Re: [thegreatthirdrail] Re: Other signal quetions

  • roygbenedict@juno.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 22, 2007
      I think Tom (below) is right about green gate indicators on CA&E, but I have only the vaguest recollection of them. (Maybe they weren't on the western part of the railroad, which fascinated me the most.)

      CTA also uses green indicators at street crossings: flashing green while gates are descending, steady green when they are down.

      At selected crossings the South Shore used flashing red and flashing lunar white for the same thing, displayed in two-light signal cases which were secondhand from the Indiana Service Corporation where they had been block signals. The South Shore no longer has gate indicators, but one of the cases is at Illinois Railway Museum again serving as a block signal.

      Most railroads didn't have special gate indicators, but the crossing flasher housings had small side openings which displayed a flashing white light. Modern ones provide the side indication with white LEDs and the warning to highway traffic with a larger number of red LEDs.

      ROY G. BENEDICT | Publishers' services
      PO Box 368, River Grove IL 60171 � R-Benedict-11@...
      Voice, message and fax: (773) 625-5263
      .
      .

      Glen,

      I believe that this was a signal that lit up a flashing green as the
      crossing gates were descending, so the motorman could be aware of
      possible collision hazards. There were also found at York Street
      Elmhurst, for one. They can be seen in the CA&E cab ride video.

      The unit had about a 9" clear fresnel lens, behind which was a
      smaller green lens. I examined one after abandonment. (Heavy, too).

      I seem to recall seeing one on the South Shore at Tremont

      Cheers

      Tom Leaton

      --- In thegreatthirdrail@yahoogroups.com, "glen brewer" <gbrewer@...>