Re: Pasteing a drawing or picture into a grahic

  • Sonia Santos-Wallin
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2007
      I opened another layer and was able to paste and resize the graphic.
      But it covered up my text and I could not figure out how to go between
      the layers to then go move the text from out under the icon.

      I think maybe I should go through a simple tutorial on basic stuff. I
      looked through the GIMP site and could not find a basic tutorial.

      --- In the gimp2@yahoogroups.com, Portman <mrport@...> wrote:

      > Try making a new layer, pasting the .jpg into the new layer and go from
      > there. Let me know if that doesn't help - I am not 100% sure of what
      > you're asking.
      >
      > Riva
      >
      > Sonia Santos-Wallin wrote:
      > > I am a novice to graphic arts. I am trying to paste a drawing into a
      > > graphic that I created. Th graphic is a 650 X 120 pixel rectangle with
      > > one text box.I am trying to get a icon .jpg into the graphic.
      > >
      > > Help please.

    • Portman
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2007
        If you press Ctrl+L, it should open the Layers panel. There you can see
        the layers and move them, etc.

        Sonia Santos-Wallin wrote:
        > I opened another layer and was able to paste and resize the graphic.
        > But it covered up my text and I could not figure out how to go between
        > the layers to then go move the text from out under the icon.
        >
        > I think maybe I should go through a simple tutorial on basic stuff. I
        > looked through the GIMP site and could not find a basic tutorial.
      • racertj5
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2007
          --- In thegimp2@yahoogroups.com, Portman <mrport@...> wrote:

          > If you press Ctrl+L, it should open the Layers panel. There you can
          see
          > the layers and move them, etc.
          >
          > Sonia Santos-Wallin wrote:
          > > I opened another layer and was able to paste and resize the graphic.
          > > But it covered up my text and I could not figure out how to go
          between
          > > the layers to then go move the text from out under the icon.
          > >
          > > I think maybe I should go through a simple tutorial on basic stuff.
          > > looked through the GIMP site and could not find a basic tutorial.

          If you go to www.GimpTalk.com they have tons of tutorials. Including a
          learn Gimp Interface tutorial so go check them out and join us.
        • synthmdl76
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
            So is pasting a image from the clipboard the only way to get a jpg or
            any image on to a layer? I was looking for a "insert image" command
            or something of that nature.

            --- In thegimp2@yahoogroups.com, Portman <mrport@...> wrote:

            > Try making a new layer, pasting the .jpg into the new layer and go from
            > there. Let me know if that doesn't help - I am not 100% sure of what
            > you're asking.
            >
            > Riva
            >
            > Sonia Santos-Wallin wrote:
            > > I am a novice to graphic arts. I am trying to paste a drawing into a
            > > graphic that I created. Th graphic is a 650 X 120 pixel rectangle with
            > > one text box.I am trying to get a icon .jpg into the graphic.
            > >
            > > Help please.

          • Portman
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
              You can always try Open as Layer under the file menu (in the picture). I
              use that a lot.

              synthmdl76 wrote:
              > So is pasting a image from the clipboard the only way to get a jpg or
              > any image on to a layer? I was looking for a "insert image" command
              > or something of that nature.
            • Dale Welch
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
                or if you see it in windows explorer you can just drag it on top of the picture.
                i think it will open as a new layer of that image.
                actually quite niclely named as the filename.
                it works in linux from konqueror and i think it works from windows explorer.

                --- dale