Re: CA&E bridge in Wheaton

  • glen brewer
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2007
      I'm sure there must be lots more I too would love to see. We have seen
      some good ones from several contributors.

      Most of this group has already seen my four page photos essay at:

      http://www.homestaydenver.com/cae

      or for the short version see:

      http://www.railroadphotoessays.com/forum/showthread.php?t=748

      Glen
    • Jim K.
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2007
        > > Most of this group has already seen my four page photos essay at:

        Glen:

        I just took a look at your photos! They are great! Although, the photos
        of lifeless cars in the Wheaton Yard and the cars tipped over and
        burned really make me sad!

        Thanks!

        Jim K.
      • David Koyzis
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2007

          Although I was born only two years before passenger service ended on the CA&E, the bridge over the C&NW tracks was very much a part of my childhood. Our family moved to Childs Street in 1958. Because Childs Street did not yet go through to the east, we would generally go downtown Wheaton by driving up Woodlawn to Manchester Road, turning left onto Bridge Street over the C&NW tracks and then right on Front Street. We children somehow connected the Bridge Street bridge and the CA&E bridge, calling the first the “Big Daddy Bridge” and the latter the “Big Mommy Bridge.” I remember the scrapping operations and the removal of the north part of the bridge over Front and Wesley, as well as that over West Liberty Drive. Even then as a child I wished I had been able to experience the CA&E in action. I was just born a little too late for that.

          David

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2007
            Thanks Jim,

            I felt that way too. I almost didn't take the photos, and I don't
            believe I ever returned to the yard after that day -- it was just too
            depressing.

            It was only then that I finally had to concede that it was all over
            for the CA&E -- there was no longer any hope for a long discussed revival.

            By the way, on Railroadphotoessays.com you may view several other
            essays of mine including my ride on the Northshore.

            Glen