planning process, and it was
          summarily dismissed at the time. Opportunities still exist to add express tracks to the
          Blue Line in the Ike ROW, which was planned and provided for the CA&E to utilize.
          O. Anderson