Re: [The Great Subaru BRAT Club] 83 Brat -- tires/wheels question

  • matt hammond
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 12, 2006
      I have 185/80/13`s on my 81 which is the biggest 13 i know of. they barely clear the suspension on the back side wall but there is no problem with them. i recomend goodyears or the cheaper but same tread pattern if you can find them Warriors

      cldaustin <cldaustin@...> wrote: We just bought an 83 Brat for down on the old family ranch. Would like
      to know the largest tires (and/or wheels) that we can put on it without
      doing a lift job or cutting back the fenders. There's often a lot of
      mud down on the property, so the bigger the tires the better. (I've
      been warned that tire retailers don't know a thing about Brats ;-)

      We hope we have served you well.
      The Great Subaru Brat Club presented by: www.SubaruBrat.com
      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Christi Dennis
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 12, 2006
        Thanks -- had a chance to buy four Forester wheels with almost new tires for a total of $99! Looks like that won't work and I'll have to stick with th 13" rims....sigh!

        Chris

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 15, 2006
          barnyard boys sells an adapter to put 5 lug forester wheels on your four lug car.

          Christi Dennis <cldaustin@...> wrote: Thanks -- had a chance to buy four Forester wheels with almost new tires for a total of $99! Looks like that won't work and I'll have to stick with th 13" rims....sigh!

          Chris

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 20, 2006
            You can either spend up huge on 5 lug adapters or new 4x140 rims. Or
            you can convert to the jap 6 lug (6x139.7)as showed here
            http://subarubrat.com/6lugconv.htm or on my own site
            http://offroadingsubarus.com/6stud_conversion.html. When you go to 6
            lug you have a huge choice of junkyard rims. Anywhere from 14" to 17"
            +. On a 14" rim with a 23mm offset (very commen offset for 14" 6 lug
            rims) you will be able to go upto 195/70R14 or 25" outside diameter I
            think. But I haven't tried it. Just make sure you get a better offset
            then the standard rims, other wise you'll have problems with the
            spring purch.
            I run 27" Kumho M/T's on my 2" lifted Brat. I had to hammer the fender
            wall in about an inch where it rubbed. and cut the fenders back about
            a inch too, heres a write up on that
            http://offroadingsubarus.com/fenders.html.

            I have seen a Subaru hatchback (same body as a Brat really) running
            28" tires with no lift. So if your happy to cut a little you can go
            quite big with a lug conversion of some kind.

            Phizinza
            www.offroadingsubarus.com

            > Christi Dennis <cldaustin@...> wrote: Thanks -- had a
            chance to buy four Forester wheels with almost new tires for a total
            of $99! Looks like that won't work and I'll have to stick with th 13"
            rims....sigh!

            > Chris

          • Burt
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 20, 2006
              I have seen this trick before, and I wonder if the thinner web where you
              drill the hub is strong enough for the studs? Has anyone ever seen
              cracking or other issues after drilling? I would be willing to try it,
              but am afraid of having something crack and then ...

              Also, lifting a '79? How, where do you get the longer steering
              connector? I really only want to lift the front about an inch to level
              it out...

              Burt
              The ethnocentric, right wing, pseudo-scientific nut case.

              phizinza wrote:
              > You can either spend up huge on 5 lug adapters or new 4x140 rims. Or
              > you can convert to the jap 6 lug (6x139.7)as showed here
              > http://subarubrat.com/6lugconv.htm or on my own site
              > http://offroadingsubarus.com/6stud_conversion.html. When you go to 6
              > lug you have a huge choice of junkyard rims. Anywhere from 14" to 17"
              > +. On a 14" rim with a 23mm offset (very commen offset for 14" 6 lug
              > rims) you will be able to go upto 195/70R14 or 25" outside diameter I
              > think. But I haven't tried it. Just make sure you get a better offset
              > then the standard rims, other wise you'll have problems with the
              > spring purch.
              > I run 27" Kumho M/T's on my 2" lifted Brat. I had to hammer the fender
              > wall in about an inch where it rubbed. and cut the fenders back about
              > a inch too, heres a write up on that
              > http://offroadingsubarus.com/fenders.html.
              >
              > I have seen a Subaru hatchback (same body as a Brat really) running
              > 28" tires with no lift. So if your happy to cut a little you can go
              > quite big with a lug conversion of some kind.
            • John J. Hertog
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 20, 2006
                Don't forget that, with much larger tires and wheels, your Brat will lose
                gas mileage and power ... and become very unpleasant to drive on a highway.

                By the way: looking to purchase used Gen2 Brat , bad motor OK, bad trans OK,
                some minor rust OK, to replace my poor, rusted out '87. Just can't drive it
                anymore, it finally broke in half despite the 100 welds and patches that
                were still holding it together. I am located in Long Island, NY and am
                willing to travel or even have soemthing shipped here. Don't want a show
                Brat, just something solid enough to last me a few more years. Can't imagine
                going thru life without a Brat. Please contact me at:
                crossram@... if you have anything you think I may be able to use

                John Hertog
                Sag Harbor NY

                _____

                You can either spend up huge on 5 lug adapters or new 4x140 rims. Or
                you can convert to the jap 6 lug (6x139.7)as showed here
                http://subarubrat. <http://subarubrat.com/6lugconv.htm> com/6lugconv.htm or
                on my own site
                http://offroadingsu <http://offroadingsubarus.com/6stud_conversion.html.>
                http://offroadingsu <http://offroadingsubarus.com/fenders.html.>
                barus.com/fenders.html.

                I have seen a Subaru hatchback (same body as a Brat really) running
                28" tires with no lift. So if your happy to cut a little you can go
                quite big with a lug conversion of some kind.

                Phizinza
                www.offroadingsubarus.com

                > Christi Dennis <cldaustin@...> wrote: Thanks -- had a
                chance to buy four Forester wheels with almost new tires for a total
                of $99! Looks like that won't work and I'll have to stick with th 13"
                rims....sigh!

                > Chris

              • phizinza
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 20, 2006
                  I can't say I have seen any problems with the hubs. I've heard of new
                  studs striping, but I just recycled old ones for a wreck. I did have a
                  issue where the studs wouldn't hold into the hubs, so I welded them
                  in. Completely illegal, but I doubt the local cop is gonna notice 6
                  lugs instead of 4. I doubt he even knows how many a sube is suppose to
                  have.

                  When I made a 2" lift for a 83 wagon I just cut the steering piece,
                  got a bit of pipe which fit around the outside and welded it back
                  together about 1.5" longer...

                  I have never worked on a Gen 1 before, but I would love to. Gotta find
                  some money and a Gen 1 GL Brat! :-D

                  Cheers,
                  Phizinza

                  --- In thegreatsubarubratclub@yahoogroups.com, Burt <hawkwolf223@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I have seen this trick before, and I wonder if the thinner web where
                  you
                  > drill the hub is strong enough for the studs? Has anyone ever seen
                  > cracking or other issues after drilling? I would be willing to try it,
                  > but am afraid of having something crack and then ...
                  >
                  > Also, lifting a '79? How, where do you get the longer steering
                  > connector? I really only want to lift the front about an inch to level
                  > it out...
                  >
                  > Burt
                  > The ethnocentric, right wing, pseudo-scientific nut case.
                • David Maunder
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 20, 2006
                    > When I made a 2" lift for a 83 wagon I just cut the steering
                    > piece, got a bit of pipe which fit around the outside and
                    > welded it back together about 1.5" longer...

                    Heh! I did bloody the !!exact!! same thing on my brumby when I did my
                    six inch.
                    Got pulled over by the local roads and traffic authority mob and got a
                    red sticker plus a $600 fine for doing that.
                    I was just stupid in the fact that I did the weld in about 10 mins to
                    get my car on the road, and I didn't care how it looked.
                    If I had of spent a bit more time, cleaned it up, made it look nice and
                    pretty and original, they wouldn't have noticed.
                    (...or if I had of done it properly in the first place and used bits and
                    pieces to make a six inch extension rod.)
                  • JASON THOMAS
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 22, 2006
                      If you have an old rear hub that is worn the easiest trick is to knock out 2 opposing studs and bolt the remaining studs throug 2 of the opposing six lug holes. Draw it up tight and drill through the old stud holes in the old hub. It makes a nice drilling jig. Then turn over the wheel and use a larger drill bit or ream to countersink the new holes for the lug nuts. Then you can keep your 4 lug patern and an old smaller wheel for a spare under the hood.

                      Burt <hawkwolf223@...> wrote: I have seen this trick before, and I wonder if the thinner web where you

                      phizinza wrote:
                      > You can either spend up huge on 5 lug adapters or new 4x140 rims. Or
                      > you can convert to the jap 6 lug (6x139.7)as showed here
                      > http://subarubrat.com/6lugconv.htm or on my own site
                      > http://offroadingsubarus.com/6stud_conversion.html. When you go to 6
                      > lug you have a huge choice of junkyard rims. Anywhere from 14" to 17"
                      > +. On a 14" rim with a 23mm offset (very commen offset for 14" 6 lug
                      > rims) you will be able to go upto 195/70R14 or 25" outside diameter I
                      > think. But I haven't tried it. Just make sure you get a better offset
                      > then the standard rims, other wise you'll have problems with the
                      > spring purch.
                      > I run 27" Kumho M/T's on my 2" lifted Brat. I had to hammer the fender
                      > wall in about an inch where it rubbed. and cut the fenders back about
                      > a inch too, heres a write up on that
                      > http://offroadingsubarus.com/fenders.html.
                      >
                      > I have seen a Subaru hatchback (same body as a Brat really) running
                      > 28" tires with no lift. So if your happy to cut a little you can go
                      > quite big with a lug conversion of some kind.

                    • jcwrogers
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 23, 2006
                        Why bother doing all that when you can just find some Peugeot 504 15"
                        steel wheels or 604 alloys at a scrappy, Ive done just that and have
                        put 195 60 15s on them

                        --- In thegreatsubarubratclub@yahoogroups.com, JASON THOMAS
                        <uglymobile@...> wrote:

                        > If you have an old rear hub that is worn the easiest trick is to
                        knock out 2 opposing studs and bolt the remaining studs throug 2 of
                        the opposing six lug holes. Draw it up tight and drill through the
                        old stud holes in the old hub. It makes a nice drilling jig. Then
                        turn over the wheel and use a larger drill bit or ream to countersink
                        the new holes for the lug nuts. Then you can keep your 4 lug patern
                        and an old smaller wheel for a spare under the hood.

                        > Burt <hawkwolf223@...> wrote: I have seen this trick
                        before, and I wonder if the thinner web where you
                        > drill the hub is strong enough for the studs? Has anyone ever seen
                        > cracking or other issues after drilling? I would be willing to try
                        it,
                        > but am afraid of having something crack and then ...
                        >
                        > Also, lifting a '79? How, where do you get the longer steering
                        > connector? I really only want to lift the front about an inch to
                        level
                        > it out...
                        >
                        > Burt
                        > The ethnocentric, right wing, pseudo-scientific nut case.
                        >
                        > phizinza wrote:
                        > > You can either spend up huge on 5 lug adapters or new 4x140 rims.
                        Or
                        > > you can convert to the jap 6 lug (6x139.7)as showed here
                        > > http://subarubrat.com/6lugconv.htm or on my own site
                        > > http://offroadingsubarus.com/6stud_conversion.html. When you go
                        to 6
                        > > lug you have a huge choice of junkyard rims. Anywhere from 14" to
                        17"
                        > > +. On a 14" rim with a 23mm offset (very commen offset for 14" 6
                        lug
                        > > rims) you will be able to go upto 195/70R14 or 25" outside
                        diameter I
                        > > think. But I haven't tried it. Just make sure you get a better
                        offset
                        > > then the standard rims, other wise you'll have problems with the
                        > > spring purch.
                        > > I run 27" Kumho M/T's on my 2" lifted Brat. I had to hammer the
                        fender
                        > > wall in about an inch where it rubbed. and cut the fenders back
                        about
                        > > a inch too, heres a write up on that
                        > > http://offroadingsubarus.com/fenders.html.
                        > >
                        > > I have seen a Subaru hatchback (same body as a Brat really)
                        running
                        > > 28" tires with no lift. So if your happy to cut a little you can
                        go
                        > > quite big with a lug conversion of some kind.

                      • glenparke
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 27, 2006
                          I was just admiring Michael Christie's wheels and tires over at
                          http://www.subarubrat.com/ejconversion.htm. They look like peugeot
                          wheels. Is there someone out there more educated than me that can tell
                          the size of the wheels and tires on this rig?

                          thanks,
                          ~Glen

                          <uglymobile@...> wrote:

                          > barnyard boys sells an adapter to put 5 lug forester wheels on your
                          four lug car.

                          > Christi Dennis <cldaustin@...> wrote: Thanks -- had a
                          chance to buy four Forester wheels with almost new tires for a total
                          of $99! Looks like that won't work and I'll have to stick with th 13"
                          rims....sigh!

                          > Chris

                        • David Maunder
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 27, 2006
                            > I was just admiring Michael Christie's wheels and tires over
                            > at http://www.subarubrat.com/ejconversion.htm. They look like
                            > peugeot wheels. Is there someone out there more educated than
                            > me that can tell the size of the wheels and tires on this rig?

                            As per message 5519, (or the third last post)

                            >>Why bother doing all that when you can just find some Peugeot 504 15"
                            >>steel wheels or 604 alloys at a scrappy, Ive done just that and have
                            >>put 195 60 15s on them

                            Which is probably why peeps do 6 lug conversions. Them Peugeot rims look
                            !way! ugly to me.
                          • Selrahc68
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 28, 2006
                              that EJ conversion is sweet! anyone know if and how this can be done
                              to a gen 1 brat? (i have a 77)

                              thx, c

                              --- In thegreatsubarubratclub@yahoogroups.com, glenparke
                              <no_reply@...> wrote:

                              > I was just admiring Michael Christie's wheels and tires over at
                              > http://www.subarubrat.com/ejconversion.htm. They look like peugeot
                              > wheels. Is there someone out there more educated than me that can tell
                              > the size of the wheels and tires on this rig?
                              >
                              > thanks,
                              > ~Glen
                              >
                              > --- In thegreatsubarubratclub@yahoogroups.com, JASON THOMAS
                              > <uglymobile@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > barnyard boys sells an adapter to put 5 lug forester wheels on your
                              > four lug car.
                              > >
                              > > Christi Dennis <cldaustin@> wrote: Thanks -- had a
                              > chance to buy four Forester wheels with almost new tires for a total
                              > of $99! Looks like that won't work and I'll have to stick with th 13"
                              > rims....sigh!
                              > >
                              > > Chris

                            • JASON THOMAS
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 30, 2006
                                here in the us Peugeot cars are verry scarce.

                                jcwrogers <jcwrogers@...> wrote: Why bother doing all that when you can just find some Peugeot 504 15"

                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 30, 2006
                                  True dat. I ask and ask, but nobody has ever seen any of those wheels.
                                  Of course, I keep looking. One day, maybe ...

                                • haddockace@comcast.net
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 1, 2006
                                    I was in a Junk yard in Abeline Texas a few months ago, and they had at least 3 peugeots. They also had about 30 older subarus. I wasn't able to get much of anything since I had to fly back to Florida, but it was the best lot for Subarus I've ever seen.

                                    The bad news is there must have been a bad hailstorm out there, because all the hoods, trunks, and roofs were pretty much destroyed. Other than that they were pretty much rust free.

                                    From: Burt <hawkwolf223@...>